Skip to content

Playing this game again has made me reread Legend of Drizzt books.

13»

Comments

• wariisopwariisop Member Posts: 163
    Avoid Elminister, his books are terrible. I was very disappointed with his Origin story book, man only 1/3 of that book gave anything back to D&D story.
  • wariisopwariisop Member Posts: 163
    Chippy said:

In defense of Drizzt it's like he's lived a fantasy life within a fantasy world - I don't think a person can measure tragedy, but it seems that R.A. Salvatore is almost writing him as a sheltered hero with his childish inspirations still intact... he never went through what Artemis Entreri or Athrogate did. But that's Drizzt's charm for me - like BG1, it didn't have that dark, graphic novel type atmosphere of constant oppressive tragedy seen in recent media like certain Red Weddings, and zombies chasing pregnant women.

Drizzt novels were just light reading - there's just too much apocolypse stuff in the air recently - Bg1's atmosphere was just as light, and I've yet to play an RPG that has nailed it as well.

^I have to disagree, he went through the same things or even worse than Artemis and especially Athrogate who came from a great Dwarven society. Drizzt's personality is very introspective though, and many heroes are only introspective in tragedy or significant changes in the world. However, Drizzt is introspective all the time, and to many people in the world that just seems like a waste of energy. It takes a ridiculous amount of patience and a rare personality to constantly question while still moving. I feel Drizzt has mastered this.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    At one time I used to be a Drizzt fan but over time I started to dislike him. He became more like a super hero type of character who was all powerful and could do no wrong. I prefer realistic hero characters not godlike. The last time I read a Drizzt story was the Hunter's Blades Trilogy books.
  • JonelethIrenicusJonelethIrenicus Member Posts: 157
    wariisop said:

Avoid Elminister, his books are terrible. I was very disappointed with his Origin story book, man only 1/3 of that book gave anything back to D&D story.

Thank you for the warning! What would you recommend me?
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    I'm on the 10th Drizzt book, I've absolutely loved them up to this point.