Skip to content

Weapons for a Cavalier

2»

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Kneller said:

I actually went back to playing the GOG version via EasyTutu (EE was too buggy for me). As far as I know, most of what the EE devs did to this game was superficial (i.e. no engine changes). It could be they updated the text based on their interpretation but misunderstood the system.

Has anyone tested this? Are there screenshots to back it up? I can't imagine BIS would set up a system where an extra pip merely grants a nudge to speed factor.

The manual and in-game descriptions in BG1 and BG2 had a lot of problems. This was one of them (for BG2 obviously).

To give you some idea of how much from the old descriptions needed to be fixed to reflect what was actually happening check out this.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/6819/manual-discrepancies/p1

Your specific example isn't listed there because it was corrected before the BGEE manual came out, but suffice to say there were a lot of areas the old manuals/game descriptions got wrong.
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937

-carsomyr (2h-sword)
    -ravager (2h-halberd)
    -flail of ages (1h-flail)
    -celestial fury/hindo's doom (1h-katana)
    -the equalizer/blackrazor/answerer (1h-long sword) (switch to dragonslayer/daystar if necessary vs. enemy type)
    -crom faeyr (1h-hammer) (switch to runehammer if necessary vs. enemy type)
    -and assorted axes (too many, too equal)

these are your best weapons per weapon class. look up what each does and how your proficiencies will affect each and make your decision based on what you want your paladin being used for.

You also forgot spears. I haven't played BG2, but I'm going to assume that there aren't any good spears and that's why you left them out.
  • You also forgot spears. I haven't played BG2, but I'm going to assume that there aren't any good spears and that's why you left them out.

Impaler and the Spear of Withering in SoA have some impressive damage bonuses. Ixil's Spike can be good if you regularly debuff enemy saves so that the impaling effect can trigger (and all the parts are in Watcher's Keep). Still, they suffer from the general problems two-handed weapons have in that they aren't competitive with dual-wielding for damage and generally don't have good enough secondary abilities to make up for that lack.
  • XerxesVXerxesV Member Posts: 187
    It's not on topic, but the coolest thing for me to put on my cavalier was all the red dragon gear. The helm, shield, armor, sword, and rings of fire resistance. It's not very clever, and it doesn't maximize him strategically, but he looks so cool. I wish BG had more complete sets of equipment with bonuses.

That's why I can't play Warcraft or diablo. Id waste months tracking down random drops to complete obsolete sets of armor.

At least in BG it's all in One place.