Skip to content

windows 8

SacklarSacklar Member Posts: 54
I am running vista right now and got a lil extra cash should i upgrad to windows 8?

Comments

• ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    I never got to look into it too much but anybody I talk to says they hate it and my short hands on as I tried to help my step brother with his laptop wasn't exactly great either. I just continue to use windows 7.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    edited October 2013
    In my opinion, if you can get Windows 7 I would recommend that over 8... Otherwise you might be better off continuing to use Vista.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    No
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    If your PC is working fine running Vista then definitely not.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    my laptop runs windows 8, its rubbish, i'd rather use win95 but yeah, use windows 7 as its one of the best operating systems ive ever used, its more efficient but less customizable than XP (XP in my opinion is the best and my personal favorate)
  • SacklarSacklar Member Posts: 54
    crap i needed an excuse to spend money for my gf .......... guess i may need a new keyboard mwhahah
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    Get Win7 and hope that Win9 will be better than Win8/8.1
  • SwordfishtromboneSwordfishtrombone Member Posts: 27
    I just recently replaced my whole system - my previous system was ancient, and had come to the end of the road whereas updates were concerned (It was an AMD system with a socket 939, which was one limitation, but the worse limitation was that it had only an AGP graphics card slot).

In the update, I got windows 8, which, after a lot of tweaking, I've managed to make into an.... ok system.

I got the missing "start" button back with a freeware program ("Classic Shell"), so now I've got an XP style start menu.

I've changed most of the "open with" program preferences to sensible programs from the inane default applications. I mean when would I EVER want to open a music file with program/application that takes up the full screen, and doesn't have any easily figure-outable way to minimize, or resize into a window?

I also disabled the SILLY and ANNOYING "feature" of maximizing any window I dragged to the top of the screen. If I drag a window to the top of the screen, it's because I want the window there, not because I want to maximize it!

These sorts of "helpful" features are a-plenty in windows 8, but if you kill, kill, kill them all with FIRE, you'll end up something quite decent.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    All they really need to do with Windows 9 is any possible performance upgrades of 8 with the GUI of 7...

But no, gotta make that Surface 2, the first one only failed miserably.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Vista sucks but if you're fine with it don't bother upgrading. Upgrade the hardware if you want more performance.
  • enneractenneract Member Posts: 187
    edited October 2013
    The naysayers about 8 mostly are just old people who can't stand the slightest change. 8 is 7 with a new start menu, and some reasonably significant 'under the hood' improvements.

I've yet to hear a single criticism of 8 beyond 'waaaaah, they took away the start menu I was used to!'; which is to say, I've yet to hear a single valid criticism.

That being said, there is very little point in moving from 7 to 8 unless it is free.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    enneract said:

The naysayers about 8 mostly are just old people who can't stand the slightest change. 8 is 7 with a new start menu, and some reasonably significant 'under the hood' improvements.

I've yet to hear a single criticism of 8 beyond 'waaaaah, they took away the start menu I was used to!'; which is to say, I've yet to hear a single valid criticism.

That being said, there is very little point in moving from 7 to 8 unless it is free.

I'm 18 and I complain about it. I certainly am not old and windows 8 certainly isn't an upgrade from 7, but rather makes you figure out everything again. 7 is just easier to use for most people and that is what we want, an easy to use OS.
    Windows 8 is very easy to use. There is no functional difference between the old start menu and the new start screen, except that it uses more screen area.

Stuff changes, get over it and move on.
    enneract said:

There is no functional difference between the old start menu and the new start screen, except that it uses more screen area.

Exactly. And that's what's wrong with it. That, and the fact that the stuff taking up all that screen space consists mostly of stuff I neither want nor need.

Programs that take up the whole screen, and provide no easy way to make them NOT do so, are just annoyances to me. And things like automatically maximizing a window that you bring to the top of the screen is just extremely unhelpful. There's no situation where I would want that, and plenty of situations when, as a result, I'd get windows maximized that I'm just trying to move out of the way of something.

Fortunately I was able to switch that functionality off, AND find a freeware app that brought back the start button for me.

There are a couple of positive features - like windows explorer being able to open up zipped files now, and once you kill all the unwanted fluff and "helpful" features, it's not a bad OS.

enneract said:

There is no functional difference between the old start menu and the new start screen, except that it uses more screen area.

Exactly. And that's what's wrong with it. That, and the fact that the stuff taking up all that screen space consists mostly of stuff I neither want nor need.

Programs that take up the whole screen, and provide no easy way to make them NOT do so, are just annoyances to me. And things like automatically maximizing a window that you bring to the top of the screen is just extremely unhelpful. There's no situation where I would want that, and plenty of situations when, as a result, I'd get windows maximized that I'm just trying to move out of the way of something.

Fortunately I was able to switch that functionality off, AND find a freeware app that brought back the start button for me.

There are a couple of positive features - like windows explorer being able to open up zipped files now, and once you kill all the unwanted fluff and "helpful" features, it's not a bad OS.
    You know you can remove stuff from the start screen, right? It is actually *more* customization than antiquated start menu. There is no reason to use any Metro-UI program that you don't want to, actually. Complaining about Metro programs ruining windows 8 is like complaining that justin bieber mp3's ruined your computer.

• CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Find Windows 7. Microsoft operating software seems to skip a version that is good in their Windows history.
    Windows 95 sucked
    Windows 98 was good
    Windows ME sucked
    Windows XP was great
    Windows Vista sucked
    Windows 7 is great
    Windows 8 sucks according to a lot of people. Never tried it myself.
    So that means Windows 9 should be great.
    enneract said:

You know you can remove stuff from the start screen, right? It is actually *more* customization than antiquated start menu. There is no reason to use any Metro-UI program that you don't want to, actually.

Better yet, the whole system can be ignored, by downloading a little app called "classic shell". No more having to use up the whole screen and blocking everything in sight when you just want to dig up something on the start menu.

I just finally managed to resolve another annoyance with Win8. I use Windows in English language, but with a Finnish keyboard. So, I have it set up with a Finnish keyboard. Only it randomly switched to UK keyboard every now and then, and usually in startup, so that (as my password contains special characters to be found under different keys on the Finnish and UK keyboards) I would every now and then end up writing the wrong password, before figuring out that it's switched keyboards again.

Now, digging deep into the settings, I THINK I found the culprit, and hope that I've killed yet another annoyance.
  • zerckanzerckan Member Posts: 178
    You'd better upgrade to w7 or w8 tbh.
    Try both before making decision.
    I'm using w8 but I liked w7 more.
    edited October 2013

Find Windows 7. Microsoft operating software seems to skip a version that is good in their Windows history.
    Windows 95 sucked
    Windows 98 was good
    Windows ME sucked
    Windows XP was great
    Windows Vista sucked
    Windows 7 is great
    Windows 8 sucks according to a lot of people. Never tried it myself.
    So that means Windows 9 should be great.

The thing that breaks that pattern though is Windows 2000 - I think Windows 2000 Professional was my favorite OS ever. It was released after Win98, almost at the same time as ME.

(My update history is win95 -> win98 ->Win2000 pro -> WinXP -> Win8)
    Post edited by Swordfishtrombone on
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    Removing the start menu from Windows 8 is the stupidest thing Microsoft has done in recent history IMO.
    ok people want a valid criticism of windows 8? it cant be used for family computer as it needs an email address to log on, and unless your comfortable giving your email password to people then your going to have to keep typing it in for people.

the attempts at streamlining the interface fails when you keep moving your desktop to the side frame because you want to move a window

the side menu gets in the way of closing down files or windows,

they replaced security essentials with defender without telling anybody, so i was looking for security essentials online for windows 8 not knowing i already had it in terms of defender.

windows defender wont switch on if your using ANY other kind of software, and even if you aren't, it doesn't protect your PC untill it decides to, in my experience usually an hour or two later.

the fact it starts on the start menu kind of annoys me, i always keep clicking my desktop for a reason....all the stuff i want is there (im currently learning how to make games)

the operating system wasnt designed for PCs it was originally designed for phones which is why everything is an ap (this is probably why it starts on the start menu but annoying none the less)

looking through your program files isnt as easy as older start menus there isnt an all programs app so if your looking for a file specifically its going to take alot longer as opposed to opening the all programs tab and scanning the list there for it (this is my biggest annoyance)

um.....thats about it...i -will- say this though, it appears windows 8 can handle some older games better, in windows 7 i had colour issues with starcraft and age of empires, they got fixed in windows 8 but windows 8 took away diablo 2 (one of my most favorite games EVER ) on the whole it does more things to annoy me than it does to try and fix things ive had no problems with, the lack of start button didnt mean anything to me as i got the hang of using the windows button to get the start menu up really quickly, but if you put your cursor where the start menu usually is you can access it from there.

valid enough for you? i even threw in a compliment (if you like it *shrug* someones bound too but i hope you can accept that what i have listed -are- indeed problems and reasons not to dislike it, i do see the appeal of modernizing windows now tablets and apps are all the rage now but windows 8 should have been used for phones and tablets ONLY and give PCs and laptops their own version....hell do an XP like Windows 8 home and windows 8 portable same core just different interfaces, that would be a good idea and not really lose any money)
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    I suggest you try it first, download a free copy from the internets and if you like buy it, if not, reinstall Vistas.

ok people want a valid criticism of windows 8? it cant be used for family computer as it needs an email address to log on, and unless your comfortable giving your email password to people then your going to have to keep typing it in for people.

A) No it does not. You *CAN* link to a Live account if you want to, but it is by no means required.
    B) If you are using it for a 'family computer', you should have a different user account for each person, individually, anyway.

the attempts at streamlining the interface fails when you keep moving your desktop to the side frame because you want to move a window

Learn2click?

What? This doesn't make any sense.

they replaced security essentials with defender without telling anybody, so i was looking for security essentials online for windows 8 not knowing i already had it in terms of defender.

windows defender wont switch on if your using ANY other kind of software, and even if you aren't, it doesn't protect your PC untill it decides to, in my experience usually an hour or two later.

"protection for your pc" is 'don't click on scam links or download random pirated software'. Windows Defender is MSSE baked into the OS, it has the same functionality. As for your argument that you can't use it in conjunction with another antivirus... using multiple antivirus as a matter of general practice is a bad idea.

the fact it starts on the start menu kind of annoys me, i always keep clicking my desktop for a reason....all the stuff i want is there (im currently learning how to make games)

Valid-ish. And also fixed by 8.1, because it is valid-ish.

the operating system wasnt designed for PCs it was originally designed for phones which is why everything is an ap (this is probably why it starts on the start menu but annoying none the less)

Er, you have no idea what you are talking about. The Metro UI is an attempt to provide a more unified interface experience between different platforms, but it certainly isn't 'designed for phones'. It is also completely optional, in regard to Metro apps.

looking through your program files isnt as easy as older start menus there isnt an all programs app so if your looking for a file specifically its going to take alot longer as opposed to opening the all programs tab and scanning the list there for it (this is my biggest annoyance)

Hit the window key, start typing. MUCH faster than navigating the start menu.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    My little brother has Win8 and I don't like it.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Windows 8 is the biggest monstrosity Microsoft has ever created. And nothing what our smug forummer @enneract says will ever convince me. :p
    enneract said:

A) No it does not. You *CAN* link to a Live account if you want to, but it is by no means required.
    B) If you are using it for a 'family computer', you should have a different user account for each person, individually, anyway.

i have not seen the option to turn off the log in, and if you need to use multiple accounts instead of....just having it laod up onto the desk top like *gasp* much better operating systems, then you have the option of adding logins. for example XP allowed you to have multiple log in's and each one had the OPTION to have a password so some would be protected some wouldnt....oh my, what a handy feature.

Learn2click?

its less clicking and more side start menu appears when you move anywhere near it so....learn to not be an annoying operating system?

What? This doesn't make any sense.

put your mouse to the top right corner, a side menu appears, and untill you get rid of it you cant close files or windows becuase said pointless side frame covers the X so...yes it does make sense

"protection for your pc" is 'don't click on scam links or download random pirated software'. Windows Defender is MSSE baked into the OS, it has the same functionality. As for your argument that you can't use it in conjunction with another antivirus... using multiple antivirus as a matter of general practice is a bad idea.

as i said, if your not using any software it still doesnt switch on, your defence is "dont do it" your not trying to defend the software your trying to defend, your just giving off a petty argument. so yeah...perhaps i shouldn't, but maybe i should have some software for incase something bad happens like *cough* some security? or is that too much for you?

Valid-ish. And also fixed by 8.1, because it is valid-ish.

Er, you have no idea what you are talking about. The Metro UI is an attempt to provide a more unified interface experience between different platforms, but it certainly isn't 'designed for phones'. It is also completely optional, in regard to Metro apps.

its been mentioned above a few times, this whole interface was for touch screens and yeah, what ive said isn't valid

Hit the window key, start typing. MUCH faster than navigating the start menu.

really? ive typed in file names (like college files, has a trouble finding games that ive made on game maker) so....yeah, it just refused to find them searching through all programs however works (as evidenced at college)
  • TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    I hate Windows 8. It's pretty obviously designed with tablets in mind but my laptop IS NOT A TABLET. I can see how some of the features would be pretty handy on a touchscreen, but they are at best irrelevant and at worst a complete nuisance for an ordinary mouse and keyboard user.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    I've used it for well over a year due to work; starting in the early days of the customer preview and eventually getting a complimentary copy due to work (honestly, if I didn't need to give my boss a review about it, I wouldn't even take it for free). I don't like it. Money is better spent elsewhere, in my opinion.

But what do I know? Apparently I'm old, I'm a naysayer, and I have no 'valid' complaints.

I deleted the rest of what I had written because it, likewise, isn't valid because of my age.

*Cue eye-roll.*
    Troodon80 said:

I deleted the rest of what I had written because it, likewise, isn't valid because of my age.
    *Cue eye-roll.*

You're only as old as the woman you feel!