Skip to content

OMFG - Patch Wiped Out my Save Directory?? Careful Guys If You Use Hard Links

marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
I'm rather devastated that by installing the latest patch my save game directory is completely empty. That means that I've lost my game, and all the hours I put into it. This is distinctly not how Dee explained that this process would work when I asked him about going from the beta back to the full game.

Oh my word, so many hours lost. :(:(:(

Seriously guys, backup your save directory before installing this nuclear patch!!!

EDIT - It was determined that this occurred because I was using hard links to my save directory in order to use Shadowkeeper. Apparently the installer actually deletes the source directory rather than just the link to it.
Post edited by marceror on
ChildofBhaal599Illustair

Comments

• FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Yeah, I found that out the hard way too. Bah. Worth it though.
    [Deleted User]
  • I just ran into this as well; also lost my custom portraits and exported character files. Black Pits and Multiplayer are still there.
  • marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
    Nah, not worth it, and entirely unneeded. Had I known I could have **EASILY** made a backup of the directory and kept my save games in tact. The saves are compatible, and I was already running the beta, so for me, installing the patch didn't actually provide anything new from what I had this morning. :(

Beamdog, I implore, change the install to not overwrite the save game directory!! Surely this was an oversight on your part!
    ChildofBhaal599
  • HuntHunt Member Posts: 27
    Ugh, I hope it restores them after the download is complete. There was a warning, but I click the apply button before comprehending what it said.
    There will be no restore. Directory gets nuked.
    ChildofBhaal599
    For me, a husband, father of 3 young kids, with a very demanding job, this is nearly enough to drive me away from the game, at least until I can remuster the will to start over. My party had been carefully planned, and it was the exact party that I wanted to use. If I were to start over, I would do things 100% the same. So the idea of starting over feels supremely wasteful when my free time is already so limited.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    guess I will wait then. many insightfuls to you for helping prevent the save game apocalypse from hitting my machine :)
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Thanks for the heads up. I have a recent backup, but would have lost a lot of my recent play through.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Oh boy. Is anything else at risk? Override, portraits, characters?

S̨͡O ̶͘S̨͝͏C̡̧A̵͟R̡̧E̛͢͡D̸̶̨.̢
    Someone else claimed that their portaits were also wiped out, but mine were not. Not sure what else might have been destroyed.
  • Based on my experience, Override, portraits, and characters are all at risk. I expected Override from the beta updates, but not losing my portraits and saves.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    edited October 2013
    I lost my override folder (as it always says you will when installing a patch) but save games are intact. Thankfully I haven't patched craptop install yet so I could find my replacement portraits for the recruitable NPCs there. Mayhaps this has something to do with the beta? I was never able to play it due to various difficulties so none of my files were touched by it.

Weird though. I've never actually lost my override portraits before.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Backing up everything. :|
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    thespace said:

I'm downloading the patch right now. It looks like my save games are still in the directory. Should I copy it elsewhere before it's done downloading?

By the sound of things... yes.
    thespace said:

I'm downloading the patch right now. It looks like my save games are still in the directory. Should I copy it elsewhere before it's done downloading?

Yes, unless you enjoy the idea of possibly losing them!!
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    @marceror What OS are you running? The patch didn't touch my save games or my scripts folder. I am on win 7 x64
    I'm running Windows 8 64 bit.
  • @Cuv I encountered this problem running Win 7 Professional 64 bit.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    Okay, I know nothing about the possibles with win 8. @Dee ?
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    My save games and everything else is still completely intact after installing the patch.
    thespace said:

So, I just made a backup of the save and character folders. That all that's needed?

That and potentially the override directory, if you have one.

• KeryvianKeryvian Member Posts: 14
    I am also running on Win 7 Professional 64 bit. I did not lose any save games, but did lose my custom portraits. I don't know if it's related, but I had a link to the Document Portrait folder in my BGEE directory (a leftover from getting ShadowKeeper to work). I had deleted the link to my save folder.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Mine are fine as well. I am on a Mac running OSX Mountain Lion.
    [Deleted User]
  • AnaximanderAnaximander Member Posts: 191
    I backed up my mpsave and save and portrait folders whilst the patch progress bar was cresting 85% lol ... ok THANKS for making this thread!! :D
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    To anyone experiencing this issue:

Have you, at any point in the past, made a hard link to try to get the game to work with Shadowkeeper? What mods, specifically, have you installed?

To anyone who hasn't updated yet, I recommend backing up your saves and characters first, just in case.
  • qwert_44643qwert_44643 Member Posts: 311
    im on win 7 64 bit and my saves and overide was ok.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    If you had a link to the saved games for some Shadowkeeper hack, then yeah, you lose them.
    But normally the updater wouldn't delete files outside the install directory.

I think Shadowkeeper was updated already, so you don't need that link any more.