Skip to content

Game crashing on rest.

So the new patch has been working great right up until I enter Baldur's Gate. It started with me entering an inn to get some rest and then the game crashed. I reloaded multiple times and even tried different inns but the same thing happened, so I thought maybe it wouldn't be a total deal breaker if I could rest outside the city walls, but the same thing happens. EVERYWHERE. It occurs right after the rest animation. The game is essentially unplayable now that I can't rest, what am I supposed to do? Take on Sarevok with a bunch of uber fatigued zombies? Help.

Comments

• SedSed Member Posts: 790
    Have you tried re-installing?
    IllGigante
  • IllGiganteIllGigante Member Posts: 13
    No, that's a very good idea. Will do later, must go find beer.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Good detective work! Though it is still puzzling why a plain simple chainmail in a bag would crash the game. Maybe, I would understand if it was a charged item, though.
    IllGigantejackjack
    This chain mail will play nice with the bag of holding (make sure you clone the correct bag of holding), those with nonexisting items will crash.
    IllGiganteCrevsDaakAramil89jackjack
  • yourrobotmasteryourrobotmaster Member Posts: 2
    I just had this same issue. I figured it was some error with a dream sequence. I would never have figured this out. Thanks!
  • KilmantorKilmantor Member Posts: 34
    I had the same problem and the problem were non-existing items in my bag of holding as well.This thread gave me the clue, thanks! Strange that this is triggering errors while resting.
  • RazaDelromRazaDelrom Member Posts: 149
    edited November 2013
    Please try to verify if it's really the bag, or maybe the dream sequence. In my case the crash with error likes to drop the game when I switch from BG to black pits (crash while video starts), and the dream sequence. The Elfen Mail is in my inventory, the bag (what bag?) is not.

Launching the black pit directly doesn't crash the game, only if I return from a played BG game to the black pits.
    It's definitely the Elven Chain mail in my game. If I put it in the bag of holding (I used EEKeeper to get it) the game will crash upon rest.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Which bag were you using? bag19? bag24? bag31?
    The blue one. Just kidding. That I definitely couldn't tell you.

Please try to verify if it's really the bag, or maybe the dream sequence. In my case the crash with error likes to drop the game when I switch from BG to black pits (crash while video starts), and the dream sequence. The Elfen Mail is in my inventory, the bag (what bag?) is not.

Launching the black pit directly doesn't crash the game, only if I return from a played BG game to the black pits.

It was definitely the chain mail, i've already tracked down the bug and gave him a fixed chain mail.
    The code fix will also be in the next patch as the fix was already approved for BGIIEE.
    Your problem is an entirely different one.
  • jeremy1015jeremy1015 Member Posts: 4
    I just had the same problem. Pretty sure I used bag31; it was one of the empty ones.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Just had this issue as well, that particular chain mail has an erroneous effect on it that you need to remove. I assume it wasn't patched yet?
  • MonkeetroopMonkeetroop Member Posts: 2
    Thanks a lot OP for figuring this out! I had this happen to me a couple of times and couldn't figure it out.
  • DalrykDalryk Member Posts: 35
    Just chiming in to say I had the same problem. And taking the chainmail out of the bag fixed it.
    Anyone still having this bug, just use my attachment above to fix the problem.
  • LoreLore Member Posts: 114
    i just had the same issue. no way in he.. would i have figured out that the elven chain was the issue :D thanks for the help
  • MartimusMartimus Member Posts: 6

Anyone still having this bug, just use my attachment above to fix the problem.

I now crash whenever I rest as well. Although this happens in BG2EE, not the original. Ever since I was warned not to use magic by the cowled wizards, when I rest my game completely hangs up.
    @Martimus that could be something else as well. Like a mod. Upload your game in a new bugreport.
  • MuppetLoversMuppetLovers Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2014
    Hello! I just wanted to confirm to you that I ran into this issue this morning, & I am using BAG31. Thank you so much guys for the help!!! @IllGigante for running down the issue, & @Avenger_teambg for the fix!!!

[I'm speaking of the original bug from the OP, of course! Thanks! ]

Post edited by MuppetLovers on
  • halobobhalobob Member Posts: 5
    @Avenger_teambg I also encountered same freeze problem on rest with CMPOT02.itm "Potion of Acid Burst" from Dark Horizons mod, I believe.

Game freezes at end of rest if CMPOT02 is in a potion bag or in a bag of holding. I don't think it matters, but I also installed unlimited storage (from BG2 Tweaks I think).

I found a relevant ref regarding missing resources at: http://www.baldursgatemods.com/forums/index.php?topic=7210.0, which may help ID other culprits. And I'll somehow manage without Acid Burst (DH is a superb mod, though with plenty of cheese ;-)

Thanks much; never would have found this on my own.
  • powurzpowurz Member Posts: 28
    I just want to thank you, @Avenger_teambg. I am finally playing through BG:EE with a committed character and was like "oh sh-" after encountering the bug. Thanks for saving my night of gaming and my files!
    jackjack
  • Fallen_BaronFallen_Baron Member Posts: 4

Okay! So I fixed it! First of all I can't figure out how to uninstall the game, maybe I'm just dumb but I can't for the life of me figure it out. However, in my desperation I thought hard about what had changed since getting to Baldur's Gate. While completing Dorn's quest and killing Simmeon, I received the Elven Chain Mail, which as it turns out, doesn't play nice with my Shadow Keepered Bag Of Holding. Once in the bag it crashes the game when I sleep, once out I'm dandy. Alduin doesn't have that effect, just the chain mail. Go figure. Now I feel smart, hooray!

@IllGigante Just wanted to throw a thank you your way, as you saved me countless bottles of wine (in frustration!) and hours of working out who/what was causing the bug! Kudos to you, and I nominate you to receive your very own Ice Weasel, courtesy of Minsc!
  • dam23dam23 Member Posts: 30
    Oh god I can't believe I spent over 4 hours narrowing down this bug, comparing savegames before/after crash, editing the dump file for clues, removing party characters and global vars little by little, then nailing it and preparing a bug report just to find out it's already known.

Teaches me not to look for existing reports preemptively.

@Avenger_teambg I confirm your CHAN12 fixes the problem and that is the one and only file in my override folder (no mods, clean install, fresh new game with a bundled character).

Any idea why the unpatched item causes a crash ?

I'm attaching my savegame + dump , in case it helps track down other items that might be similarly affected.

@illgigante looks like you beat me to this one, 'grats and nice work ;)
    @dam23 yes, the unpatched item has an empty ability header. Such headers could/should be deleted.
    jackjack
  • Xandria68Xandria68 Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2014
    The tip about taking certain armors out of the bag of holding worked for me, even though I did not have the Elven Chain. I believe that other items may be causing this too. I removed all armors from the bag (I cloned bag 31) and the game still crashed upon resting.

I have found a quick, easy solution to this without having to empty the contents of the bag into your inventory. Before resting, drop the bag on the ground. I tried this and my game did not crash even though the bag had the exact same contents as it did when I rested with the bag in my inventory. Just do not forget to pick it back up when you are done. :-)

I hope this helps my fellow gamers.

*****Correction***** DO NOT try my former tip listed above. When I attempted to drop the bag and rest again, the bag was missing after my character "awoke." I checked the ground under all of my party...completely missing. Granted, this is great if you are feeling like roleplaying & got "robbed" in the night. However, it kind of stinks that all your hard earned loot is gone. Perhaps a better tip for myself would be to quit being a virtual horder. :-)
    Post edited by Xandria68 on
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Xandria68 said:

*****Correction***** DO NOT try my former tip listed above. When I attempted to drop the bag and rest again, the bag was missing after my character "awoke." I checked the ground under all of my party...completely missing. Granted, this is great if you are feeling like roleplaying & got "robbed" in the night. However, it kind of stinks that all your hard earned loot is gone. Perhaps a better tip for myself would be to quit being a virtual horder. :-)

You could leave it in a Container and then it won't disappear.
    Xandria68jackjack
  • Xandria68Xandria68 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks, I'll give that a try.