Skip to content

Antichickenator and luck.

I just failed another antichickenator and lost 2 000 experience that would be very useful for my low level party. And as i'm playing no-reload it's a lost cause and purely dependant on luck.

What i would like to ask is that the next time you do the quest, could you post here if you got it on your first try, or how many loads you had to take to get it to work.

1.) First try?

2.) Failed first time, how many times did you have to load?

Would be really happy if you could remember this thread the next time you do the quest, and just make a quick post.

Comments

• WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I will do that if I remember :)
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    That quest has a 50% chance to end up as a failure.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I don't think I've ever had it fail, but then I haven't played the game as much as many of you here.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Aranthys said:

Is there any source for this information? I'm not saying that you're not right, i'm just curious as it really doesn't seem to be 50% in my experience.

I would like to think i have done the quest around 50-60 times when playing no-reload, and it's probably succeeded roughly 15-20%, then again i might just be unlucky.

• BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    Successful on third try. Might be stupid question, but is it possible that this "luck" roll has anything at all to do with difficulty settings?
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited October 2013
    That's the annoying thing about RNG...it can say 93% and fail dozens of times, and not be wrong.

From my experience it's pretty much accurate. Most of the time works, and if I do reload it usually works within 1 or 2 tries.

I didn't realize it had a chance for failure until about 12 or so times doing that quest.

And it's not even really a chance. It's just rolling a d100 and if it's equal or lower to the "chance", it works, if not it fails.

Successful on third try. Might be stupid question, but is it possible that this "luck" roll has anything at all to do with difficulty settings?

I have tried everything from putting it to easy, doing the conversation with someone having high INT/WIS/CHA and then different classes. Nothing seems to change, even tried the luck spell and it still failed.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Successful on my first try.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I think it is determined when you pick up either the chicken or the skull (I'm not sure which) so you have to go back quite a long way to reroll the dice
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    edited October 2013
    I'm pretty sure it has 50% chance of succeeding. I could check the script it uses when I get home if you want.

It might also be directly in the dialog file, not sure.
    edited October 2013
    ajwz said:

I think it is determined when you pick up either the chicken or the skull (I'm not sure which) so you have to go back quite a long way to reroll the dice

It's possible to just keep reloading until you succeede. Get the skull and give in melicamp, then save your game and talk to the mage and he will throw the spell. If he fails to turn him human just reload right before he throws the spell.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    edited October 2013
    It's handled in a script and it's 50/50.

If you want to see the script.
    [SPOILER]
    IF
    Trigger(1)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #50
    StartCutSceneMode()
    Face(SSW)
    SmallWait(1)
    ForceSpell("Melicamp",EFFECT_ONLY)
    Wait(1)
    ActionOverride("Melicamp",Polymorph(MAGE_MALE_HUMAN_LOW))
    EndCutSceneMode()
    RESPONSE #50
    StartCutSceneMode()
    Face(SSW)
    SmallWait(1)
    Wait(1)
    Kill("Melicamp")
    EndCutSceneMode()
    END
    [/SPOILER]
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    SionIV said:

Aranthys said:

Is there any source for this information? I'm not saying that you're not right, i'm just curious as it really doesn't seem to be 50% in my experience.

I would like to think i have done the quest around 50-60 times when playing no-reload, and it's probably succeeded roughly 15-20%, then again i might just be unlucky.

I read that somewhere, and it's pretty consistent with my own findings. Reloading or twice on a fail is usually enough.
    Balquo said:

It's handled in a script and it's 50/50.

If you want to see the script.
    [SPOILER]

IF
    Trigger(1)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #50
    StartCutSceneMode()
    Face(SSW)
    SmallWait(1)
    Wait(1)
    EndCutSceneMode()
    RESPONSE #50
    StartCutSceneMode()
    Face(SSW)
    SmallWait(1)
    Wait(1)
    Kill("Melicamp")
    EndCutSceneMode()
    END
    [/SPOILER]
    Thank you very much.
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    It took 13 reloads last time I tried. I genuinely started thinking I broke the game, but I guess it's just coincidence. So I got pissed and killed Thalantyr afterwards.
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400

I always think you should at least get half experience even if Melicamp ends up as lunch. After all you've done your bit and it isn't your fault Thalantyr can't change him back. And surely watching a guy being turned from a talking chicken into a bucket of KFC is worth some kind of EXP reward? I mean it's not the kind of thing you see every day.

I foresee a KFC mod coming up, where evil characters can sell fried chicken wings to nobles.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Last play through I think it was 6 reloads. Not very good odds for me.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Last 2 runs it worked without reloads. Both times, I picked up a skull before the chicken due to my habit of making the first skull I find Xzar's familiar. I've rarely seen the spell fail.
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251

That's the annoying thing about RNG...it can say 93% and fail dozens of times, and not be wrong.

From my experience it's pretty much accurate. Most of the time works, and if I do reload it usually works within 1 or 2 tries.

I didn't realize it had a chance for failure until about 12 or so times doing that quest.

And it's not even really a chance. It's just rolling a d100 and if it's equal or lower to the "chance", it works, if not it fails.

Without wanting to get all maths all over the place, I'm interested in why you wouldn't call rolling a dice to check something a 'chance '. Surely as long as the two outcomes are equally likely the method of resolving a chance don't affect that it is a 50% chance.