Skip to content

Weapon Non-Proficiency *Not an issue.*

DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
edited November 2012 in Fixed
Currently, not being proficient with a weapon bestows no penalty when using it - at least, not on the Character Record screen.

Characters attempting to wield weapons with which they are not proficient should receive a penalty when doing so.

Either that, or every character should receive a free proficiency slot in every weapon it can wield, to avoid the "wasted" proficiency.
Post edited by Tanthalas on

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited June 2012
    I'm getting the penalties.

Are you experimenting with this on your PC or one of the joinable NPCs?

EDIT: And do you have any mods installed? That might be the problem.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Maybe. It's actually been a while since I played BG1 in its vanilla form - this is just what I'm remembering from the last time I played. I did google it, though, and it seems to be a known issue.
    Actually, I'm pretty sure that the BGT mod fixes this, which is why I don't have a problem.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    That's possible too. In fact, if anyone can confirm that this bug doesn't exist in BG2, it might just be a trait of the BG1 engine.

The penalty is -2, in case anyone needs to know that information (it doesn't seem to exist anywhere that I've looked, except through trial and error).
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    That's possible too. In fact, if anyone can confirm that this bug doesn't exist in BG2, it might just be a trait of the BG1 engine.

The penalty is -2, in case anyone needs to know that information (it doesn't seem to exist anywhere that I've looked, except through trial and error).
    That ties into the request to give races that have bonuses to their racial weapons - elves and longswords for example. The request was to give them a proficiency point instead of the +1 thaco they currently get. With only the +1, while using a longsword without any proficiency points they would be swinging at a -1.

Also I'm for more accurate details on damages and thaco and so forth on the character sheet.

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    actually different classes have different penalties, the fighter types of =3 to hit, priests and thieves have -4 to hit, and mages have -5 to hit with weapons that they arent proficient with, in the SoA they made it so you were proficient with your fist, but every other weapon still has those penalties for those classes
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    edited June 2012
    From the AD&D Player's Handbook:

Penalty is the modifier to the character's attack rolls when he fights using a weapon he is not proficient with.

Class Penalty Warrior -2 Wizard -5 Priest -3 Rogue -3
  • pacekpacek Member Posts: 92
    @Aosaw, it's been a while since I played vanilla BG1. But my memory tells me this isn't quite a bug, but character sheet only ever displays base Thac0 (no bonuses or penalties). Am I wrong? What does it say when you equip an enchanted weapon vs a standard one?
    Bonuses and penalties to THAC0 appear on the character sheet.

IIRC its something like this:

Base THAC0:
    THAC0:
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    edited June 2012
    ^ True. It is in Ps:T that only the actual THAC0 (not the base THAC0) appears, which is why there is a mod component to show "BG-style THAC0" in Ps:T's character sheets. I can't recall any IE games where only the base THAC0 would appear.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    @Tanthalas non issue.