Skip to content

Map speed up?

BoinkerBoinker Member Posts: 8
One of the greatest problems with IE games is timeconsuming travels.
It might be a nice idea to add a script of following kind:
When no enemies are in sight and player is on map screen, characters move at twice/thrice the speed.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    This is why haste exists...
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited July 2013
    What's your rush? You can always speed up the frame rate of your game if you feel it's too slow.

Otherwise, the element of surprise would be non-existent if the game automatically sped up your party through every empty area. You'd know if there were enemies around if your party was suddenly walking at normal speeds.

It's been said many times over on this forum: BG was meant to be time-consuming.
    Post edited by Mortianna on
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Yar, sit back and enjoy the show.
  • RadwulfRadwulf Member Posts: 49
    I really think that this needs to be implemented. Time wasting from slowly strolling through large cleared areas is a major turn off, to the point I either play with teleport or not at all. The problem with this though is that it requires cheats, and that you miss out on certain scripted spawns such as the vampires in Athkatla in BG2.

What I have in mind is a super speed up button as in Xcom Apocalypse. You click where you want to go, such as the edge for map transition, and then click the speed up button. The picture then shifts into a transition screen and simulates walking to the destination instantaneously, before either shifting you to the destination, or pausing midway should the walking path be interrupted. Interruptions could include all normal pause events such as seeing a hostile, as well as activated script triggers, invading the fog of war and delays due to pathfinding issues. If it is interrupted it should tell you why in the dialogue box in case it isn't immediately obvious.

I think this should be a priority for an enhanced edition. The long periods of doing nothing but walking in empty areas are off-putting to both old and new players alike and this feature would help set EE apart. Furthermore Android and IOS versions would likely not support the teleport workaround, and so would never be considered in my case.