Skip to content

New Media for Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition

2»

Comments

• RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    I agree it is more consistent with BG1, but personally I preferred the BG2 model. To me it was more impressive and imposing. Makes him stand out more imo.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Huh, they really did manage to get the game to look better. Creds to whoever made those filters or whatever-they-was, that's a great job.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Sick screenshots and music samples, I can't wait for the release!

I too prefer Tazok's original BG2 look. I don't think it was inconsistent with the BG1 look, either. I always figured with the resources at Firkraag's fingertips, his master has made him bigger and more badass.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    His placement in Firkraag's dungeon is random enough, also altering his appearance to something else even further makes it stand out as something misplaced. Changing it to the original looks good to me (especially since he's the only one with that model in BG2, iirc)
  • srvksrvk Member Posts: 65
    I prefer the old BG2 model, NPCs are supposed to change armor too and that model looks more imposing. Which makes me wonder what happened to Sarevok's armor and helmet? It would be nice if he could acquire them in TOB even if that meant that he could only use his sword due to animation restrictions
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    I like what I see and hear.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I can see an improvement since promoting BG:EE, Overhaul. And as result, I was pleasantly surprised at this news. Generally, I like what I saw and heard there.

Some specifics I am concerned about:
    - Tazok. I think he should have his BG2 model, since giving him plain half-ogre animation takes away from his characterization. For me, he seems to be less recognizeable of a character.
    - Second. That one strange area (screen32.jpg). Strange colours, mushrooms, some strange graphical effects + wild surge... I feel high watching this. I know this is probably intentional, though.

Overall, I am pleased.

"Excellent!"
    - Charles Montgomery Burns/Lee Chaolan
  • EkitalEkital Member Posts: 19
    The areas look so sharp and amazing right now.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    cool

I like the new area art and the new music is really good

is the text box always translucent or will we be able to make it opaque I'm not fond of reading on translucent panels like that

I must say im looking forward to getting my hands on this now
  • MoonsongMoonsong Member Posts: 36
    I am hoping the text box can be made opaque as well. Everything does look very sharp and crisp though.
  • DoveberryDoveberry Member Posts: 24
    edited October 2013
    I am loving the clear text box. I think it looks gorgeous, and it clearly allows for better oversight. I don't see any downside, personally.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited October 2013
    @Doveberry

it can be uncomfortable to read if it was just an aesthetic choice it would be fine. but in a game with so much text I don't want to be reading in such a situation I don't think its to much to ask for an option to have a black background to the box.
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    mch202 said:

The mushrooms map looks totally psychedelic... I think @OneAngryMushroom will enjoy this map!

Wow. That brings me back to my days as the colony guard. Man, we used to get messed up on the weekends.

• MoonsongMoonsong Member Posts: 36
    I'm the same way. It is very hard for me to read text in that kind of translucent text box.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    if this half/transparent text box (that i really like aesthetic-wise) becomes an issue i would be grateful if transparency becomes one of the options in graphic options screen.

on the other note i think it bears considering making all the changes in UI optional, since the graphic options screen has enough space as it is, and we are really talking a lot about preferences here.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Heh, I didn't recognise him the first time I played BG II. The new old model might help people like me. :P
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Itomon said:

Giving Tazok (and other NPCs) portraits would be very nice, as well as helping with recognization issues :D

If you have NearInfinity (and maybe 'Keeper, unsure), you can mod portraits in for any NPC. I usually give them to Sarevok, Tamoko, Angelo and a few other major villains in BG1.
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    @Eudaemonium Are there any official or suggested portraits for Tamoko, Angelo, Tazok and others? If not, how did you decide on the ones you use?

I think I might do the same.
    @Basillicum: I use the PaintBG portrait mod, so I tend to use the various non-NPC portraits done by the same artist (artastrophe.deviantart.com) to represent whichever characters I think they fit (because maintaining some kind of stylistic unity is important to me). But she has a very distinctive style that certainly isn't for everyone. A lot of the characters might end up looking too young or attractive for some.

My advice would just be to look in the various portrait/picture threads around the forum, or scour the internet, and then just crop and re-size them. You'll only really need the smallest size, since the only place you'll see the portraits is during dialogue.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    I wouldn't mind if they could commission official portraits for a handful of the more notable NPC's in Baldur's Gate like Sarevok and his henchmen or people like Drizzt etc.
  • ItomonItomon Member Posts: 187
    I'd like to know; giving non-joinable NPC portraits by default, it is off-contract for EE game? I love mods but maybe this featured dialogue portraits could be official.
    BG2 (SoA and ToB) gives portraits to the prominent villains as well as joinable NPCs. But that is about it.
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514

BG2 (SoA and ToB) gives portraits to the prominent villains as well as joinable NPCs. But that is about it.

On that note, is it possible to easily replace those official portraits of non-joinable NPCs, similarly like we can do with NPC ones, by dropping appropriately named pics on the 'override' folder? I never liked Bohdi's portrait, and actively disliked all the ones from ToB, and would like to be able to switch them for different ones without installing mods.

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I think what SHOULD have happened was that Tazok should have been given his BG2 sprite in BGEE, to differentiate him from the much weaker unnamed half-ogres. The bandits talk about him like he's the Slayer incarnate, and he certainly can take and dish out a beating if he tries to kill you at the bandit camp. He deserves a unique appearance.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Syntia13 said:

On that note, is it possible to easily replace those official portraits of non-joinable NPCs, similarly like we can do with NPC ones, by dropping appropriately named pics on the 'override' folder? I never liked Bohdi's portrait, and actively disliked all the ones from ToB, and would like to be able to switch them for different ones without installing mods.

Yes. Bodhi's picture is named NBODHIS.
  • KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    Good job, the new GUI is really better. Thereafter, is it possible to replace the "ugly blue" of BGEE by this GUI with a patch ?
  • PaulgPaulg Member Posts: 115
    hey thanks for the patch! noice.
This discussion has been closed.