Skip to content

Help! BGII:EE NPC Portraits override location?!

I know that replacing the NPC portraits in BG:EE was very easy. One just had to drop the portraits into the override folder, pretty much.
But now I've tried this on BGII:EE, without success. I've created both an override folder and a portrait folder in both "\Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition" and the "\BeamDog\Games\00783", but the portraits just won't change. So where do I place them?

Comments

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Um, that still works. Are you naming the files correctly?
  • GyllenborgGyllenborg Member Posts: 8
    I assumed it was the name and then either L, M or S? Like, IMOENL.bmp?
  • TschakongTschakong Member Posts: 25
    Name them NIMOENL, NIMOENM, NIMOENS and this should work. Just put a "N" before the files.

best regards,
    edited November 2013
    The portraits still doesn't change I'm afraid. I really am clueless as no one else seems to have this problem...

EDIT: Are the folders case sensitive?
    edited November 2013
    Hm, tried this a minute before to be sure. It works for me.
    Please check if your pictures have the right format. I.e. the L 210x330, M 169x266 and S 54x84.

If that's the case, open your pictures with "paint", save as .bmp to override them. Maybe there's somehting wrong with your .bmp file.

You can use your user folder. I.e. for me this is: C:\Users\Horst\Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition\override
    Files: NIMOENM.bmp, NIMOENS.bmp, NIMOENL.bmp

Try to do this with other portraits if this does not work with "imoen". See attached the following link for all names (except the new NPC's):
    http://portraits.chosenofmystra.net/npc_portrait_change.html

If this does not work, let me know again.

Edit: If you need a good program to resize and reformat the pictures, i can recommend "faststone image viewer" (freeware of course).
    If it does still not work, attach your files to your next post, and i will check if they work for me. If not i will reformat and send them back to you.
    Alright, so...
    I got Imoen to work. Then I tried Jaheira, which ended up not working.
    After doing some more searching about, I used the Shadowkeeper tool in a try to change Portrait. However, no selectable portraits appeared aside from a few small ones that I believe belong to the added contents of EE.
    What I did notice however was that the obvious names of the portraits didn't extend past 8 letters in total. For example, one of the portraits was named "BALTHAZL" which I assumed would be the name Balthazar. So instead of naming the portrait "NJAHEIRAL" (nine letters) I named it too "NJAHERL" (eight letters). And wohoo! It worked!

But then I decided to try and change the portrait of Hexxat, with "NHEXXATL". It didn't work...
    I know it may be seen as spoilers of some sort, but does Hexxat happen to have another name upon her portrait?
    Yep, that's correct. Only 8 letters (incl. the S/N/L) are allowed. Sorry, thought you knew it, otherwise i would have written this too. I have readed somehere, that the new NPC's have no "N" before their filename. I.e. Dorn is DornS, DornM, DornL. Try this with Hexxat too, i.e. HexxatS, HexxatM, HexxatL. Maybe this works.

I can't try this, because i don't have no new NPC's in my grp, waiting for some mods to come out before i start playing.
    Alright, I'll try that.
    Thanks for the help! Much appreciated!
    Glad that i could help. have fun!
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    For confirmation, that means BG2:EE's code for Viconia's portrait is NVICONIL.BMP?
    edited November 2013
    No, thats NVICONM.bmp / NVICONS.bmp

The old codes are still active. You have an overview for all NPC's on this page:
    http://portraits.chosenofmystra.net/npc_portrait_change.html

Only the new NPC's (Dorn, Neera, Rasaad, Hexxat) are not stated. As i am aware of, their code is just the NPC name + M/S.

I.e. for Neera: NeeraM.bmp / NeeraS.bmp. But i haven't tryed this out, so i can't give confirmation on that.

• war_m0nger69war_m0nger69 Member Posts: 3
    Hmmm, I'm having the same issue. Very strange. Is the override folder in the \user\My Documents\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition folder?
    The path you have written is correct.

Usually there's no folder generated automatically. If it's not there, you have to create the "override" folder.
  • gazukullgazukull Member Posts: 1
    To make it easy on my self, I did all the images @ 210x330. Worked great and they look great in game.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited November 2013
    I've tried replacing Hexxat's portrait with HEXXATL and NHEXXATL (as well as M and S), and neither have worked. Does anyone know the correct code?

EDIT: Nevermind. I just looked them up in DLTCEP. The correct names are OHHEXXS, OHHEXXM, and OHHEXXL.
    Post edited by Mortianna on