Skip to content

windows 8

2»

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I think windows 8 is mediocre, my sister got it on her laptop and she was raging hard on trying to make things work to the point where she was about to punch her laptop and destroy it because she was so frustrated, don't know how often that happened for windows 7, but I would think it would be a little less, but for me, I found out how to make a start button, so beyond that, I really have no grudge, all the new operating systems are no doubt going to be made in this fashion so I guess we all just have to bend on over and accept it as it is, but seriously, a default start button should really be implemented, but other than that, as I said mediocre, not knock your socks off amazing, but manageable
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    If you have a notebook or desktop, there's no use for Windows 8 apps. I pretty much just ignore them and stick to "normal" programs, which are now called "desktop apps".

Windows 8.1 brought back the Start button and also gives you the choice of going straight to the desktop upon login, so now may be a good time to give it a shot.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    I really don't get whole the 'app' hype...What about, y'know, functional and trustworthy software instead of such shallow gimmicks? Windows 8 is like that high school girl trying to be trendy, but not noticing how yellow, green and purple coloured clothes don't really fit together...
    Fredjo
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Didn't care too much about commenting here again, but something so stupid came up with Windows 8.1 that here I am...

They managed to break the mouse.

A piece of hardware that has been relevant for quite some time with Windows.

They locked the Polling Rate of the mouse, to around 125-200 Hz making mouses experience lag in movement.

HOW THE HECK DO YOU INTRODUCE LAG TO A MOUSE?!
    Mrpenfold666
  • SwordfishtromboneSwordfishtrombone Member Posts: 27
    ^ Good thing I haven't updated then. Is there anything in 8.1 worth getting it for, except the start button, which I already have through a third party application?
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    edited October 2013
    I think Windows 8 may be the best windows so far. It takes some mind shifts to get used to, but in many ways everything makes more sense in W8.

To respond to some criticisms in this thread:

The missing start button is a non-issue. Every keyboard already comes with a giant start button right next to the left control key, so why clutter the screen with one? Besides, Microsoft already caved in and added a start button in windows 8.1, which I have yet to find a use for.

The missing start menu isn't actually missing. They have simply merged the start menu INTO the desktop, which - if you think about it - is a far more elegant solution. Frankly, I didn't really use the start menu anyway. I spent most of my time either in an application or on my desktop (shortcuts). If you need to search something, you no longer need to click start and find the input box, but you can just enter your search terms. Need to switch between applications? Windows + tab.

Programs take up the full screen. Yeah, I don't see how people consider this a bad thing. Okay, so there may be an edge case where you want multiple apps on the same screen (which is still possible by the way), but I don't know anyone who doesn't play games full-screen, write documents full-screen or browse the internet full-screen. And yeah, I've just summed up 99% of what people do on a pc.

Windows 8 not designed for desktops? Nonsense. I've never understood why there had to be 2 operating systems in the first place, one for mobile and one for desktops? The difference between a touch screen and a mouse / touch pad is much smaller than people care to admit. If anything, Windows 8 proves that it can be done. And power users will love windows 8 too, if you look at the new keyboard shortcuts or the new computer management features.

No, you don't need a live account to use your computer. But it'll make your life a lot more comfortable if you do so. I find it funny how nobody complains about google or apple constantly nagging you to log in to an account.

Microsoft has simply removed all the clutter. The start button wasn't needed. Neither is the close or minimize button needed. If you want to minimize, just press the windows button to go back to the desktop. Closing apps? Most of the time you no longer need to do this because windows automatically manages resource consumption for you.

To add some advantages:
    Windows 8 starts up lightning-fast. Literally. I used to take a bathroom break when I start my pc, but now it's ready before I can leave the room. Yeah it's not ground-breaking but this is the type of stuff that sets windows 8 apart from other OS'es.

Being able to switch between the desktop and the last app you've opened by pressing the windows key on your keyboard is incredibly awesome.

It looks better. Not a big deal, I guess, but I love the modest elegance of straight corners and plain colors. The overflow of gradients & round corners on apple products just looks cheap. Google seems to agree, seeing how their products are moving towards more modest interfaces.

Live desktop updates (e.g. get notified of new emails). I don't find them particularly useful myself, but I can see how some people might like this. It's entirely optional, by the way.

Last but not least: Windows 8 manages to integrate native applications and web applications in a very elegant way. As far as windows is concerned, there's not a lot of difference between putting Gmail on your desktop or Outlook. With the ever increasing importance of both wep apps and native apps, this is the way forward.

Programs take up the full screen. Yeah, I don't see how people consider this a bad thing. Okay, so there may be an edge case where you want multiple apps on the same screen (which is still possible by the way), but I don't know anyone who doesn't play games full-screen, write documents full-screen or browse the internet full-screen. And yeah, I've just summed up 99% of what people do on a pc.

The only thing I do full screen is play (non-internet) games - whenever I am not playing games, I ALWAYS have at least two windows open. Currently, as I'm writing this, I'm watching an episode of Agathe Christie's Poirot on a window next to this one.

I'd say that about 80% of the time I use the computer, I have more than one window on. I NEVER browse the internet with my browser maximized.

And why would I EVER want a music file to play in a full screen app? Does ANYONE listen to music that way by choice?

I doubt that this sort of usage is that rare - as can be evidenced by the reception Windows 8 has gotten.
    Again, you're in the minority. Compare screen size with browser size.
    They're almost identical. Browser sizes are more blurry because only the viewport size is measured. That is, the GUI of the browser & the windows taskbar (start bar) aren't taken into account. This is further evidenced by the fact that the width is consistently about 20px smaller (scrollbar) and the height is between 80 and 200 px smaller, mostly depending on the size of the browser interface (which varies a lot, especially with toolbars). That said, they're still remarkably similar.

Regardless, you *still* don't need to worry because you can still browse the internet in windows 7 mode. Nothing is being "forced" on you.

And honestly, I spend about half a second in my media player before minimizing it and playing music in the background. You see, I listen to music, I don't "watch" it.
    Sooo... Being able to do two things at once makes you part of a minority?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I almost always have two windows side by side, for example openoffice and a source page in pdf or browser.
    Yeah, but the keyword here is side by side. You can still open 2 apps side by side, for example bing maps next to email, or two file explorers. Do movable windows really add anything here?

Besides, as far as I know open office doesn't have a metro app, so you'll be viewing OO next to your browser in the compatibility mode (win7 mode) anyway.
    Yes, I can now use windows 8 pretty much how I used winXP - after doing a lot of customization and disabling features.

The default win 8 was a real annoyance to me though.

What I thought I'd fixed, but apparently still haven't, is that Windows 8, at startup, occasionally switches keyboard layouts from the Finnish keyboard layout (which is the keyboard I actually have) to UK keyboard layout (which I DON'T have). I always find out when it's done this by writing the wrong password a couple of times (as my password has special characters that are located on different keys on the two keyboard layouts).

It seems to be a too difficult concept for Win8 that someone might want to use an English language system, with a non-English language keyboard.
    edited October 2013
    "Bing maps"... Who uses Bing anyways...

But that aside, I don't find it unusual for one to want to have something like a game, video or movie or whatever and having a web browser on at the same time... "having maps next to email" or "two file explorers"... Well, the first one if you need to look up a location for something maybe, but the 2nd one is usually rather meaningless, unless you have a folder you are too lazy to close and/or will need in the near future and want to keep it open and just open a new file explorer...

These cases you are pointing at are the minority, not watching something on another monitor while doing something else...

Edit: Since you seemed to be so impressed with 2 things being side by side... I just felt the need to do this
    Post edited by Kaltzor on

Yeah, but the keyword here is side by side. You can still open 2 apps side by side, for example bing maps next to email, or two file explorers. Do movable windows really add anything here?

Yes, absolutely they do!

I typically resize my open windows so I see the relevant bit - if I'm playing a video on a site, I resize the window to show the video screen, but not the adds and extra fluff around it, that I'm not interested in. Thus I have more space to work with. I absolutely want the freedom to move the windows where I want. (AND to move them to the top of the screen too, without automatically maximizing them.)
  • The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
    I would always upgrade hardware rather than software, and often just re-installing your OS gives you a speed boost anyway.

That said, get rid of Vista. Are you aware that a legal Vista license allows you to borrow someone's windows XP disks and run that instead? Or you could buy windows 8, try it, and if you don't like it, install windows 7 from someone else's disks under your windows 8 license.
    Yes, I can now use windows 8 pretty much how I used winXP - after doing a lot of customization and disabling features.
    What customizations and disabling features? If you do a fresh install of windows 8 with zero customizations, all you have to do is press a *single* button to go to the old desktop. ONE button. In windows 8.1 you have to change exactly ONE setting to boot straight to the traditional desktop, and you never have to see the new start screen ever again. I'm sorry, you're free to dislike windows 8 features, but don't you think you're exaggerating a little?
    "Bing maps"... Who uses Bing anyways...
    A lot of people, but that's totally besides the point. I just couldn't find a different screenshot of multiple apps and didn't bother uploading something. Judging from your post, you're totally and utterly missing my point, which wasn't about looking up something on a map, but was about showing you can STILL have 2 "windows" next to each other in windows 8. They're just not traditional windows but full-screen, split in half.
    Edit: Since you seemed to be so impressed with 2 things being side by side...
    Care to tell me where I said I was impressed? I'm not. I'm merely pointing out that the whole multi-window criticism is incorrect because windows 8, and I'll say this for the how-manyth-time, STILL allows multiple apps to display side by side.
    this
    You're not going to tell me with a straight face that people actually play patience, freecell, minesweeper and baldur's gate all at the same time.
    I typically resize my open windows so I see the relevant bit - if I'm playing a video on a site, I resize the window to show the video screen, but not the adds and extra fluff around it, that I'm not interested in. Thus I have more space to work with. I absolutely want the freedom to move the windows where I want. (AND to move them to the top of the screen too, without automatically maximizing them.)
    Actually, if you resize your open windows you still have to use the scrollbars to actually hide the irrelevant bits. So in that regard there's no difference with windows 8. Since you don't seem to believe me when I say you can still have multiple views in windows 8, I guess I'll have to upload a screenshot showing a video playing next to a browser.
    By the way, even though this screenshot splits it 50/50, you can drag the slider to resize it to a different ratio. You can also have 3 or 4 apps, but at this point I would like to point to Kaltzor's screenshot and say nobody can actually play 4 games at the same time. You only have 2 hands and one cursor.

I'm not asking you to like windows 8. I'm not a fanboy (well, Microsoft is always welcome to put me on their payroll, wink wink), but stop spreading fud.
    Kilivitz
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    @Alkalurops ive already discussed my dislike, i dont agree with any of your points as in my opinion i prefere a practical OS rather than an elegant one. but if you like it good for you, your using an operating system you enjoy, have fun!!

(im not trying to be sarcastic honest, if you like it. good! i just dont and no one is going to convince me. just do me a favor and dont end up a fanboy thinking everyone who doesnt like it is stupid :P)
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    I don't need 'elegant' operating systems. I need a practical operating system. And Windows 8 is that certainly NOT. Oh, so I'm supposed to use shortcuts now? What's wrong with a simple start button showing me a nice overview of the programs I have recently installed/used? A normal search bar? Hell, I can't even open up a simple .jpg file in Windows 8, because then it redirects me to a gallery which is almost impossible to get out of again. My right mouse button on my desktop doesn't work anymore, so I have great trouble creating a simple new map on my desktop. Result: my monitor is an utter mess of Word and Powerpoint files. The switching language on the keyboard also bothers me to no end. The different apps are nice and colourful, but certainly nothing more. All in all, worst OS I ever used. It makes even the simplest of applications terribly hard to use, which results in frustration. I'll just happily use Windows 7, thanks.