Skip to content

Jace Hall and Felicia Day - What's the deal?

BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
edited November 2013 in Off-Topic
Hi, because of links that some people have been posting here in off-topic, I got really into Felicia Day and "The Guild". Then, somebody posted a couple of Jace Hall links, and I've started watching some of *his* stuff.

I've noticed he has a running schtick where he "hates" Felicia Day for some reason. He has a couple of lines in his WoW video where he disses her and her work, and he has a running gag in his "Jace Hall Show" that he is anti-Felicia.

I thought maybe somebody here in this forum would know and could explain to me, what exactly is going on here? Why doesn't Jace like Felicia? Or is it that he really *does* like her, and that the friction between them is part of the act?
Post edited by BelgarathMTH on

Comments

• SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    I don't know about Jace Hall, but I do know that there are some people that don't consider Felicia a geek, nerd, or whatever vernacular that we call ourselves.
  • Magnus_GrelichMagnus_Grelich Member Posts: 361
    edited November 2013
    I think she's a fraud, myself.
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    I love Felicia Day, and anyone who makes nerdy internet videos seems pretty clearly to be a nerd (I will say that Big Bang Theory irritates me however). So sorry if she isn't hardcore enough for some folks. It's actually one of my biggest pet peeves with nerd/geek/whatever culture, that we seem to be so elitist about it. C'mon now, we're the ones who got slighted by the cliques, let's be the better people and not judge who wants to join ours.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

I think she's a fraud, myself.

A fraud that plays video games, tabletop games, and Magic: The Gathering. What a phony!

I love Felicia Day, and anyone who makes nerdy internet videos seems pretty clearly to be a nerd (I will say that Big Bang Theory irritates me however). So sorry if she isn't hardcore enough for some folks. It's actually one of my biggest pet peeves with nerd/geek/whatever culture, that we seem to be so elitist about it. C'mon now, we're the ones who got slighted by the cliques, let's be the better people and not judge who wants to join ours.

Ye gods, I could not agree more. Exclusionary attitudes are what keep "geek" hobbies on the fringe. That, and some of the more ridiculous and creepy fans.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited November 2013
    I love Felicia Day, too. Which is why I'm so curious what beef Jace Hall has with her.

As far as her authenticity, I've read that she was addicted to WoW in real life, and even went into counseling for it, which is what inspired the beginning of her web series, The Guild.

Jace doesn't call her a phony, to my knowledge - I think I caught a hint in one of his IGN episodes that he thinks she stole some ideas from him, or something like that, but, I was hoping somebody around here might know the whole story. I guess not.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Whenever there's a lady who expresses an intrest in geeky things, there's always some elitist ass who will immediately claim she's just doing it for the attention and that she's a complete fake. It's one of the most gorram stupid and annoying things on the internet.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    I kinda liked Felicia in "The Guild" and even more in the "Doctor Horrible's Sing-along Blog" (even though in the latter, her performance was completely overshadowed by her 2 male protagonists)
    If you haven't seen the Dr Horrible's... watch it. It's only about 40 minutes long and I find it hilarious.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Oh Felicia, such a hot little redhead.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Drugar said:

Whenever there's a lady who expresses an intrest in geeky things, there's always some elitist ass who will immediately claim she's just doing it for the attention and that she's a complete fake. It's one of the most gorram stupid and annoying things on the internet.

Indeed. Since when did Geekdome become a Boy's-Only club? I thought it was supposed to be an "Anyone who loves geeky things is more than welcome to join!" -club.

Jokes aside, I'm very a rather fortunate lady to be surrounded by friends and good people who identify themselves as "geeks," and don't have a care in the world that I'm a girl. But I've heard plenty of horror stories, and I hope this Jace-Hall-beef-with-Felicia-Day-thing really is just an act. It sounds like it could be; Stephen Colbert throws little kick-jokes at John Stewart all the time, and it's all in good fun. But then again, I haven't watched the episodes, so I can't say I know for sure.

All else fails, he's just giving her free publicity. If you haven't heard of Felicia Day before watching his episodes, well hey, you have now.
    A more important question, who is Jace Hall?

A more important question, who is Jace Hall?

Yeah, seriously. This ran through my mind when I read the OP.
    You don't like my opinion @Schneidend? Tough.
    I just love these butthurt fanboys/fangirls who get all nasty when somebody doesn't like Felicia Day. You can all stick your heads up your arses, frankly.

I just love these butthurt fanboys/fangirls who get all nasty when somebody doesn't like Felicia Day. You can all stick your heads up your arses, frankly.

By the power of Greyskull, I summon @Dee for flaming!
    :(
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

You don't like my opinion @Schneidend? Tough.

It's not so much that I dislike it as I found it to be a baseless accusation. I'm not even that big a fan of Felicia Day. The worship of her can sometimes get irritating, and she herself can sometimes get on my nerves. Same with Wil Wheaton; I watch videos of him playing games, but there are times when he is unbearably obnoxious.

I don't dismiss Felicia as a "fraud" just because she's pretty and has fans.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Magnus_Grelich Try to keep things civil here, okay? Insults and flaming are noted explicitly in the Site Rules; I suggest you re-read them.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    all I know about Felicia is she voice acted Veronica in Fallout New Vegas, and she did a good job there. don't even know who this Jace Hall guy is.

@Magnus_Grelich could we even get a basis for that opinion? you think she is a fraud but why is she a fraud to you then? i do not know her well enough to even base myself as a fan or not but as far as I can tell this hate just seems false.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I don't like her.
    It's stupid to judge people as being "not geeky enough" or some other garbage however.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I'm the only real nerd.

...It's pretty lonely on the nerdthrone.
    edited November 2013
    A couple of posters said they don't know who Jace Hall is. He's this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltM5jHIJFw4

He has a long-running web series where he interviews game designers and reviews games. Warning: he uses *very* strong language and blue humor. Here's an episode that has Stan Lee in it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3ubPcnJ-dU

(EDIT: I had posted a link to his "You Got Pwned" video in this space, but I watched it again, and it has so much mature language in it, I'm afraid it violates BG:EE site rules, so I'm removing the link.)

If you peruse the IGN show, he gets lots of famous people on it - Stan Lee is just one example, and there's one with Jamie Lee Curtis I just saw. He also apparently is a popular guest at gaming conventions. And again, he's got this running joke in all his work where he makes digs at Felicia Day. He also makes a lot of digs against gamers who play the "cute", non-violent kinds of video games.

And I'm still trying to figure out what I think about him. He can be hilarious, and sometimes I find myself laughing despite myself. But a lot of his humor can be taken as mean-spirited. Is he just kidding and laughing with us, or is he being genuinely mean and laughing *at* us? His "Pwned" song specifically says "I'm making fun of you." Opinions?

Post edited by BelgarathMTH on
    edited November 2013
    Okay, I just tried to see if Google could shed some light on this issue, and I found this video. Apparently Felicia Day has appeared on his show several times. The whole "feud" between them has got to be an act.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2010/02/05/jace-hall-show-felicia-day-light-saber-fight
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Well, I know neither of these people. I can only say that I dislike girls who think them being geeky makes them 'special', and same for guys. Especially when both show arrogance too. Not saying this is the case for either Felicia or Jace, as I said, I don't know them. I just dislike people with this air of them being a gamer and thus somehow 'superior' or 'special' to others. I'm also a female gamer, but I don't think it as anything special. I don't brag about it either. It's just something I like doing in my free time.
  • EdgeStryfeEdgeStryfe Member Posts: 3
    Though not much of a fan of either of them, I've watched some content from both. This whole Jace Hall v. Felicia Day thing is all just them screwing around, if you watch enough of his videos, it's all just a joke, no reason to get upset about it. They are both in on it, if you don't believe me, watch some of his show from the start of it all, it's quite obvious if you just view the content instead of responding to what people say.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Reading about geek elitism and flaming intolerance makes me yearn for the innocence of my0 childhood. I remember my final years in primary school (I think that's elementary school in the US, u know, when u are 5-10 years old), I barely had a concept of cliques or any other reason why people had to be different from each other, and divided as a result...

In fact I went to a Jewish school (in England), which was in the near an area with a lot of South Asians, (India+Pakistan), so the kids at the school were around 35% Jewish, 35% English, 20% Muslim and 10% Others (Black, Chinese etc)... and yet the boys in my year were primarily split along 'kids who ate lunch in school canteen and liked to play outdoors' and 'kids who brought packed lunches and played games that didn't involve running around the playground', and no other factors even entered our minds.

For most of my time at the school, I was a 'school-canteen' boy, and spent my free time playing tag and generally running around (amazing, given how much I am against unnecessary movement nowadays)... but in my final year, I got interested in Warhammer (tabletop game) because of an older boy next door, and suddenly found out the 'packed-lunch boys' already played Warhammer and similar games. Pretty soon I persuaded most of the 'canteen boys' to pick up the hobby too and suddenly all the boys in my school year were united in what I'd later learn to be Geekdom. Probably the best year of my life thus far... lol

The only division in our school that could not be overcome, was not religious tension, racial intolerance, or even the bitter geeks vs jocks conflict... no... it was the GIRLS. No... they were an alien species to be ignored and avoided until... about 3 years later, when they suddenly became very interesting... But of course by then, sadly, that wasn't the only thing keeping kids divided in the 'playground'...
    Okay, it seems people don't like me for simply saying I don't like Felicia Day. I didn't attack anyone on here, either @Dee. I simply said I am not going to change my opinion because someone doesn't like what I said. It was neither overly aggressive or hateful, so do not tell me to re-read the site rules. I simply find her to be overrated and somewhat manufactured.
    But hey, what do I know? Okay, I apologise.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @Magnus_Grelich: Isn't she just popular because she's a so-called 'gamer girl'? I know lots of such examples. Girls who make (in my opinion horrible) Let's Play video's, but who still are popular just because of their gender and them having a pretty face and an adequate bust. And this is what feminism has been fighting for for 50 years... The only difference is that girls consciously sexualize and objectify themselves nowadays. *sigh*
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    Time was, the boys were a safe refuge for a geeky girl like me the cool girls just didn't get. How times change. :(
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447

If you don't think this is offensive or insulting, then you really do need to read the site rules.