Skip to content

DON'T try to heat an egg in the microwave..

mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
At least not without covering it!

Do you know of those situations that you are SURE that something bad is gonna happen and you are just waiting for it to happen and doing nothing to prevent it??

Well, I put an egg in the microwave for 30 seconds.

After 10 seconds I hear *crack*, I look at the microwave..

Another 5 second pass, another *crack* , I say to myself that the egg is gonna explode.

4 seconds pass, another *crack*, Now I'm positive that is going to end badly... I wait.

Another 5 seconds pass - *BOOM* - No more egg...

-1 hour of my life to clean up the microwave..

/Sigh

Comments

• lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    Tried it with my dog ... :( poor Nimrod
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    See, that's why I don't have a microwave in my home: too much cleaning to do afterwards. :P
    Best way to boil eggs is still via the good ol' electric kettle.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited November 2013
    @Kamigoroshi
    Electric Kettle?! OMG that's genius! Does it actually work? Can you do it in one boil? What's the technique??!

I like my boiled eggs, but I am too lazy to cook most of the time and I don't like standing next to a stove for 10mins
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Eggs? Aren't those fried with bacon?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    @Heindrich1988 Yes, it indeed works. This 'technique' is simplicity itself and you can read about it here or at various other places within the internet: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-hard-boil-an-egg-using-an-electric-kettle/
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    @Kamigoroshi

Oh thanks! That's a really handy guide. Only problem is... my kettle has no visible heating elements... which means it is either hidden beneath the base plate, which is simply a heat conductor, or the base plate itself is the heating element... hmmm I guess I can experiment. lol
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    If you don't put a cover on your spaghetti and meat sauce it'll look like a carrion crawler exploded in your microwave O.o

As for eggs, I like them over easy. With bacon or links. Nom nom

Breakfast obviously has the best food.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Mmmmm....poached eggs.
  • ZarakinthishZarakinthish Member Posts: 214
    At least you didn't put an ostrich egg in the microwave. You'd be replacing your microwave instead of cleaning it.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Wait....

You didn't even crack the shell before nuking it? What did you think the shell was going to do, hold in the flavour?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    deltago said:

Wait....

You didn't even crack the shell before nuking it? What did you think the shell was going to do, hold in the flavour?

Yea that was the first thing that came to my mind too.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I've cooked thousands of eggs in the microwave, but the only time I didn't took out the shell, it was starting to crack, and I took it out (and it was hot, and I left it fall only to have to clean the floor :P ) from the microwave. AND, it is better to fry it with the bacon, maybe not so healthy, but still better though.
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    mch202 said:

At least not without covering it!

Do you know of those situations that you are SURE that something bad is gonna happen and you are just waiting for it to happen and doing nothing to prevent it??

Well, I put an egg in the microwave for 30 seconds.

After 10 seconds I hear *crack*, I look at the microwave..

Another 5 second pass, another *crack* , I say to myself that the egg is gonna explode.

4 seconds pass, another *crack*, Now I'm positive that is going to end badly... I wait.

Another 5 seconds pass - *BOOM* - No more egg...

-1 hour of my life to clean up the microwave..

/Sigh

Oops, did it stink of sulphur? I remember my dad once forgetting about eggs he'd put on to hard boil, they eventually exploded and stunk the whole house out.

Next time I'd suggest sticking to cooking scrambled eggs in the microwave. Just remember to do them in 30 second bursts and stir them. I always used to stand over the stove slow scrambling eggs but the microwave method is a revelation.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    Tell me about it @mch202

I once had a boiled egg explode when I bit it after heating it in the microwave. I call the dish exploding spinage soup. Haven't had it since though.