Skip to content

The Tales of Sima Jin - A Noober's Journey in BG 2 (Blind Let's Play Series) COMPLETED

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    @artificial_sunlight

Autosave? I haven't changed any settings regarding that. I think I just get an auto-save each time I enter a new area. I actually forget to quick-save as often as I should, especially for a blind run. Like my first party wipe was in the D'Arnise Keep, thanks to my first encounter with a Yuan-ti Mage, which forced to do redo a fair bit cos I had no recent saves.

Also if u like epic/interesting/tough battles, you should check out my escape from Spellhold when I get around to uploading it. That was one of the most memorable battles of any games I've played so far lol.
  • Durlag_ThunderaxeDurlag_Thunderaxe Member Posts: 71
    Ah good... I see you got Keldorn. He's very strong and very useful, but I'd have probably swapped out Anomen instead of Jaheira. Not just cos Anomen's annoying, but Keldorn and Anomen share the same weakness...

Anyways, good work :)
    Heindrich
    @Durlag_Thunderaxe

Yeah I guess you mean Dexterity. I didn't intend to use Keldorn for long anyway, but it ended up longer than intended lol. And I was briefly tempted to keep Keldorn cos he already had more xp than everyone else in the party, and god-forbid if I lose anyone permanently, I will probably come crying back to Keldorn as a replacement. Jaheira is coming back of course, I cannot imagine travelling without her. :)
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    I mean autopause :p
    @artificial_sunlight

lol okay :P

Yes I auto-pause cos I half the time I have no idea what an enemy is the first time it is encountered, not to mention I am similarly clueless of which spells to throw in which situations. If I didn't auto-pause, I wouldn't make it outta Irenicus' dungeon. =D
    edited August 2013
    New Video Highlights

9) Cult of the Unseeing Eye
    Hoping to gain the favour and assistance of the Temple of Helm in rescuing Imoen, Jin prepares to head deeper into the Temple Sewers to investigate the mysterious Cult of the Unseeing Eye.

10) Pit of the Faithless
    Jin and his companions plunge deeper still into the Pit of the Faithless, where they come face to face with unimaginable horrors, including the Beholders and the Unseeing Eye himself. Jin seriously regrets not buying the Shield of Balduran...

BelgarathMTH

@Durlag_Thunderaxe

Yeah I guess you mean Dexterity. I didn't intend to use Keldorn for long anyway, but it ended up longer than intended lol. And I was briefly tempted to keep Keldorn cos he already had more xp than everyone else in the party, and god-forbid if I lose anyone permanently, I will probably come crying back to Keldorn as a replacement. Jaheira is coming back of course, I cannot imagine travelling without her. :)

Oh I see you already removed Keldorn again. Personally I think he's awesome and I almost always run with him from beginning to the end. He just laughs in the face of Horror, Chaos, and all sorts of status effects, frees up ur mages from having to memorise Dispel. He is the only one who can wield arguably the best weapon in the game. But it's ur game of course, and your team is pretty strong regardless, u shud be able to finish the game alright anyway.
    Heindrich
    CHAPTER 3

11) The Lesser of Two Evils
    Unable to secure practical assistance from the Temple of Helm, and ever more desperate to rescue Imoen from the Cowled Wizards, Jin relents and seeks the assistance of the Shadow Thieves. Shortly afterwards, he receives a dark vision... Imoen is in terrible danger!

Video Highlights:

12) Spiders spiders everywhere!
    The party finally finds an entrance to the lower tombs and the presumed lair of Bhodi. They find no vampires but lots and lots of spiders... Minsc may have developed arachnophobia after this...

edited August 2013
    CHAPTER 4

13) Setting Sail for Spellhold
    Stocked up on supplies, Jin and company board the pirate ship captained by the flamboyant Saemon Havarian, eager to set sail for the island of Brynnlaw and the Cowled Wizards' stronghold prison of Spellhold.

Post edited by Heindrich on
    edited August 2013
    Video Highlights:

14) Perth the Adept
    The party stumbles into the home of a local Cowled Wizard whilst searching for a merchant. Something seemed to be wrong with him and he attacked without provocation... and soon proves that he was indeed 'adept' at his profession.

Video Highlights:

15) Lost Souls
    Jin finally wins the battle within... only to discover that Irenicus' evil plan has come to fruition regardless.

Video Highlights:

16) Battle of the Asylum

Imoen has been petrified, Minsc, Jaheira and Aerie have fallen. Battered and exhausted by the trials of the Asylum and its many horrors, Jin and Anomen come face-to-face with Irenicus himself. Their only hope of victory and saving themselves and their friends? ... A small army composed of the mad prisoners of the Asylum...

Durlag_ThunderaxeBelgarathMTHFredjo
    ^
    lol that battle was awesome!
    BelgarathMTH

^
    lol that battle was awesome!

Thanks ^.^

I can't say it went to plan... well I didn't really have one anyway. But it ended up being the most epic event of my BG 2 playthough so far.

BelgarathMTH
    Video Update

17) Into the Underdark

Having survived the horrors of the Asylum, a Githyanki attack on the high seas and a vicious civil war in the Sahuagin City of Caverns, Jin and the party find little respite as they find themselves trapped in the Underdark...

BelgarathMTH
    edited September 2013
    New Highlights:

18) My First Lich!

The party encounter and destroy a group of Drow, apparently guarding a mysterious prison device of some arcane design. Worried that innocents maybe trapped within the Drow device, Jin naively tries to release the prisoners. Unfortunately the first prisoner of the Drow to emerge turns out to be a Lich... who shows little gratitude for those who set him free.

19) A Balor Problem

Jin agree to help the Svirfneblin deal with a monster they accidentally unleashed whilst digging in the depths of Underdark. The Svirfneblin did not mention that this monster was a Balor Demon, a General of the armies of Hell! Jin thought the Tanar'ri were bad... this guy rules Tanar'ri.

New Highlights:

20) The Children of Demogorgon

Tempted by the promise of a reward. Jin foolishly offers a sacrifice to Demogorgon, hoping to obtain artefacts of power that would enable him to confront Irenicus and recover his lost soul.

ps: This was the second attempt at this. I was totally surprised to get ambushed by 5 (five!) Demon Knights the first time around and got slaughtered. That video is in Part 267.
    New Highlights:

21) Jin Hates Beholders!

Too stingy/thrifty to buy the Shield of Balduran to counter such a specific enemy, and not expecting to encounter Beholders again after confronting the Cult of the Eyeless, Jin and co. wander headlong into the Southern Tunnels of the Underdark, where upon they are greeted by a Beholder and an Elder Orb...

edited September 2013
    New Highlights:

22) The Illithid Master Brain

Abandoned by the Githyanki, Jin and the party are forced to battle through Illithid infested corridors to the Master Brain, the nerve centre of the Mind Flayer colony. Only by defeating its guardians and destroying the Master Brain can the party hope to make their escape from the accursed Illithid City.

New Highlights:

23) An Unexpected Battle

The party depart Ust Natha and head back into the dangerous wilderness of the Underdark tunnels towards the Illithid settlement they had so recently fled from in order to save Faere, daughter of one of the most powerful Matron Mothers of Ust Natha. Before they meet up with Soulafein, the party stumble headlong into an ragtag band of adventurers who attack on sight. A desperate and unexpected battle for survival ensues...

New Highlights:

24) Deirex's Tower

Shortly after an audience with Matron Mother Ardulace, Jin and the party are duped into making an unwelcome entry into Deirex's Tower, an ancient Lich dwelling in the heart of Ust Natha. Deirex's powers eclipse even those of Alchra Diggot, but thankfully, this time the encounter with a Lich did not come as a surprise...

• MoonsongMoonsong Member Posts: 36
    I just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed watching these videos so far. I really liked how you reasoned through the conversation between Anomen and his father today.
    @Moonsong

Oh thanks, much appreciated! I know it's a really noobie effort, both in terms of my gameplay and recording, so I am always pleasantly surprised some people seem to like it. :D

Unfortunately, for various reasons I've not played in a couple of months... but I have not given up that LP. In fact I'm trying to improve my technical setup to improve the audio quality. I just worked out how to separate my game audio and commentary audio, and remove the white noise from the latter. Now I am trying to find an alternative video editing software that can combine the two files and compress them. Hopefully I will get things up and going again in the next few days!
    New Highlights:

25) Return to the Beholder Lair

Emboldened by their victories in the Underdark, Jin and the party return to the Beholder Lair in the Southern Tunnels of the Underdark, in search of an Elder Orb to obtain the necessary ingredients for the Matron Mother Ardulace to perform her dark ritual.

This is one of the first videos after a significant break from the game, so bear with me for being even more noobie than usual... On the plus side I think I've worked out how to improve the quality of the videos, more specifically the audio.

BelgarathMTH
    26) The Dark Ritual

Having obtained the grisly ingredients from the Beholders, Mind Flayers and Kuo-toans, and the Matron Mother Ardulace finally begins her dark ritual to summon a Demon Lord from the pits of hell to assist the Drow in their planned invasion of the surface. Jin and company have played along with his disguise as Veldrin, but with Adalon's eggs in imminent danger, they are forced to break cover and intervene. A desperate battle ensues in the heart of Ust Natha...

BelgarathMTH
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Looks like that demon needed +4 weapons to hit. Melf's Minute Meteors count as +5 weapons, so that was the only thing you had that could hurt it. (Good thing you had enough of the spell memorized!)

Another problem I saw was that you only had one Lower Resistance spell, which wasn't enough to get through his magic resistance - I like to always have at least three Lower Resistance spells available - three of them will lower resistance by 90 percent, which will almost always be required to open up offensive spell use on dragons and demons. (He might have had innate resistance to spells below a certain level, like liches and rakshasa, though.)

All those Breaches weren't doing you any good, because it was the demon's innate immunity to all weapons lower than +4 that was causing the problem, not spell protections.

Exciting battle there, and gratz on winning! It's really fun to watch one of these epic fights where the player doesn't already know what's going on and how to counter it.
    Heindrich

Looks like that demon needed +4 weapons to hit. Melf's Minute Meteors count as +5 weapons, so that was the only thing you had that could hurt it. (Good thing you had enough of the spell memorized!)

Another problem I saw was that you only had one Lower Resistance spell, which wasn't enough to get through his magic resistance - I like to always have at least three Lower Resistance spells available - three of them will lower resistance by 90 percent, which will almost always be required to open up offensive spell use on dragons and demons. (He might have had innate resistance to spells below a certain level, like liches and rakshasa, though.)

All those Breaches weren't doing you any good, because it was the demon's innate immunity to all weapons lower than +4 that was causing the problem, not spell protections.

Exciting battle there, and gratz on winning! It's really fun to watch one of these epic fights where the player doesn't already know what's going on and how to counter it.

Oh that's actually really illuminating. One thing that makes BG particularly difficult is that even when you defeat a particularly enemy, it is not always clear how. :D I had thought that maybe had a multiple levels of magical protections that required multiple Breaches to get through, and maybe Breaches have a chance of failure.

So let me get this right, Magical Resistance can prevent incoming magical damage, but what protected him from Celestial Fury and Flail of Ages was his innate immunity to even +4 weapons (OMG?!)... So my best options was probably to reduce his magical resistance and then use offensive magic like Flame Arrow?
    27) The Shadow Dragon

In order to defeat the Shade Lord responsible for the terrible suffering inflicted on the people of the Umar Hills, Jin and the party must first get past his guardian, a mighty Shadow Dragon. Instead of using the Shadow Dragon ward stone to sneak past the powerful beast, the courageous heroes attempt the unthinkable... Using the ward stone to approach the dragon unnoticed, they launch a surprise attack in an attempt to slay the monster and destroy its evil once and for all.

BelgarathMTHDurlag_Thunderaxe
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Heindrich1988, getting rid of his magic resistance might have opened him up to be vulnerable to everything from magic missiles to horrid wilting - unless he was innately immune to spells below a certain level, like a lich. I apologize that I don't know that about that particular demon. Do any forum experts reading this know whether that demon had innate spell level resistance?

I think you happened across a rock solid strategy by accident - Melf's Minute Meteors. It might have been easier if you'd had more of them, and had started using them sooner, simultaneously with Jin, Aerie, and Imoen. Your video shows a textbook case of why Melf's Minute Meteors is one of the best spells in the game. That spell has gotten me out of so many tight spots, I can't tell you.