Skip to content

Multi Class with kit: full walkthrough to see if it's op or not (my 2c)

B4nJ0B4nJ0 Member Posts: 93
edited September 2013 in Challenges and Playthroughs
Let me apologize since I'm italian and english is not my main language ;)

I'm in love with bg like a lot of you, but I never used bgEE for some reason (mainly mobbing iussues). This week I finally got here too -yeahh!- and I chosed to try something a bit different.

I played multiclass toons with kits. Why? Well, I read a LOT of hate when you go "against the rules" with your toons. Since I'm both a powerplayer and a rollplaying person I tryed to see if the "just NO" potential multiclass // kit comboes would be bad for the game. I like kits, they add background and give you different playstile.

Method: nothing too hard, just create a level 1 single class toon with a kit (almost only way to avoid kit lvl 1 abilities lose with eekeeper). Then add a class and check if anything is correct (standard problem at the 1st reroll are: hp, spells, thief abilities). Then you will have a "bugless" toon aside then thief lvl up points: it's still 25 even for a kit, use eekeeper to fix that while lvling up.

How I played the game:

- enemies dmg: 200%
- max hitpoints (change mode at lvl up)
- auto learn from scrolls (change mode for /learn 100%)
- auto pause ON
- max stat roll
- no mods (only EEkeeper to edit toons)

I usually try to avoid reload IF I can bring some "dead" member at the temple. I also AVOID fog of war abuse so No death cloud or stuff like that. I place just a couple of traps IF I see the enemy and they don't see me etc. Just a mix of powerplay playstyle w/out engine abuses of sort.

The party was:

Human Blackguard
Half ogre Figher //Assassin
Half elf Archer // Cleric (yeah, just with 2pips in flings)
Elf Bounty Hunter // Mage

Without going to deep in the run, this are my personal 2c:

Blackguard: By far the most OP toon of the group. 2* Mace/2* WarHammer/2* 2HF: over 43% of the kills. Blunt weapons are retarded and stupifier should NOT be there, plus this kit give you too much without any drawback. This class is horrible OP imo.

Fighter/Assassin: A nice RP toon. 2* Staff/1* WF/2* LongBow/ 1* 2Hsword. The 2nd killer with around 31% of the kills. I like to backstab but this combo is well balanced. You are multiclassing with ONLY 15skill point since you are an assassin. The stab bonuses will never been in bgEE1. -> worst then an actual kensai/thief

Archer/Cleric: Yeah even more abuse combo. 2* Stings/3* 2WF/1* whatever. 19% of the kills. I like how this combo actually "nerf" the full potential of a melee ranger/cleric and at the same time make you enjoy to play it ranged for one. This toon has a LOT of versatily and was my handy 2nd tank when I needed it. I feel it's more or less a standard multiclass melee cleric/ranger with a different playstyle, I would just say a little worst in bg1 overall.

Bounty Hunter/Mage: Another nice RP toon. 1* Crossbow/ 1* Shortbow/1*Whatever. 7% of the kill. The true support. Again you gain very little (bh traps) for a big give away (thief skills). It was also the main to not give away summon familiar :P

Slops

-Blunt are the most imbalanced thing in bgEE (no joke) and the new paladin kit is retarded.

Props

-I think that IF you multi with a brain some toons can look different and be even worst then original "legit" classes (Just avoid +dmg/thaco kits like kensai. I tried archer/cleric to see how would have worked out).

- Brainstorming how to use my low thief skillpoints was quite fun and I had some BIG fails while levelling up ^_^

Personally, I love to play something NOT legal like this toons then to use a level 13/something kensai. I dislike dualclass since I think its to powerfull if you are a good min/maxer. I dislike kits as well since they are a waste of exp in late bg2 (since I'm a min/maxer as well :V) BUT I think I found a decent equilibrium with this try.

I will try again this run with bgEE2 to see if HLA will make this cheated multiclasses too powerfull or not. As usuall in my opinion at least ;)
Pibaro

Comments

• ShrimpShrimp Member Posts: 142
    I once started a solo run with a half-orc kensai/assassin. And oh boy, was that overpowered. ...yeah, no surprise here.

I remember distributing my thief points was quite a headache, but other than that, and once a high enough level to have enough points to spare, everything seemed a walk in the park. A stealth, bloody walk in the park.
  • Cowled_wizardCowled_wizard Member Posts: 119
    Ive been doing a solo bg2 with fight/assasin. The only 15points per lvl means that your thief skills are quite bad. And it will take a while to get to x6 and x7 backstab. To make it more interesting (and balanced) im a hafling and mainhand MUST be shortsword (mask+4 or kunahar at the moment) and off hand must be a dagger (pixie prick right now)

I plan to do the drow quest and give the eggs to the demon, he will in return give me the +4 dagger SOULTAKER. (15% lvl drain.)

I think using multi characters with kits makes the game more interesting, and you can avoid cheese by nerfing yourself in some other way. The x7 backstab if you are using a shortsword isnt nowhere as good as it could be.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Shrimp said:

I once started a solo run with a half-orc kensai/assassin. And oh boy, was that overpowered. ...yeah, no surprise here.

I remember distributing my thief points was quite a headache, but other than that, and once a high enough level to have enough points to spare, everything seemed a walk in the park. A stealth, bloody walk in the park.

How did you get that to work??
    Tome
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    I too would be interested in knowing how you got two kits working. Anyway, the most overpowered kit multi I've found is the Fighter/Wild Mage. Being a Wild Mage, there's a bit of luck involved, but NRD means that by the end of the game you have a level 22 fighter who can cast more level 9 spells than anyone else in the game.