Skip to content

BG2EE: Neera's quest (SPOILERS)

SO I have made my way to the Red Wizards' hideout in the Promenade. I tried to enter the slave pens (well through the door with the two guards) with the Gul Dukeem and this fellow appears and says I'm trying to end their operation, and then everybody attacks me. Behind the door, there are about twenty(!) dudes trying to kill me. I really can't nuke 'em with Cloudkill or such because there's a neutral bartender there, and if you accidentally kill him, it will lower your reputation by eight! Is this even supposed to happen? I've tried to sneak my way to slave pens but there's nothing you can really do.

What are your experiences with this quest? What did YOU do?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I was playing an evil character so I pretty well just slaughtered everyone.

To be honest its been too long since I did the quest. Can you ask Gul Dukem to see his wares and avoid combat?
  • selkyraselkyra Member Posts: 54
    The game was released yesterday and it has been too long :) ?
    I asked him to show his "wares" (slaves) but I get interrupted by another wizard and get attacked.
    edited November 2013
    selkyra said:

The game was released yesterday and it has been too long :) ?
    I asked him to show his "wares" (slaves) but I get interrupted by another wizard and get attacked.

I was a beta tester. I probably beat that quest 2 months ago. Also I'm like 1156 years old so my memory isn't what it used to be :p

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble with it. To be honest I basically took the approach of slaughtering everyone in that room, so I'm probably not going to be much help for you. I do remember it being kind of tough so hang in there :)
    I might just blast 'em and fix my reputation with.. erm.. *magic*. But what I really want to know is there a less violent way to solve this part of the quest?
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    Yes.

If memory serves you can ask to inspect the slaves for purchase or something. Either way, even if you just start a fight with him, the people past the door will not be hostile, and you can deal with those rooms in a pretty funny way.
    elminsterzupsky
    enqenq said:

Yes.

If memory serves you can ask to inspect the slaves for purchase or something. Either way, even if you just start a fight with him, the people past the door will not be hostile, and you can deal with those rooms in a pretty funny way.
    But I wasn't given a choice! They attacked me! Oh, well...
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    Yeah, I can't swear I remember it correctly. There might be an option one, try to pretend you're someone important, he leads you to the door, some Thayan recognizes you and the fight is on. Option two, pretend you just want to buy slaves, he lets you in. Option three, just kill him and the rest of the merchants. Options one and two might just be the same.

I felt like indulging Neera's desire to wipe out the room since on a previous playthrough one of the merchants had the nerve to charge me 9k gold for an item I didn't know I would come to replace.
  • AramintaiAramintai Member Posts: 232
    I've another question about Neera's quest - where is that boy Kirik that a woman from the refuge asks you to find? I've searched the wild forest through and through and can't find him.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Aramintai said:

I've another question about Neera's quest - where is that boy Kirik that a woman from the refuge asks you to find? I've searched the wild forest through and through and can't find him.

He's near the top left corner of the map, in the Wild Forest.
    elminsterAramintaiEudaemonium
  • onmikkelsenonmikkelsen Member Posts: 25
    I'm so stuck at this....

I've received the quest to destroy the red wizards at waukeen promenade. But i cant get in, nobody at the door, and the door cant be picked. Am I missing something? Isn't it here i should find them? How do I find them?

I'm so stuck at this....

I've received the quest to destroy the red wizards at waukeen promenade. But i cant get in, nobody at the door, and the door cant be picked. Am I missing something? Isn't it here i should find them? How do I find them?

In front of the door there's supposed to be a 'bouncer' whom you need to talk with to gain access. Are you looking at the right place? He's behind the circus tent.
    Bouncer?? no bouncer for me. Between the circus tent and the Red Wizard door, i have 2 amnian solders and Mira (merchant behind the circus) No Bouncer what so ever...

Strange. Maybe you need to resort to using the console but I don't know how to help there.
    edited November 2013
    With the console enabled you could try

C:CreateCreature("ohnrwbou")

Hopefully that will work. (If not save beforehand and just reload if it doesn't)
  • althoralthor Member Posts: 67
    To the OP, there are several options that will give different results.
    You do not have to fight them all, and if you do things right, you end up with quite abit of help.
  • RyofuRyofu Member Posts: 268
    anyone know if regninald the half orc saved from the compound? and how to do it?

elminster said:

With the console enabled you could try

C:CreateCreature("ohnrwbou")

Hopefully that will work. (If not save beforehand and just reload if it doesn't)

Still nobody at the door
  • RadhamanthysRadhamanthys Member Posts: 106
    Anyone knows how you can proceed to the second room in the Red Wizards enclave (the one with the bartender) without being attacked?
    When trying to speak and ask about seeing the "slaves" there is a cut-scene about entering the 2nd room and getting recognised and thus everyone gets hostile.
  • Ryofu said:

anyone know if regninald the half orc saved from the compound? and how to do it?

Like with the other wild mages, you have to have a meaningful interaction with him before he's captured. Pester him for questions in the camp until he attacks you, then either don't fight back, or fight back but refuse to kill him when he asks you to "finish him off." This apparently teaches him the value of not fighting, or at least thinking about what's going to happen when you fight, as he'll lay off trying to break out of his cage after being warned by the Red Wizards instead of pushing it until it kills him.

Anyone knows how you can proceed to the second room in the Red Wizards enclave (the one with the bartender) without being attacked?
    When trying to speak and ask about seeing the "slaves" there is a cut-scene about entering the 2nd room and getting recognised and thus everyone gets hostile.

This is what happened to me, and I'm not really sure what caused it. I resorted to casting Cloud Kill all over the place (killing the bartender too).
  • RadhamanthysRadhamanthys Member Posts: 106
    I haven't done the quest yet, since the battle is just too difficult for my low level party. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to avoid fighting everyone in there?
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    What I did was pcik a fight with Gul Dukeem. I didn't pretend to be a merchant or anything like that, just called him out and spanked him. If you do this no one comes out of or goes into the other room and you can take these guys out. Once they've been dealt with you can move into the next room and talk your way through most of the rest of the enclave.
  • MoczoMoczo Member Posts: 236
    edited December 2013
    *Deleted*
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    GoodSteve said:

What I did was pcik a fight with Gul Dukeem. I didn't pretend to be a merchant or anything like that, just called him out and spanked him. If you do this no one comes out of or goes into the other room and you can take these guys out. Once they've been dealt with you can move into the next room and talk your way through most of the rest of the enclave.

You can also pick pocket the key, another thing you can do is pretend to want slaves with most of your party far back, make sure you close the door before the second room goes hostile and kill everyone hostile in the first room except gul dukeem. Then you can start the war inside and you don't even have to kill anyone yourself because I think the wizards actually lose every fight (just try to get some hits in for exp).
  • JarlealeJarleale Member Posts: 114
    edited December 2013
    I bought items from Gul Dukeem's store. Then I trapped the room and dominated Gul Dukeem and some of his merchant-friends. After having summoned skeletons and bless/chant/PrfE/hasted my party, I slaughtered everything in the first room, including a red wizard coming in (Gul Dukeem's dominate and finger of death was useful). When I managed to kill everyone with the door shut, the mercenaries in the next room was neutral. I convinced them that we were the new recruits. The wild mage bar woman can make the mercenaries drunk for 150 gp. They will then revolt and kill all the red mages around and then leave. Later, the slaves can be freed. They come back with the city watch and help you kill Lanneth's goons.

I think it might be possible to do this and preserve Gul Dukeem's shop, as he became neutral after the charm/dominate spell was off. I still killed him off though, so can't really say...
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    You can keep Gul Dukeem's store, but you cannot have Neera with you when you visit him, as she will protest about your 'shady contacts', (or Edwin, since he leaves the moment you enter the building).
    jackjack
  • ErinneErinne Member Posts: 151
    I just asked Gul Dukeem about buying slaves and a red wizard came out of the second room (the door closed behind him automatically), said something like "You're helping those wild mages!" and attacked. I killed him and the 3 merchants, but nobody in the second room turned hostile and I could turn the mercenaries against the wizards. I'm wondering what causes the different reactions...
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    Jarleale said:

I bought items from Gul Dukeem's store. Then I trapped the room and dominated Gul Dukeem and some of his merchant-friends. After having summoned skeletons and bless/chant/PrfE/hasted my party, I slaughtered everything in the first room, including a red wizard coming in (Gul Dukeem's dominate and finger of death was useful). When I managed to kill everyone with the door shut, the mercenaries in the next room was neutral. I convinced them that we were the new recruits. The wild mage bar woman can make the mercenaries drunk for 150 gp. They will then revolt and kill all the red mages around and then leave. Later, the slaves can be freed. They come back with the city watch and help you kill Lanneth's goons.

I think it might be possible to do this and preserve Gul Dukeem's shop, as he became neutral after the charm/dominate spell was off. I still killed him off though, so can't really say...

Ok putting this all in a spoiler:

So I did this without any dominates and with a lot more talking.

You convince Gul Dukeem that you are here to shop, and convince Neera that she should go along (I had 20 CHA at the time). Then I had Hexxat pop 3x master thievery to get up to 220 stealing (she got caught twice at 180). There's some nice stuff here scrolls and wands wise, you get so many potions that the only ones I stole were Master Thievery to replenish (I have mage stronghold anyway).

You then convince Gul Dukeem you want to buy slaves, which will have him open the door for you, I just instantly backstabbed the wizard who walked in popped a few of my abilities (can't rest the rest of the way so just try to melee down these guys and save your spell defense removal for later. Make sure you close the door so the next room doesn't agro.

Walk in with Hexxat only (or any thief), close the door, convince the Mercs your new recruits. Open the locked chests in the room to the left and one of them you get a journal that tells you about the merc leader's lost brethren on this screwed up job. You can get her drunk by cheering the fallen in the right order but before you do that, go to the bottom room and observe the gladiator fight.

Drink a haste potion and have an invis potion ready, get the Merc leader drunk to lead a revolt but as shes spouting off, go free the minotaur. Now just pick off mages with backstabs while the Mercs and Slaves revolt.

Then the Merc will approach Lanneth who tells her that you were the ones who killed her men in the first place and she leaves, and then the Minotaur brings the city guard to kill everything while you pick off last hits for EXP.

Finally buff up for 2 mages and 2 blackguards and then free all of the wild mages you saved.

What I don't know is whether killing Hayes does anything positive...

JLee
  • XiaolinXiaolin Member Posts: 18
    edited March 2014
    Sorry for the Necro. Put a protection from magic scroll on the Bartender and proceed to Web / Cloudkill / Fireball / Skulltrap.

Cheese would be to cast the scroll from Simulacara Helm or Project Image to save the scroll.

The bartender will run in fear while everyone around him melts in front of his eyes I suppose.
    selkyra said:

SO I have made my way to the Red Wizards' hideout in the Promenade. I tried to enter the slave pens (well through the door with the two guards) with the Gul Dukeem and this fellow appears and says I'm trying to end their operation, and then everybody attacks me. Behind the door, there are about twenty(!) dudes trying to kill me. I really can't nuke 'em with Cloudkill or such because there's a neutral bartender there, and if you accidentally kill him, it will lower your reputation by eight! Is this even supposed to happen? I've tried to sneak my way to slave pens but there's nothing you can really do.

What are your experiences with this quest? What did YOU do?

Flashburn