Skip to content

Wizard Slayer Rebalancing for BG:EE and BGII:EE

AlexTAlexT Member Posts: 760
edited November 2013 in General Modding
Per popular demand, the Wizard Slayer Rebalancing mod is now fully compatible with BG:EE and BGII:EE. Enjoy! :)

Download location
Readme

Component 1: Wizard Slayer kit revision

WIZARD SLAYER: This warrior specializes in hunting down wielders of arcane magic. To that end, he conditions his body to resist magic and learns attack techniques that can disrupt arcane spellcasting. This rigorous training regimen requires the Wizard Slayer to forego the use of any magic items besides weapons, armor and healing potions. In addition, he must remain fully devoted to his cause and cannot pursue additional professions.

Advantages:
- Starts with 10% base magic resistance
- Gains an additional +2% bonus to magic resistance for every level of experience
- Gains the Disrupt Magic passive ability at first level
- Gains the Shatter Magic ability at first level and every 8 levels thereafter

Disadvantages:
- Cannot use any magic items except for weapons, armor and healing potions
- Cannot dual-class

Disrupt Magic:
Whenever a Wizard Slayer lands a successful hit on an arcane spellcaster the target is afflicted with a cumulative spell failure penalty. During the next 3 rounds, the victim has a 10% base chance to miscast any arcane spell plus 1% for every experience level the Wizard Slayer attains. This passive ability is always in effect.

Shatter Magic:
A Wizard Slayer can channel his innate magic resistance into his weapons in order to break through the magical defenses of arcane spellcasters. During the round when this ability is activated, each successful hit removes one combat and one specific protection from his target. However, this temporarily nullifies the Wizard Slayer's innate magic resistance making him vulnerable to magic during the next 2 rounds. Until his magic resistance recovers, the Wizard Slayer cannot use any special abilities that rely on it.

Component 2: Wizard Slayer High Level Ability revision

Reflect Magic (replaces Resist Magic)

An experienced Wizard Slayer eventually learns to channel his innate magic resistance in a manner which allows him to reflect magic back to its source. For 3 rounds after this ability is activated, all spells targeted directly against the Wizard Slayer are redirected back to the original caster. However, this temporarily nullifies the Wizard Slayer's innate magic resistance making him vulnerable to any spells that are not directly targeted at him. This vulnerability takes effect when the ability is activated and persists for 3 rounds after it expires. Until his magic resistance recovers, the Wizard Slayer cannot use any special abilities that rely on it.

Arcane Bane (replaces War Cry)

An experienced Wizard Slayer can apply a special technique to his attacks making them extremely effective against wielders of arcane magic. For 2 rounds after this ability is activated he gains a +5 bonus to damage against all arcane spellcasters. Furthermore, the Wizard Slayer's attacks become so forceful that his opponents must save vs. death with a -4 penalty or lose one of their memorized spells on each hit.

Component 3: Revised Wizard Slayer item restrictions

This component slightly loosens the item restrictions that are normaly imposed on the Wizard Slayer. It can be installed in two ways.

The "Minimal changes" option will allow the Wizard Slayer to use items which increase magic resistance, such as the Amulet of 5% Magic Resistance, Kaligun's Amulet of Magic Resistance, the Cloak of Balduran and the Potion of Magic Protection.

In addition to everything mentioned above, the "Moderate changes" option allows the Wizard Slayer to also use items which provide protection from magic in some form, such as the Cloak of Mirroring, Belt of Inertial Barrier, Amulet of Spell Warding, Ring of Spell Turning, Potion of Magic Shielding and Potion of Magic Blocking.

Disclaimer

Although I am a Beamdog/Overhaul developer this mod is completely unrelated to my work there. Please do not mistake this for an officially supported product. I have made this mod in my own free time and Beamdog/Overhaul does not support it.
Post edited by AlexT on
FredjoKamigoroshialannahsmithJamesEudaemoniumkamuizinbooinyoureyesCrevsDaakFlashburnWandering_MinstrelQuartzfrede957Erstarrung00zim00GrammarsaladNoobaccasemiticgoddessdunbarJumboWheat01SssiksseilorBorrroKskaietxaAaeightZaghoulPsicoVicCharlestonianTemplarAaemforeverSCARY_WIZARD

Comments

• FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    Thanks for the great mod! Does the Disrupt Magic ability works with ranged weapons now?
  • AlexTAlexT Member Posts: 760
    @Fredjo yes, Disrupt Magic works with ranged weapons as well.
    FredjobooinyoureyesCrevsDaakQuartz
  • DalrykDalryk Member Posts: 35
    Is there any way to get around the dual-class restriction or turn it off?
  • DarkersunDarkersun Member Posts: 398
    Great mod, will definatly try it with BG2:EE ;) makes the Wizard Slayer a nice kit.
    edited November 2013
    Dalryk said:

Yes. Open setup-wsr.tp2 in Notepad and locate this block:

COPY_EXISTING ~dualclas.2da~ ~override~ // dual-class list
    SET_2DA_ENTRY_LATER ~RR#WSDC~ 28 2 ~0~ // prevent Wizard Slayers from dual-classing into clerics
    SET_2DA_ENTRY_LATER ~RR#WSDC~ 28 3 ~0~ // prevent Wizard Slayers from dual-classing into mages
    SET_2DA_ENTRY_LATER ~RR#WSDC~ 28 4 ~0~ // prevent Wizard Slayers from dual-classing into thieves
    SET_2DA_ENTRY_LATER ~RR#WSDC~ 28 5 ~0~ // prevent Wizard Slayers from dual-classing into druids
    SET_2DA_ENTRIES_NOW ~RR#WSDC~ 3 // Actually make the changes
    BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES
    Deleting that block will remove the dual class restriction. You need to reinstall the mod after that though.

Note that the dual-class restriction was added by design, so removing it may affect the balance of the kit.
    Post edited by AlexT on
    CrevsDaak
  • DalrykDalryk Member Posts: 35
    aVENGER said:

You need to reinstall the mod after that though.

???

won't reinstalling the mod just reinsert the restriction? Apologies if that's a stupid question.

• FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    You will be editing a file that the installer reads information from. So if you don't reinstall your edited changes won't be applied to your game.
    CrevsDaak
  • ALiphALiph Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    Thx to your mod.

I have question about Shatter Magic.
    "Until his magic resistance recovers, the Wizard Slayer cannot use any special abilities that rely on it."

"cannot use any special abilities" means can't use Disrupt Magic passive while using Shatter Magic?
    Or means can't use other high level ability and innate ability while Shatter Magic?
    Only the active abilities cannot be used during that time.

Disrupt Magic is unaffected.
  • RoarRoar Member Posts: 41
    does the disrupt magic affect beholders and dragons? do beholders and dragons count as welders of arcane magic as well? cool mod btw, thumbs up!
    Disrupt Magic doesn't affect dragons and beholders as their spell-like abilities are innate. They do not actually cast them like normal mages. However, Disrupt Magic will affect any monster that is an actual arcane spellcaster (i.e. an Ogre Mage).

For a better comparison, if Miscast Magic (the level 3 priest spell) works on a certain monster then Disrupt Magic will work on it as well.
    RoarbooinyoureyesCrevsDaak
    How about liches, rashakas, efreets, do they use their spells as inate abilities?
    In the original game, Disrupt Magic will work on Liches and Rakshasa (who cast arcane spells like normal mages) but it won't work on Efreet (who use spell-like abilities innately).

However, this also depends on your mod setup. For example, SCS has an option to make genies and dragons cast like normal mages in which case Disrupt Magic will work on them.
    Roar
    I see thank u so much and I have started a run w the new wizard slayer =)
    booinyoureyesGreener
  • EdukuEduku Member Posts: 4
    AlexT said:

Dalryk said:

Yes. Open setup-wsr.tp2 in Notepad and locate this block:

COPY_EXISTING ~dualclas.2da~ ~override~ // dual-class list
    SET_2DA_ENTRY_LATER ~RR#WSDC~ 28 2 ~0~ // prevent Wizard Slayers from dual-classing into clerics
    SET_2DA_ENTRY_LATER ~RR#WSDC~ 28 3 ~0~ // prevent Wizard Slayers from dual-classing into mages
    SET_2DA_ENTRY_LATER ~RR#WSDC~ 28 4 ~0~ // prevent Wizard Slayers from dual-classing into thieves
    SET_2DA_ENTRY_LATER ~RR#WSDC~ 28 5 ~0~ // prevent Wizard Slayers from dual-classing into druids
    SET_2DA_ENTRIES_NOW ~RR#WSDC~ 3 // Actually make the changes
    BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES
    Deleting that block will remove the dual class restriction. You need to reinstall the mod after that though.

Note that the dual-class restriction was added by design, so removing it may affect the balance of the kit.
    I tried doing this and I still can't dual class?
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Did you install the mod after removing the code? Do you have the stats required to dual class?
    Shin said:

Did you install the mod after removing the code? Do you have the stats required to dual class?

Yes, I reinstalled the mod twice over and still can't dual class. And I definitely have the stats to dual class to mage or thief at least.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited January 2014
    @Eduku try editing the dualclas.2DA AFTER installing the mod with some editor like NI or DLTCEP, I found it easier that way.
    Edit: I've said dualclas.tp2 :D :P XD epic fail
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Is the mod open to suggestions @AlexT? Or it's the final version?
    CrevsDaak said:

@Eduku try editing the dualclas.2DA AFTER installing the mod with some editor like NI or DLTCEP, I found it easier that way.
    Edit: I've said dualclas.tp2 :D :P XD epic fail

Thanks, that worked.
    CrevsDaak
  • vangoatvangoat Member Posts: 212
    Maybe a silly question, but if install this after already having started a game with a WS, will it take effect or do I need to restart?

Just realised how screwed the vanilla WS is. Monks get way more MR and earlier, paladins can get more just by picking up Carsomyr. The magic interrupty thing is silly, because if I can hit the mage I can make their spell fail anyway. If it somehow worked through PFMW/mantles then it might actually be worth something.
  • MenkalinanMenkalinan Member Posts: 17
    I think the vanilla Wizard Slayer has to be the most useless kit in the whole game. There's nothing good about it. But this mod changes the kit into something much more useful.
    CrevsDaak
  • JoboloJobolo Member Posts: 1
    Sorry to bump an older thread, but do you have a zipped linux/mac version of the mod?
  • lololo555lololo555 Member Posts: 66
    Does the Disrupt Magic ability affect Irenicus, Dragons (all their spells are innate O_o?), and ToB minor and final bosses?
  • sparrow13xsparrow13x Member Posts: 120
    Jobolo said:

Sorry to bump an older thread, but do you have a zipped linux/mac version of the mod?

I would also like to know this! Wizard Slayer is one of the coolest sounding classes in the game and I really want to make them playable.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JuliusBorisov
    JuliusBorisov
  • sparrow13xsparrow13x Member Posts: 120
    @subtledoctor I unzipped it and moved it to my game directory but this is the result I got when I tried to run it (already had Mac WeidU launcher and WeidU):

[SETUP-WSR.TP2] PARSE ERROR at line 1 column 0--1
    Near Text:
    GLR parse error

[SETUP-WSR.TP2] ERROR at line 1 column 0--1
    Near Text:
    Parsing.Parse_error
    ERROR: parsing [SETUP-WSR.TP2]: Parsing.Parse_error
    ERROR: problem parsing TP file [SETUP-WSR.TP2]: Parsing.Parse_error

FATAL ERROR: Parsing.Parse_error

Press ENTER to exit.

Any idea how to fix this?