Skip to content

BG2EE bug? Jaheira fighter/druid + fighter/druid

Fina92Fina92 Member Posts: 284
Something seems off with Jaheria's classes in BG2EE. She now displays fighter/druid in both her top class and fighter/druid in her bottom class (instead of druid on the top and fighter in the bottom). I've only gotten as far as to Irenicus dungeon and did not notice it until she leveled up.

Bug?

Comments

• AkachiAkachi Member Posts: 38
    Yes, but both classes advance normally, so it's just the text.
  • Fina92Fina92 Member Posts: 284
    Yes, but still bothers me...
  • CptMaceCptMace Member Posts: 23
    "Advance normally... I wouldn't say that. Getting a level in the "first" Fighter/Druid made Jaheira get new divine spell slots... just as when she got a level in the "second" Fighter/Druid.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    she seems to work fine so i wouldn't bother with it, my rule on V1.00 of games is ignore anything that isn't a serious problem, serious problems get fixed first annoyances get fixed in patches :D that way everyone has a workable game and later everyone gets a perfect game
  • AkachiAkachi Member Posts: 38
    I know there are bugs hard to catch, but how was this overlooked? I mean you get your multiclassed party member at the start (if you're not multi yourself). And everyone has this problem.
  • mightyboognishmightyboognish Member Posts: 20
    It's not just Jaheira. Jan is doing the same thing.
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    My Fighter/Cleric has the same problem.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    The answer to the question of "how was this missed" is actually pretty easy:

There's A LOT of content to test. While Irenicus's dungeon was on the critical path testing and did get tested, keep in mind that testers aren't typically testing MECHANICS (i.e. leveling up mechanics), we're testing content. In many cases, testers are generally ignoring battles and leveling and the rest (where it's not critical to the game play) by consoling through most fights.

Again, too, most of the testing was likely done using the pre-generated characters...after all when you're testing content and not necessarily playing the game, does it really matter if you have a 17 or 18 strength? So there probably wasn't a lot of multi-classing going on in most tests. "But Jaheria is RIGHT THERE"...most playthoughs on content testing only take required characters and no more: It's a PITA to manage multiple party members.

If you're shaking your head at this methodology, let me ask you: take the situation where you want to test all of the class quests in chapter 2. That means every class quest has to be tested twice: once by playing the class the quest is for, once by playing the quest with an "off" class. There's something like 10 - 15 class quests in chapter to, meaning 20 - 30 different testing scenarios.

Each one of those class quests has an innumerable number of dialog options and most have multiple outcomes depending upon your choices...each of which must be tested as both the "on" class and an "off" class. Really thorough testing means you actually need to not just take 1 off class but EVERY off class to ensure that there's not an interaction problem that a mage has that a cleric doesn't have.

Then there's the the edge case testing: What happens if I steal the key from this guy instead of talking with him to get it like I'm supposed to? What happens if I kill him? Of course, to do the "steal" testing you've got to have a thief there don't you...that's another playthrough.

As I hope is becoming clearer, testing all of the cases of a SINGLE quest can be rather daunting, not to mention EVERY major quest in chapter 2, not to mention EVERY quest in all of the chapters...it's a huge amount of work.

Testers take shortcuts. More often than not these shortcuts don't produce issues...after all does it really matter how you got through Irenicus's dungeon when you go to save Mazzy's Sister? On the other hands, every so often the lack of thorough playthrough does expose issues...

This happens to be one of them.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Troodon80 fixed.
  • MicalabreMicalabre Member Posts: 9
    I still have this problem with every multiclass character. Is this marked "fixed" for an upcoming patch?
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    @Micalabre: The release note for v1.2.2030 mark this as fixed, and that patch was released on most platforms within a week or two of the original release. If you bought through the Mac App store, we are still waiting for the patch - otherwise I believe it is available on all other platforms and distribution channels, so be sure you have the current version. There are more serious issues fixed by that patch!
  • MicalabreMicalabre Member Posts: 9
    @GreenWarlock Thanks for the reply. I did use an App Store gift certificate, unfortunately. The money saved has not been worth waiting on their snail's pace progress. :/