Skip to content

Has anyone used Shadowkeeper to change the npcs into more suitable avatars?

Like i mentioned in the title, has anyone done this? I usaly try to make the characters as close to their portrait as possible, and for most part, it's quite simple, but then there are portraits like Kivan's & Safana's, Kivan wears a hood, so the most logical would be to change his avatar to the Elf Thief avatar. Safana don't wear a hood, and shows of quite a bit of skin, so the logical choice would be to give her the human female mage or Cleric avatar instead. Also one of my favorite features in BG2 was that they gave the Bards Cleric avatars instead of theif avatars, never made sense to me how colorful charismatic bards would dress up like thiefs? So that is also a change i try to do.

Does anyone have some examples of what they like to do.

Comments

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Whenever I dual-class Xzar to Cleric I always 'Keeper his avatar back to the Mage one (it gets set automatically to Cleric) (Seriously: Robe of Evil Archmagi, + Large Shield + Epic Helm + Warhammer is the boss of all avatars, IMO). Other than that I usually don't change the NPCs, but I will sometimes change Charname's to one I think is more suitable. I sometimes use the Monk avatar on a Kensai, for example, and if I have a Dual-Class Thief I will always use the Thief Avatar (female thief is my favourite basic avatar of all).
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Xzar back to mage is the first thing I do after dualing him, too. Sometimes Monty gets a hood. Shar-Teel either gets a new portrait or hair color, so the colors match.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160

Whenever I dual-class Xzar to Cleric I always 'Keeper his avatar back to the Mage one (it gets set automatically to Cleric) (Seriously: Robe of Evil Archmagi, + Large Shield + Epic Helm + Warhammer is the boss of all avatars, IMO). Other than that I usually don't change the NPCs, but I will sometimes change Charname's to one I think is more suitable. I sometimes use the Monk avatar on a Kensai, for example, and if I have a Dual-Class Thief I will always use the Thief Avatar (female thief is my favourite basic avatar of all).

Wait, does that happen for our pcs as well? If you have a fighter or mage and dual him to cleric, the avatar changes? I thought this didn't happen. o_O
    @Mornmagor: The avatar changes to whichever can use the higher level of armour. So Fighter>Whatever stays as a Fighter. Thief>Mage stays Thief. Etc. But Mage>Fighter/Cleric/Thief will change to the latter.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I usually do it with my character if they are a fighter/mage. I prefer them to look like a mage with a hood and cloak than a fighter.
    When I first played BG back in the 90s, I played half-elf Fighter/Mage. I was so disappointed when I finally got a sweet robe and equipped it and it subtly changed the colour of her tunic-dress. I don't think the 'Keeper programs even existed when I played it XD
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Where can one find an EE Keeper?
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    Jimstrom said:

Also one of my favorite features in BG2 was that they gave the Bards Cleric avatars instead of theif avatars

Wait, what?

edited October 2013

Where can one find an EE Keeper?

Are you finally going to convert to the cleric sprite, instead of the fail fighter one? :p
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    I wonder since Beamdog have set their own colours for joinable NPC's to match their portraits if they've considered changing their sprites to something that arguably matches them than their standard sprite? It could arguably make them look more unique much like their new BG:EE colour schemes.
  • XerxesVXerxesV Member Posts: 187
    I always liked creating a whole party of Sarevok and his gang (tamoko semaj tazok, etc), then changing the sprites to match them in-game. The problem is that the Sarevok sprite crashes the game if you do anything but swing a sword. Still looks cool though to see him in his rightful place as the final bhaalspawn!
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    I used to change Kivan's avatar to a thief. The hood just seemed to match his grumpy demeanour.
    Hm. Can't seem to change Black Pits saves. What do?
    edited October 2013

Mornmagor said:

Are you finally going to convert to the cleric sprite, instead of the fail fighter one? :p

Magga, please! Fighter sprite still wears plate mail the best. The human male cleric looks like he's wearing skinny jeans and brown sneakers. I'm no hipster adventurer, sir.

I am probably going to change Montaron to Thief sprite and maybe change my Fighter/Mage in Black Pits to a Cleric or Mage sprite.
    Hm... How dare you put doubts in me about how awesome the cleric sprite looks in plate!

Aaaaaah, back to the drawing board >_>

Anyway, i usually change my avatar to cleric if it's not already that one. It looks better imo.

P.S. The two sprites are almost the same :p

P.S. Shiny gold metal shoes for red dragon scale! Win.
    @Mornmagor
    The two sprites look completely different in plate. The Fighter is broader and more imposing.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    @Schneidend I haven't played Black Pits since release, but I think the files are in a different folder from the campaign saves. You may have to manually fiddle with them a bit to edit them, but I believe it's possible.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438

When I first played BG back in the 90s, I played half-elf Fighter/Mage. I was so disappointed when I finally got a sweet robe and equipped it and it subtly changed the colour of her tunic-dress. I don't think the 'Keeper programs even existed when I played it XD

Agreed...

I like to change multi-class Clerics and Druids into, well, the Cleric avatar! Otherwise, it depends on the concept. Don't hate mah vision. :<
    edited October 2013

@Mornmagor
    The two sprites look completely different in plate. The Fighter is broader and more imposing.

Meh, the fighter sprite has a lot of problems, the analogies are way off waist down. He is a bit broader though to the eye. In reality, he just has bigger shoulderpads and wider boots.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    i changed my fighter/thief charname into the thief sprite. that is the only thing i ever did. it matched his picture a lot better. now if only he had the cool mask like the portrait

i changed my fighter/thief charname into the thief sprite. that is the only thing i ever did. it matched his picture a lot better. now if only he had the cool mask like the portrait

Why don't you change the skin colour to be like the mask's, that way the model will look like it is wearing it? :)
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781

Why don't you change the skin colour to be like the mask's, that way the model will look like it is wearing it? :)
    not a bad idea :) it was awesome that i found the picture because my fighter/thief has a helmet and it accounted for that, but i never really thought of that for the model
    I just figured since basically the only part of the Thief's skin you actually see on their model is their face it might be worth a shot :)