Skip to content

Custom/Alternate Portraits

When you select a custom portrait it says you can select an alternate portrait from a list displayed on the Gameplay screen. If no alternate portrait is selected, your primary will be used.

What I'm trying to do is use a different portrait for what would have been the medium and the small. Whole body for M, just face for S. I do not see anything to do with portraits on the Gameplay screen. Is there still a mechanism to do this?

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited November 2013
    The S from before is the one used on the gameplay screen (the "Alternate Portrait"). If you have a smaller version of the portrait, or if you have another portrait of the same dimensions, just select that for the alternate portrait and it will be displayed on the gameplay screen in the roster.

If you don't select an alternate portrait for the gameplay screen, it will always use the one from the Record screen, resized as appropriate.
  • HuntHunt Member Posts: 27
    I am so confused. By 'Gameplay' screen, I am guessing it is not referring to 'Options' -> 'Gameplay', but the actual screen with the map that you move your party around on with the mini-portraits of your party on the right.

If so, how do you select an alternate portrait? If you right-click your character, it goes to the 'Inventory' screen. If you left-click, it selects, or double left-click, it centers. I do not see a mechanism to select an alternate portrait.
  • HuntHunt Member Posts: 27
    I was putting the portraits in the Game Folder portraits directory instead of the documents portraits directory. This is why no other portraits were showing up. Funny that I did not put the original in that directory either, so I'm guessing some process copied it there.

Regardless, use the 'documents' directory structure, which is stated in the directions.

I did try to use a portrait that I had not re-sized and the game crashed, so not sure if that feature is working as designed.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Character Record (default is R) -> Customize -> Appearance -> Custom

Then pick a medium portrait on the left for your Character Record, and pick a small portrait on the right for the game's right-side UI.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    As noted in the description on the Custom Portraits screen, only images up to a resolution of 1024 (in either dimension) are supported. Anything larger will crash the game. Anything smaller than that will be resized as needed.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Does the auto-resizing work for NPC portraits as well?
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Shin said:

Does the auto-resizing work for NPC portraits as well?

No. I tried this out a few times in the beta, but overriding NPC portraits needs to be done with the appropriate sizes as before.