Skip to content

Sub Races gonna make it in before the release of bg 2?

qwert_44643qwert_44643 Member Posts: 311
edited October 2013 in Feature Requests
Im just wondering if subraces are gonna make it in before bg2ee gets released?
Post edited by Dee on
RAM021

Comments

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Why would they make it at all? I didn't think they were adding them. =/
  • qwert_44643qwert_44643 Member Posts: 311
    i thought that they might be from something i read a while back....dont remember to much bout it.
  • PadentonPadenton Member Posts: 48
    I think I remember hearing them say no, for plot reasons. They'd probably be willing to set it up so modders can do it though...
  • SasayakiSasayaki Member Posts: 137
    edited October 2013
    My understanding is that there will be no subraces for BG:EE or BG2:EE, because the engine's races are hard-coded in. IE, checking race works something like this:

IF (race) = "Elf" then
    { do blah }
    ELSE IF (race) = "Half-Elf" then
    { do blah }
    (etc etc)
    ELSE
    { error }

And that's probably in a lot of places.

That said... races doesn't seem to be that much of a factor in most of BG and BG2. They probably could add a bunch of subraces without changing too much, but in all likelihood it's too much effort. HOWEVER... they wouldn't be able to add a subrace that already exists.

For example, adding subraces like Drow means that Viconia, Baeloth, etc will have to have their dialogue options adjusted; particularly Viconia, who constantly refers to you as a surface dweller and treats you like you have no idea what the Drow are and how they act (especially in BG 2 during her romance). Adding Avarel would have a similar problem with Aerie, along with questions like "WHY CAN'T I FLY?". Same with Tiefling and Hael'Daris, to a lesser extent.

There's also balance problems. A Drow monk by about level 14 will be 104% immune to magic, which is a problem when your final bosses (in BG and TOB) are spellcasters.

You could probably have different kinds of halflings, dwarves and gnomes with no worries, and you might be able to have sun elves and moon elves and whatnot. But because of the plot, I wouldn't expect Drow, or Avarel, or Tieflings.

Aasimar could be a thing though.

aqzina
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    To be honest, subraces are pretty pointless for a game like baldur's gate where there's very few references or reactions to the race of CHARNAME.
    alnairCrevsDaak
  • LuxeflexLuxeflex Member Posts: 7
    Subraces might just complicate the gameplay and make the NPC-subraces (Aerie, Viconia, Hear'Dahlis) not as special anymore.
  • RemenissionsRemenissions Member Posts: 102
    Plot reasons, change in almost all NPC-dialogue, and because it's based off v2.5 which the standard players handbook had no subraces.
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    As it would change lots of content if done as races, in some cases this could be simulated in class kits for the "non-game-changing" subraces (like different types of dwarves or halflings) – but that's a thing for modders, nothing that important to be "official".
  • ThunderThunder Member Posts: 157
    Why is this thread posted in this section of the forum? Could it be moved, please?
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    @Dee can that thread be moved to the "Feature request" section of the forum ? (Or be merged with the similar thread that's already there ?)
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Moving it now.

Subraces won't be done any time soon, if at all. There are a lot of factors to consider.
    alnairEudaemonium
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    edited October 2013
    @Aranthys I don't think it's pointless to add subraces simply because there is no in-game reference to them...by that logic, why even have kits? It's never referenced that the player character is a bounty hunter, assassin or blackguard....and yet being able to select these kits has a huge impact on the player's enjoyment of his/her character.

That said, I can understand why adding subraces/new races is unlikely. With so much work yet to do on the patch, and with BG2:EE coming out, there is unlikely to be a lot of time for it.
  • MonoCanallaMonoCanalla Member Posts: 291
    Disappointing. Subraces is the possibility that excited me most about enhancing this game, a wish that I had since 1998. And I play in Ipad and I have Mac, so no modding for me.
    RAM021
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    Even if it takes a while longer I would love to see sub-races at some point if possible.
    RAM021
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    Damn, i was hoping we would at least see aasimars and tieflings.
    RAM021