Skip to content

The developer should add a SAFEHOUSE/STRONGHOLD in BGEE through a DLC.

siriuslukesiriusluke Member Posts: 31
edited September 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Check out this thread to know more about the benefits of having a safehouse in the game:
http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/2646/upgradable-safehouse#latest
  1. The developer should add a safehouse in BGEE through a DLC.109 votes
    1. strongly agree
      29.36%
    2. agree
      28.44%
    3. neutral
      22.94%
    4. disagree
      11.01%
    5. strongly disagree
        8.26%
Post edited by siriusluke on

Comments

• PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    It would be nice if you have a place to store all your redundant equipment that you feel you need not part with immediately. Additionally, it would be great to have a place to finally use the skull-trap spell!
  • siriuslukesiriusluke Member Posts: 31
    Phyrax said:

Additionally, it would be great to have a place to finally use the skull-trap spell!

Yep, to keep the goblins out : )
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 279
    More quests, additional content. It can't hurt and will be a nice addition :)
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Hint Box: Did you know... that Skull Trap is actually better than Fireball because its damage isn't capped at the upper end and it doesn't do elemental damage (so that any enemy with elemental resistances profits from it as well)?
  • WolfheartWolfheart Member Posts: 170
    If they are gonna add a "safehouse" aka stronghold, it better be a great one, until I see its not a Horse armor I'm against it!
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    I want the whole of Candlekeep as my stronghold, slay all the inhabitant's I say.
  • KithrixxKithrixx Member Posts: 215
    Honestly, I don't want a safehouse unless it's a stronghold: Big, ostentatious, and with more functionality than a personal chest and a place to sleep. The reason that I enjoyed the Keep in BGII so much is because it contained side quests and was a potential source of revenue, in addition to other things. The other Strongholds were similar: while being a place to stash things and sleep safely in, they also mean that I get access to more game content, which (to me) makes them worth the trouble.

Otherwise? I'll just track down a Bag of Holding and sleep outside.
    Xzar said:

On other hand, you dont have fast travel in BG1, so its usefulness is rather questionable.

Thanks Xzar for reminding us this factor, it would be a real headache indeed if this problem is not properly addressed. If I remember correctly, we could actually fast travel in BG2, since BGEE uses BG2's engine, perhaps we could fast travel in BGEE after all. If BGEE turns out to have no such function, personally I wouldn't mind using some sort of teleporter stone only for returning to my safehouse. Really good points you have there.
  • SynergeticSynergetic Member Posts: 69
    Safe houses are for people that like to cower and hide, I on the other hand will slaughter the entire inn and rest for free.
    Kithrixx said:

Honestly, I don't want a safehouse unless it's a stronghold: Big, ostentatious, and with more functionality than a personal chest and a place to sleep. The reason that I enjoyed the Keep in BGII so much is because it contained side quests and was a potential source of revenue, in addition to other things.

Certainly, I'm sure most of us enjoyed our BG2 stronghold experiences. However, I don't think a magnificent stronghold would fit into the storyline of BG1. The protagonist in BG1 started his journey after a traumatic event, so most of the time he is still trying to find his way around. A low level adventurer doesn't really match with an epic stronghold don't you think.
  • KithrixxKithrixx Member Posts: 215

Certainly, I'm sure most of us enjoyed our BG2 stronghold experiences. However, I don't think a magnificent stronghold would fit into the storyline of BG1. The protagonist in BG1 started his journey after a traumatic event, so most of the time he is still trying to find his way around. A low level adventurer doesn't really match with an epic stronghold don't you think.

I wouldn't say magnificent. More like... a dilapidated castle, or maybe an old abandoned watch tower. Something that says "we just kind of started sleeping here because nobody was around and it was free".
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited August 2012
    I agree with the general notion of adding 'stronghold quests' a la BG2 although to a much less grand scale, if this is to be done, i.e. a quest earns you a safe house.

One way to do this is to make a variety of other rent/room-and-board options available from various NPCs. Such as the house in Beregost whose owner will let you stay there for free. Except in these cases the NPC may ask you for rent. Or perhaps upon completion of a quest that's already in the game, part of the NPC's reward is to allow you to board in their home.

That's the sort of thing that is moddable, btw. I kind of doubt we'll see it added as DLC. But a modder might take it up.
  • AmardarialAmardarial Member Posts: 270
    Durlaq's Tower seems a fine choice for stronghold upon clearing, as does the Gnoll Stronghold, and I'm sure a few others places, maybe taking over the Iron Throne headquarters once they abandon it?
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Amardarial The only problem I see with using the Gnoll Stronghold is those endlessly respawning gnolls. You'd have to do something definitive to make them stop respawning (other than rescuing/killing Dynaheir with either Minsc or Edwin in the party).
  • MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
    LadyRhian said:

@Amardarial The only problem I see with using the Gnoll Stronghold is those endlessly respawning gnolls. You'd have to do something definitive to make them stop respawning (other than rescuing/killing Dynaheir with either Minsc or Edwin in the party).

Lets add a gnoll warchief to kill, and his goon will leave the ruins if defeated :)
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Medillen Maybe a Gnoll Shaman. They already have a chieftain to kill. Maybe they run away when they lose their spiritual support as opposed to their leadership (I am sure Gnolls would love to step into a leadership role, but a Shaman would be much harder to replace).
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    I disagree largely because it doesn't fit the narrative. BG1 has (in theory) a specific throughline: you're chasing the various members of the Iron Throne all over the Sword Coast and taking them out one by one until you find Sarevok. BG2 gives you strongholds because, aside from the eventual journey to Spellhold, your operations are largely centered around Athkatla - it makes sense for you to "settle down" in the area while you're waiting for leads on Irenicus.
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 279

Hint Box: Did you know... that Skull Trap is actually better than Fireball because its damage isn't capped at the upper end and it doesn't do elemental damage (so that any enemy with elemental resistances profits from it as well)?

Nope, didn't know. Thanks for the tip! :D
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Strongly agree. Just as long as I can still access it even on Baldur's Gate 2. Though I don't think that's possible story-wise. I can vaguely recall the geological distance between BG1 and 2 but IIRC they're very far from each other; and it would be unwise to travel from here to there, you just can't afford to waste so much time with so much very serious stuff happening in BG-2.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    There's already a safe house in BG1 -- it's called the Friendly Arm Inn. :D

Seriously, there's a chest near the front door that you can stuff all your extra equipment into. Why do you need anything more?
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    It's a nice feature to have but I wouldn't pay a penny for it. Maybe I would buy it if it were part of a larger expansion though.
    edited September 2012
    @Brude What I meant by safehouse here is really some sort of strondhold with quests attached to it, not just a place to store stuffs. I avoid using the term 'stronghold' because it sounds way too epic for BGEE.
    Anyway, here's an old thread about safehouse/stronghold in the game:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/2646/upgradable-safehouse#latest
    Post edited by siriusluke on
  • StrikerTTDStrikerTTD Member Posts: 17
    I am in-between agreeing and being neutral on this. A safehouse would be a nice place to store things in the game, but I have played the Original game too much to have much need of the house now. Plus, it would be an awesome place to Decorate (Like in Oblivion), but would suck for Multiplayer, as a multi-world implementation of this would have to be added to help with Security.

I would like to see this added though, just for laughs. Perhaps an abandoned house in the forests near Candlekeep could be found? (A place often visited by the main character when they were young).
  • HertzHertz Member Posts: 109
    I could dispense with a stronghold if the game were better at three hings:

1. Container capacity
    2. Transferring documents into journal entries
    3. Recycling items for quests that are expired

A new player doesn't always know which things he needs, which quest-givers have vanished, which quest items cannot be redeemed, which documents are crucial. Gear, for the most part, is replaceable.