Skip to content

Mass Effect Sequel

2»

Comments

• DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566

@Drugar @Varwulf
    I don't disagree so much as you guys are very much underestimating krogan, especially Wrex. For one thing, being a bruiser is pretty damn effective when you're damn near invincible and as strong and heavy as a grizzly. Also, they're not *just* brutes. They're brutes who have built their entire society, their technology, their tactics, on warfare for over 1000 years. Listen to Grunt talk about krogan tactics in ME2. They're brutal, and ruthless. In ship-to-ship combat they don't aim for your weapons or your engines first, they shoot your cargo bay to turn your own cargo into shrapnel that erupts inside the belly of your ship. Even if you win, your engineers are probably dead and your drive core is more than likely damaged, so you lose anyway.

Totally true, Krogan are beasts, probably more dangerous. But I always got the feeling like Krogan can be reasoned with. Offer them enough cash or punch them in the face enough and they'll back down (though not without signicant cost to oneself of course).
    Javik (and from what I gather, most protheans), however, will not accept bribes and will not be intimidated nor will they every back down once they've set their mind to something. To me, that's more intimidating than the brutal ferocity of the Krogan because at least those can be stopped (eventually).

Of course, it's all subject to opinion. Both are people I wouldn't want to get on the bad side of. I've more in common with a Salarian than anything else I think, and those don't take punches well.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

@Schneidend - that was in response to somebody else about races, not yours. Anyway, I agree that Origins-style is not doable because of the voices more than the shapes and animations (those already exist, right?). Unless you did the origin of players that show up as NPC's in the team or whatnot. Anyway, I'm not writing this off as easily as I am the upcoming DA sequel, which will need lots of good press and a drop in price to even be considered by me.

I meant that it would be difficult to line up the character models in scenes where they directly interact with races of varying sizes and shapes. Say you're punching Miss al'Jilani in the face. Krogan Protagonist and Turian Protagonist would need to be positioned differently for the punch to look like it landed, since either race has different arm angles and shoulder heights.
    @Varwulf
    I suppose that's fair. I did really like Javik, as well. The Collector just isn't as fun to play as in multiplayer as the Krogan classes, though. I also love my Proud Warrior Race Guys in any fiction. :P
    @Drugar
    Haha, true enough. I'm no krogan, either. I'd say I'm definitely turian, in mentality if not in martial skill. When I read the codexes about their society and government, I'm just like "Why can't I live there?!"
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I just love the ME races and the differences, although the Elcor are lame. I have so many wonderful memories of my ME experiences.
    The Elcor are awesome! They're the only race in the universe that never screws you over. In fact, they're probably the least selfish faction in the galaxy, and the game needed at least one.
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    @Schneidend
    I did never get to try multiplayer. If Krogans are more fun in multiplayer than Javik, I can certainly understand your position much easier :P
    Varwulf said:

@Schneidend
    I did never get to try multiplayer. If Krogans are more fun in multiplayer than Javik, I can certainly understand your position much easier :P

It's a really good time. If you're on PS3, send a friend request to DBAM and I'll play with ya. You can't play as a proper prothean, but there is an Awakened Collector class that has Javik's Dark Channel power.
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564

Varwulf said:

@Schneidend

It's a really good time. If you're on PS3, send a friend request to DBAM and I'll play with ya. You can't play as a proper prothean, but there is an Awakened Collector class that has Javik's Dark Channel power.
    Pretty sweet :) I happen to have 1 and 2 on the X360 (don't play it much anymore) and the rest on PC, sadly, but I do appreciate the offer :)
  • HenriusMcKnightHenriusMcKnight Member Posts: 6
    i think they could simply make a sequel gazillions years in the future, thus making any of the 3 endings irrelevant.

Or an even better idea, make a new sci-fi IP, ME has run its course this generation, why not make something new? people have to learn to let things go IMHO.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781

The Elcor are awesome! They're the only race in the universe that never screws you over. In fact, they're probably the least selfish faction in the galaxy, and the game needed at least one.

would have been amazing if they had the elcor in multiplayer with their back mounted cannons :O

i think they could simply make a sequel gazillions years in the future, thus making any of the 3 endings irrelevant.

Or an even better idea, make a new sci-fi IP, ME has run its course this generation, why not make something new? people have to learn to let things go IMHO.

Why abandon an IP that took years to establish? There's still much to explore, like a plot that isn't about Cthuloid battleship-gods causing galactic extinction. I'd like a more mundane campaign where my main antagonists are terrorists, Spectres, crime bosses, space pirates, AIs, and other such things.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Hmm, I don't know. Current gen Mass Effect has run its course, especially after the fluke that was Mass Effect 3. Still reminds me of those heated debates on the Bioware Social Network, usually between Biodrones and fans with legitimate criticisms on the game... Nice times. Personally I think Mass Effect is good as it is and doesn't need any prequel or sequel. Let it gather dust. But of course we're talking about EAware here, who will milk this cow until it dies from overproduction. So yeah, this franchise will likely go on for a while longer and end up like WoW, most likely.

Hmm, I don't know. Current gen Mass Effect has run its course, especially after the fluke that was Mass Effect 3. Still reminds me of those heated debates on the Bioware Social Network, usually between Biodrones and fans with legitimate criticisms on the game... Nice times. Personally I think Mass Effect is good as it is and doesn't need any prequel or sequel. Let it gather dust. But of course we're talking about EAware here, who will milk this cow until it dies from overproduction. So yeah, this franchise will likely go on for a while longer and end up like WoW, most likely.

As somebody who has loved the Warcraft franchise since Warcraft 2 was the new hotness and enjoyed WOW off and on for several years, I don't see the problem. Entertainment media is not the same arena as writing something like The Great Gatsby, making your point, and then turning the lights off for good. The Mass Effect world is richer than just the threat of ancient space overlords coming to kill us. There's still more to see. When you build a sandbox, you let kids play in it for a good, long time.

Also, you and I remember the vitriolic atmosphere of BSN very differently. Legitimate criticisms existed, but they were far and away being drowned out by venomous slander and insulting of Bioware staff, non-constructive criticism, and self-entitled demands to 'fix it.'