Skip to content

New BG player wanting some advice

2»

Comments

• zerckanzerckan Member Posts: 178
    edited November 2013
    LadyRhian said:

@Drekko If you thinkl only having a single spell at first level is hardcore, never play original Basic D&D. Clerics got *no* spells at first level, there were no spells for mages to protect themselves with, and a mage was essentially a glass cannon. And there were no Bracers of ACx or Bracers of Armor, either. in first edition AD&D, you were also limited as to what spells you could learn by intelligence. Only a 17 INT? Forget about 9th level spells! The minimum to become a mage was a 9 INT, and if you had the minimum, you could only learn up to 4th level spells. Yeah, it sucked. Essentially, halve your INT to see what level of spells you could cast. Oh yeah, and there was another spell that every mage needed "Read Magic", to even understand a spell!

Clerics had the "survival"-type spells. Create Food and Water, Purify Food and Drink. They also had spells like Bless, that buffed, and Healing Spells. In fact, a lot of 1e Clerics were fighting heal-bots- they fought and they healed, and only in extreme situations did they use or need the other types of spells. I can recall one published module- A4, Aerie of the Slave Lords, where the characters have been captured, imprisoned and tortured by the Titular Slave Lords, where it is mentioned that the Slave Lords have been depriving everyone of food, water and sleep, making it impossible to rest and pray for spells- but some slip-ups have allowed your Clerics to pray for food and water, thus enabling you to live.

Well the point is when you play PnP, you have lots of things to do other than casting spells or fighting at all. Survival, diplomacy, traveling, communicating have their great parts to play.
    But when you play a pc game (BG:EE here) you end up either fighting (Casting combat spells here) or clicking dialog lines.
    Because of this appyling same strict rules of PnP to a Pc game makes some elements feel limited (if not hardcore).
    A mage with only 1 spell per day in a pc game is annoying for me but i'd enjoy a cleric without a spell in a PnP game.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited November 2013
    Drekko said:

With rings and necklaces that have no stats at all, should I just sell or keep for later ?

Btw im amazed how nice and helpful the Baldurs Gate community are. Must be because the game is old, and we have older mature people in here :)

Yes... There is pretty much no reason to keep purely decorative jewellery, unless it is clearly a unique named item that belongs to somebody and/or may be related to a quest. The only generic item (that I am aware of) that has a minor quest purpose is
    Angel Skin Ring
    . But it is possible for you to carry one with you for the entire game and not find out what they are for (Trust me, it's very minor).

Actually I am 25, I like to think I am still young :P

But seriously, I am being helpful because back when I was a total beginner and kinda overwhelmed, people here were extremely helpful when I asked a stream of noobie questions. Actually, I am still asking questions cos this game is HUGE, and I am still in my first run of BG 2.

One tip though... if you ask questions under the "Help for New Players (NO SPOILERS!)" section of the forum, you will likely get even more and faster responses. I think this section is primarily for people to come and say hello :)

• DrekkoDrekko Member Posts: 16
    Hey guys im back to ask another question, im about 12 hours in, I just completed the mines quest, I have a few cool characters and I wanted to have these guys;

Imoeon
    Khalid
    Xan
    Neera
    Branwan

I wanted to keep Khalid for at least 2 melee's i the party ( im a melee fighter)

But stupid Jaheria will not leave without Khalid,

is there anyway I can make Khalid stay ?
  • KougaKouga Member Posts: 83
    edited November 2013
    @Drekko In a month or so, everything is much easier and will make perfect sense.

For a party get one or two melee frontliners, a thief to take care of traps and open locks, a cleric to heal and buff and a mage to cast some magic and identify your loot. That leaves you with one to two open spots for whatever you'd like to add. That's the most important basics I assume.

Now get out there and find them for yourself, hehe :b

As for jewelry without stats, sell it to add to your eventual mountain of money.
  • KerthalKerthal Member Posts: 68
    edited November 2013
    Drekko said:

is there anyway I can make Khalid stay ?

You take the 2 of them (Jaheira and Khalid) in your party. Go to an area where there're monsters about. Remove every equipment from Jaheira and let her wander... alone. Wait until she encounters enemies and that they kill her.
    After that you should be able to remove her from your party without Khalid leaving :)

• Time4TiddyTime4Tiddy Member Posts: 262
    If you want a less bloody solution that doesn't kill Jaheira forever, you can send Jaheira into a house or upstairs in a multi-floor building, so that she is on a separate screen from the rest of the party. Then go back to your main party and reform the party and remove her. If she can't come to you to talk to you, she won't take Khalid with her.
    Kerthal
  • KerthalKerthal Member Posts: 68

If you want a less bloody solution that doesn't kill Jaheira forever, you can send Jaheira into a house or upstairs in a multi-floor building, so that she is on a separate screen from the rest of the party. Then go back to your main party and reform the party and remove her. If she can't come to you to talk to you, she won't take Khalid with her.

I completely forgot that possibility ^^
  • DrekkoDrekko Member Posts: 16
    Great thanks ill give that a shot