Skip to content

Greetings! and also a question about multiclass HP

Hi! First time poster, long time reader. Been playing BG since it first was released and have also played most D&D computer games and my fair share of p&p!

I just need to get something clarified about how MC characters get HP on level up. is the correct formula for this (Hit die + con bonus)/2?

If thats the case a Half Orc fighter/cleric with 20 con would have a max HP, when hitting the level cap, of: (((10+5)x7)+((8+2)x7))/2 = 87.5

Is this correct? The reason that im asking is that my Half Orc F/C have had really bad luck with the dices and have only a whooping 58 HP at level 6/7 and im thinking of using shadowkeeper to tweak him a bit and i dont want to go outside the max HP as that would feel like cheating to much ;)

Usually i dont care about getting max HP but in this case i would like to give the old chap just a bit more as he at the moment only got 8 more HP than Imoen that have been realy lucky with the dices!

Greatfull for any feedback/input!

(English is my second language, so sorry for grammar abuse and spelling errors)

Comments

• ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited October 2013
    the formula for multiclass is actually fighter/2+cleric/2+ the con bonus. having a fighter in the multiclass allows con bonus over 2 like a fighter would. i don't remember cleric hit point progression so can't help with the math there
  • AssmonkeyAssmonkey Member Posts: 3
    Thanks!

So the con bonus is not divided by 2 on level up, you get the full, in this case, +5?

Clerics roll a D8 for HP btw
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    On level up, a multiclass character gets:

Hit points = (Hit die/# of classes) + (CON Bonus/# of classes)

The Constitution bonus for Fighter multiclasses includes bonus HP for 17+ Con. If the Con bonus can't be cleanly divided by the # of classes, then the remainder is added when the all classes have reached the level in question.

A half-orc F/C with 20 Con at 7/7 level would have a maximum of (10/2)*7 + (8/2)*7 + 5*7 = 98 HP.

Keep in mind that the Max HP number in Shadowkeeper/EEKeeper does not include Con bonus. It is only the base HP from hit dice. The game calculates and adds the Con bonus HP on the fly (since the number can vary easily by quaffing a potion). So, if your F/C had maximum hit points at level 6/7, the "Max HP" value in Shadowkeeper would be 58.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited October 2013
    Assmonkey said:

Thanks!

So the con bonus is not divided by 2 on level up, you get the full, in this case, +5?

Clerics roll a D8 for HP btw

The CON bonus is split between the classes, but once both classes are Nth level, you will have the full +5 bonus. So, a 6/7 level F/C would have 6 levels of full +5 bonus, but the 7th level will be partial until his/her fighter level is also 7th.
  • AssmonkeyAssmonkey Member Posts: 3
    Ok, so the 0,5 is carried over then..

Thanks for the answers, it was really clear!
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    so since cleric is d8 max potential for every level of fighter is 5+half of the con bonus and cleric is 4 +the other half of con. that adds up to for every level of both being 9 the 5 con=14 with your original formula assuming both as level 7 it would be 14x7=98