Skip to content

Skip BG1:EE and just play BG2:EE? Please Help!

suddenly_humansuddenly_human Member Posts: 22
Skip BG1:EE? Opinions Please!

Folks I really need your help. A friend bought BG1:EE a few months ago in a Steam sale but hasn’t played it yet. Now that BG2:EE has been released he has been ‘advised’ by one of his friends not to bother with BG1 and just start straight into BG2 because it is ‘easier’ to learn for someone that hasn’t played that type of rpg. I’ve tried to tell him that this is not the case especially since both games now share the same variant of the engine and interface.

It’s my contention that it is much simpler to start with BG1 and start a character from level 1 where you can pick up the basics at a slower pace than starting at a much higher level with no knowledge of class, abilities or DnD rules.

My main argument however is that as an rpg by missing out on the first chapter of the saga you are spoiling the true beauty of the series – the engaging story. I was met with the retort that “I wouldn't question her rpg knowledge”

Can I please have some opinions on this? Am I right or am I wrong?
  1. Skip BG1:EE and just play BG2:EE? Please Help!129 votes
    1. Definitely not! Start with BG1 and follow the story through?
      84.50%
    2. Skip BG2 as it’s better and easier?
      15.50%

Comments

• ShadowTigerShadowTiger Member Posts: 60
    edited November 2013
    Start with BG1. It is really fun and offers a more open world exploration type of experience. You also can't appreciate how awesome you are in BG2 if you don't start at level 1.
    suddenly_humanStoneSwordsFredjo
  • StoneSwordsStoneSwords Member Posts: 180
    What's the point of going BG2 before BG1? It's a very story driven RPG. Definitly not playing it for the cutting edge graphics or anything. It's like reading the second half of a book before the first
    suddenly_humanJuliusBorisov
  • HandofTyrHandofTyr Member Posts: 106
    I kinda get what they're saying. Starting at high levels can be more confusing due to more abilities, but you're also somewhat less likely to get bushwhacked randomly wandering around in BG2 than BG1.

Still, if it's their first time with BG start at the start most definitely.
    suddenly_human
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    And honestly, I'd say BG1 is much easier to learn with. A lot of options (characters, powers, and story) get thrown at you early on in BG2 and it can be tricky to sort through them. BG1 is much more relaxed.

The only reason I'd recommend BG2 first is if the person in question can't stand the fragility of being low level, or if they get bored with the less extensive character interaction.
    suddenly_human
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Take into account that BG2:EE will probably get some bugfixes coming in the next few weeks, along with the "Ascension" mod (mandatory for ToB in my opinion) - more than enough time for a nice, brisk playthrough of BG:EE.
    suddenly_human
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    They use the same game engine, so learning is not easier. Why I say play BG1, though, is that the characters matter a lot more - both CHARNAME and the NPC's.
    suddenly_humanStoneSwordsJuliusBorisov
  • suddenly_humansuddenly_human Member Posts: 22
    edited November 2013
    The argument she is also making is that my friend “would probably rather play the all around better game” and if he ends up enjoying it he can go back and play the first and replay the second in depth. To me, as @StoneSwords pointed out, on your first playthrough it’s like reading a book in reverse. Not so much an issue on action orientated RPGs but on story driven games like BG the gaming experience just isn't going to be as immersive as it should be and therefore in my opinion less enjoyable.
    StoneSwords
  • RazaDelromRazaDelrom Member Posts: 149
    edited November 2013
    I think the learning curve on BG1 is still easier then jumping right into the frying pan of BG2. Sure, the story of BG2 might be a little easier to follow then BG1 simply because you start in a city (you can't possible ask a pebble in BG1 for directions), but if you are new to the classes starting at the beginning helps a lot.
    For example:
    In BG1 you can use normal weapons for quite a while, until you finally face enemys where you need more then just brute force. Here you can learn when to shield, when to crowd control and when to use what weaponry or in which sequence you can strip an enemy caster of it's defences.
    In BG2 a lot of quests will confront you with enemys where you need a special weapon or tactic to defeat it. And that's right after the Prologue. If you are not familiar with the animations which gives you a hint what to use, then you will most likely face death more then usual.
    suddenly_human
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    I think you should never play games out of order. If you try BG1 but hate it, you can skip to BG2 but if you play BG2 first, it's going to ruin BG1 for you. Everything is going to feel outdated and clunky going from a more modern game to an older game (even with the EE upgrades) and you won't be able to appreciate the game (and it is a good game). All you'll be able to think about is how much you miss all those spells and abilities you relied on in BG2, how crappy these BG1 weapons are, etc. Going from BG1 to BG2 is like "oh my god look at all these +3 weapons" but going from BG2 to BG1 is "are you freaking kidding me, my weapons can break?"
    suddenly_humanStoneSwordsmch202JuliusBorisov
  • AmardarialAmardarial Member Posts: 270
    Answer is simple, if you havent done BG1 do it 1st, if you have just play BG2
    suddenly_human
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Its doable, but not recommended. I played bg2 many years ago without ever playing the first. Now I have more appreciation of the arc.
    jackjacksuddenly_human
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I bought BG 2 before BG 1, and was totally confused at the beginning, like 'who are these people, and why do they think they know me? I've only just started this game!'...

I actually left Minsc behind because I thought he was a deranged idiot. Now, it'd be unthinkable to leave Minsc and Boo in such a place, now that I've gotten to know and love them and realise that Boo is no ordinary hamster!

ChildofBhaal599suddenly_human
  • JoeyJoey Member Posts: 201
    Well...Clearly I'm going to be unpopular here, but I'd say skip it.

I haven't played BG1 in its entirety but I got up to chapter...4, I think? Spent around 10 hours on it, and while it's a good enough game, there has been none of the storyline of BG2 in it whatsoever, and I can't see the storyline going anywhere near the whole Bhallspawn thing. I could be corrected, however.

I would say skip to BG2. You start off at level 7/8, where you won't get insta-killed by gibberlings, and the setting is a lot darker, richer and cooler. I assume most of the replies above were from people who played BG1 when they were younger...suffice that to say, I never did.
    edited November 2013
    insta-killed by gibberings vs. being killed by an Irom Golen in one of the first quests. Hm I wonder, which fight will be more educational?
    suddenly_human
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Whatever you do, don't skip BG2 ;)
    suddenly_humanJuliusBorisovlolien
  • JackWalrusJackWalrus Member Posts: 16
    I personally started with BGII when I was younger (I only played a bit of BGI before that) and I didn't see any problems in doing so. For me, BGII just felt more right. However, I would recommend that you at least have a minimum of knowledge concerning general mechanics of the game before attempting to do so.
  • suddenly_humansuddenly_human Member Posts: 22
    edited November 2013
    @Illydth Thank you for such a succinct reply - it makes my point much better than I could! Thanks to everyone for their feedback, I guess if he doesn't listen to reason and the views of experienced BGers then I'll stop banging my head repeatedly against a wall and give up.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Joey said:

I assume most of the replies above were from people who played BG1 when they were younger...suffice that to say, I never did.

No I started playing these games in June. You are missing out SO much by just jumping straight into BG 2. Like
    the death of Khalid and Dynaheir would mean nothing.
    suddenly_human
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    I ddnt complete BGEE, because I got bored.

Then again, I've already played through the entire game maybe 50 times before so now I just enjoy it as a sandbox with custom solo or party builds.
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    I'm bias because I played BGII for years before I ever found a copy of BG. I enjoy BGII a lot more because it seems to me to have better combat situations and a lot more interaction between characters. I'm trying to complete BG to import for the first time, but I find myself just trying to rush everything because im getting bored of it and just want to move on.
  • GKL206GKL206 Member Posts: 75
    Definitely play BG1 first. The only argument against is "who wants to be a weak character for ages?" Which to me is a big part of the fun. You start off wearing a dress and holding a stick and gradually develop your character into a superhero which builds a grater bond with your character than any other game I've played.
    And there are just far too many options for a beginner jumping straight into BG2. A character has all these abilities, how does a caster even decide which spells to memorise. let alone which to use for a particular encounter? If you start at the beginning you pick up abilities as you go and learn how and when to use them: this technique works against spellcasters, that one against brute strength enemies etc, and you can hone your skills against opposition that's not overwhelming. Sure, there are frustrations: being poisoned to death by hobgoblin archers and the like, but learning how to overcome them is a huge part of the fun.
    Starting with BG2 is like watching 'Breaking Bad' but missing out the first couple of seasons because "who's interested in a wimpy school-teacher?"
    Being weak is a big part of the journey.
    suddenly_humanDelvarian
  • AN_ALPACA_WADAFUKAN_ALPACA_WADAFUK Member Posts: 29
    Don't play BG1, it's boring and also bad.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Well, as far as the main story is concerned, the opening cutscene of BG2 does sum up the main plot points of BG1 explaining everything important that happens in the game... And I don't think any of the choices you make throughout the game on certain things get mentioned in BG2 ever...
    Except killing and looting Drizzt

However, there are some gameplay benefits to playing through BG1, such as starting BG2 at higher level and hidden in the game are books that increase your characters stats getting you a permanent +1 to all your stats except wisdom which'll you get 2 of...
    suddenly_human
    Kaltzor said:

Well, as far as the main story is concerned, the opening cutscene of BG2 does sum up the main plot points of BG1 explaining everything important that happens in the game... And I don't think any of the choices you make throughout the game on certain things get mentioned in BG2 ever...

Except killing and looting Drizzt

However, there are some gameplay benefits to playing through BG1, such as starting BG2 at higher level and hidden in the game are books that increase your characters stats getting you a permanent +1 to all your stats except wisdom which'll you get 2 of...
    Especially if you want to Dual Class in low levels to get some extra points in HP and weapons, there is no legal way to do so, if you skip. And you will only get the most HP at the first ten level, which means up to 80% of that choises are already done.

@Kaltzor, you missed a book.
    suddenly_human
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050

Kaltzor, you missed a book.

Well yes, there are 3 books for wisdom, but one is used for a quest, so you may choose to leave that one unused...
    RazaDelrom
  • KortokKortok Member Posts: 165
    You HAVE to play BG1 before BG2.
    mch202
  • RnRClownRnRClown Member Posts: 182
    The story and the characters are as relevant as the gameplay, in my opinion. To bypass or gloss over the beginnings of such a wonderful tale would be a travesty. It would be similar to forgoing The Fellowship of the Ring, and/or The Two Towers, to get straight to The Return of the King. So much would be lost!
    JuliusBorisov
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    Let's see, would you rather start at the beginning of the adventure, or pop into the middle of it with a random guy telling you your past?