Skip to content

Trent confirms Linux version "still in the plan"

alnairalnair Member Posts: 561
I guess this might deserve (for Linux enthusiasts at least) more attention than if on the 25th page of another thread...

theguiltmachine BG:EE for Linux is still in the works. We don't have a ship timeline yet, but it is still in the plan.

— Trent Oster (@TrentOster) August 26, 2013
Post edited by alnair on
JuliusBorisovFredjoCrevsDaak

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Well, that's a major update to what has been known previously.

On the 29th of May Cerevant here said that a Linux version had not been announced and that Overhaul Games only had got the rights to produce a Linux version.

Now it seems ("is in the works") a Linux version is a matter of "When" and not "Whether".

Brilliant!
    alnair
  • ilovelinuxilovelinux Member Posts: 3
    +1 linux

reason: this game is not intensive and as such i want to be able to play it on my linux laptop on-the-go and not at home on my gaming desktop (or have to bother dual boot my laptop) ... and steam machines
    alnairDragonspear
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    Is the patch still in the plan?
  • alnairalnair Member Posts: 561
  • hummer010hummer010 Member Posts: 95
    While BG:EE works fine using wine, a native linux version would be most welcome.

I'll buy it again if it becomes available!
    Fredjoalnair
  • To all the Linux fans out there, speaking as someone who has been waiting for the Android version (which is apparently still down in that plan, somewhere), I wouldn't get too excited.
    Zarely
    @Shogun_Named_Marcus
    The Android version is in active development, while a Linux version is still just an idea (they have the rights to do one, but that's about it), so we're definitely not getting excited at all... although I'm pretty sure that, when the time comes, making it will be several orders of magnitude easier and faster than for the Android version.
    JuliusBorisovelminsterAristillius
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    Not to offend anyone, but why would you want a Linux version if it is easy to get it working on a Linux build already?
    What @Sho said. Also, ideological reasons :P
    CrevsDaak
    Ok cool, I tried out and am installing Ubuntu now and it seems promising :D
    alnair
    Also, the install client doesn't work in linux (or at least, I haven't managed to get it working). You still need to have a windows install somewhere to download the files and install them. Then you copy the files into linux and run it. Obviously, an official linux version shouldn't have this problem.
    alnairelminster
    I have come to the conclusion that Linux is vastly superior to Windows in most aspects. I hereby announce my support for a Linux version of BGee and I promise I will spend another 20 bucks on it :)
    elminsteralnairDrHappyAngryZarely
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    IkMarc said:

I have come to the conclusion that Linux is vastly superior to Windows in most aspects. I hereby announce my support for a Linux version of BGee and I promise I will spend another 20 bucks on it :)

Same here, I'd buy it again to support a Linux version.

Besides, I'm sure they'd get linked to on most of the major Linux sites if they did the port, and get a ton of free advertising. Hell, they'd probably get slashdotted ;)
    FinneousPJalnairZarely
  • FelspawnFelspawn Member Posts: 161
    glad to see a native version is in the works, having said that BG:EE is hands down the best behaved windows app i have seen in Linux. i've installed it on several linux devices, both laptop and desktop, on both Ubuntu and Mint and its works flawlessly every time. No need for PlayonLinux, no need for tweaking WINE. I wish all my games worked as well
    Felspawn said:

glad to see a native version is in the works, having said that BG:EE is hands down the best behaved windows app i have seen in Linux. i've installed it on several linux devices, both laptop and desktop, on both Ubuntu and Mint and its works flawlessly every time. No need for PlayonLinux, no need for tweaking WINE. I wish all my games worked as well

I agree to some extent. I've found that for it to work well in WINE you need mesa V9. If you're running a stable (and slowly updated) distro (say, Debian) you might not have mesa V9 yet. Ubuntu has had V9 since 12.10.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I will buy it again to get a native Linux version. I bought Torchlight three times:
    1.) the initial release straight from torchlight.
    2.) the steam release, because it was easier to use in WINE
    3.) the linux release via Humble

alnairGoddard
  • GoddardGoddard Member Posts: 134
    Still hoping for a native version myself. I want to play BG on anything! :D
    alnair
  • hectorgreyhectorgrey Member Posts: 1
    Waiting for a Linux release here too; while WINE makes running the Windows version tolerable, I'm not rich enough to buy multiple copies of the same game, and I'd rather reward a company for supporting my OS directly than just say to them, "It's OK; we'll all just use WINE."
    alnair
  • grandexaltedgrandexalted Member Posts: 1
    IkMarc said:

Not to offend anyone, but why would you want a Linux version if it is easy to get it working on a Linux build already?

The biggest reason for having a native Linux reason (at least for Steam users) is so you don't have to run two separate instances of Steam. I have to go through a big ordeal to create a separate PlayOnLinux bottle for each Steam on Wine game I make, tweak the crap out of the shortcut and then whenever I launch a game It has to log me out of whatever steam instance I have running and I have to log into the new instance. I've even gone so far as to add the wine version of the games as an "Add Non-Steam Game" instance so it looks like its part of my library but then it kicks me out of my Linux steam to launch my wine steam. Other issue would be that BGEE will sometimes freak out with Unity and either minimize itself or shrink itself to a tiny screen that I can't get out of without killing. I save very often playing the wine version because I've lost a lot of game progress when these sort of quirks happen. Its VERY annoying. I'd love to just see it in my Linux Steam, click the install button, watch it download and play the crap out of it without having to worry about it. I bought it strictly because I saw all the posts about it coming to Linux so I told myself I'd struggle through it for awhile while waiting but its now been a year of waiting. With how well it runs in Linux (minus issues with the Unity and kwin) I can't imagine their being much of a technical barrier to release. I heard they had issues with Licensing at one point but I saw a tweet about them securing the rights and it still being in the plan so I'm hopeful but starting to lose steam (no pun intended) I'd love to at the very least see a vague idea of when it might actually be released. Ugh.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Ya, I'm starting to get antsy too. BG2:EE is out, and still no word on either for Linux. I don't keep a dual boot on my laptop and would love to be able to play BG on it. I don't do the wine gaming myself anymore, far too much hassle. I went a year with only using it, and just got fed up with having to wait to play new games or when a game patch came out and wine no longer worked with the patched version.
  • BigPoppaBigPoppa Member Posts: 1
    Just adding my voice to those waiting for native Linux versions of BG1:EE & BG2:EE. I stopped WINE gaming over a year ago (including major MMOs) and haven't looked back. Although it's not DRM free, I'm a big user of Steam now that they have a Linux client and stock a large number of Linux games, some of them AAA titles (although a bit old by Windows standards).

Although I purchased the Windows version of BG1:EE when it first released, I haven't played/installed it since making my OS switch. I stand ready to re-purchase it as well as a new copy of BG2:EE when both receive native Linux clients.
    elminsteralnair
  • legionlegion Member Posts: 1
    Well I also adding my voice for native linux version. Hell, not only my voice. A lot of my friends (probably around 10) is using linux and everybody says It would be good to have native BG version or fallout 1/2 or Planescape torment. They gladly buy all humblebumble sales where linux games are involved or kickstarter. (Well we have steam, so distribution is not an issue, MacOS version probably runs on OpenGL, so render is more or less done, I kinda imagine it would only take 1-2 persons month work to make it work). Please, just make it happen :)
    alnair
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    This idea has not been abandoned but the work on the Linux version has been slowed down due to the 1.3 patch:

elminsterFlashburnCrevsDaakjackjack
    Wait and you shall receive!

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/35495/bg-ee-linux-now-in-beta-on-steam#latest

I congratulate everyone on nearly getting there: the players of course (finally the wait is nearing the end:) and the Devs (you have nearly done it, yay!)
    elminster