Skip to content

IWD2 with BG2 rules and EE engine?

2»

Comments

• ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited October 2013
    I wouldn't want BG2 implementation anywhere near IWD1....it would be a net-downgrade in my opinion since it would add all the broken mechanics that shouldn't exist in BG in the first place, to IWD which is already working MUCH closer to the source mechanics.

BG can at least hide it's shallow Diablo-style gameplay behind it's pleathora of side quests and joinable NPCs...but IWD doesn't have any of that, so it's mechanical accuracy and MP friendliness is all it has.
  • astralliteastrallite Member Posts: 9
    Icewind Dale 2 with BG2 rules wouldn't be fluid at all. Unlike BG2, IWD is nothing more than a series of a battles. BG2 combat is just buffing for 10 minutes and fighting for 10 seconds, do you want to rinse and repeat that with 10 times the encounter density of BG2?
  • butsambutsam Member Posts: 46
    I'm one of those annoying "maybe" votes -- here's the deal with my vote:

* I really love how IWD2 (and 3rd edition D&D in general) have much more for a cleric to do, and have opportunity for classes other than the thief to be your trap/lock expert. I think spontaneous casting of healing spells make clerics infinitely more fun to play, and I wish there was at least one other class that could take the place of the thief for at least some of the time when you play through the game, for added variety.

* I really don't like how IWD2 (and 3rd edition D&D in general) does multiclassing. Classes should be a major decision, not something that can be changed frequently throughout the game at a whim.

So, if we keep spontaneous casting and make it so other classes can handle traps and locks (Monk? Bard? Perhaps others as well?), while making class choices more like 2nd edition rules, then I would be in D&D heaven.

Sam
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    hell yeah. funny seeing this thread, I just started my first ever IWD2 campaign last night.

some of the fights are hard so far.. enjoying the challenge.. maybe it's cause my guys are all rocking leather armor.

it seems to me like you don't use 3rd edition skills in IWD2 very much.. maybe I haven't got that far into it though.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    With the EE engine I think I would actually finish the game.
    alnair
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    They're there, but it's more nuanced, kind of Torment-like, where they slip them into conversions and if you don't have enough, they won't show up.

It's still very much a dungeon crawler at heart though.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072

hell yeah. funny seeing this thread, I just started my first ever IWD2 campaign last night.

some of the fights are hard so far.. enjoying the challenge.. maybe it's cause my guys are all rocking leather armor.

Just wait until you get to the Goblin Fortress.

Just... That fucking Goblin Fortress. I recently started a new ID2 game as well. I really hate that place.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

I wouldn't want BG2 implementation anywhere near IWD1....it would be a net-downgrade in my opinion since it would add all the broken mechanics that shouldn't exist in BG in the first place, to IWD which is already working MUCH closer to the source mechanics.

BG can at least hide it's shallow Diablo-style gameplay behind it's pleathora of side quests and joinable NPCs...but IWD doesn't have any of that, so it's mechanical accuracy and MP friendliness is all it has.

IWD had a lazy implementation of dual-wielding that only Rangers can use, and honestly after BG2's kits and adding half-orcs, sorcerers, and barbarians, I cannot even stand to play vanilla BG or IWD any more. An IWD:EE with BG2:EE ruleset and interface would really spice things up and improve it greatly.
    alnairelminster