Skip to content

Hexxat (First Impressions) (And Spoilers, duh! ;p)

[Spoiler]
I almost didn't post this since others already have praised the devs/writers for coming up with this truly unique and unexpected experience. I happened to experience Hexxat for the first time in a multiplayer game, and going into it I was confident I'd really like the character (even if I tend to play good/neutral).

Well, when you first meet Hexxat (and if you were like me, expecting something totally bad axe/awesome), you will have a confused look on your face.

"What the heck is this monotone, mind funked character? Surely this cannot be Hexxat!"

And of course the sound she makes when she is hit or injured, almost sounds Microsoft Sammish, leaving me even more perplexed and confused! My friend and I both were slack jawed and for a moment, disappointed...

Then we enter the first tomb with her and things get - interesting fast. I am still stumbling over the monotone voice of hers and left wondering: Okay, what the heck is going on here? There is something very interesting here, waiting for me in the shadows, but I have yet to pick up on it!

That is where the genius lies. It leaves you VERY unprepared for the awesome that is coming, bearing down on you like a charging locomotive.

When Hexxat's voice emerges from the monotone upon meeting--Hexxat?! at the end of the quest, that is when my eyes went wide and I became ever so bushy tailed. "Holy heck!" I cried, "DID YOU SEE HER NAME!?" I exclaimed to my friend, "SHE IS HEXXAT TO--HOLY HECK SHE JUST KILLED HEXXAT--1.0!!"

My friend and I were both jumping out of our seats, both in terror, shock, and absolute surprise.

The devs/writers had caught us completely off guard and - discovering that Hexxat 2.0 is actually a playable vampire character with very vampire-like qualities (the respite idea is incredibly unique and, well, just plain awesome), is something I hadn't expected. Sure, we can get a tiefling in this game to join our party, but really, a tiefling isn't TERRIBLY unique (compared to a vampire) when you get down to it, especially since you can make tieflings in other D&D games.
[/Spoiler]

Bottom line - you guys are brilliant with the writing/story telling aspect. I might be disappointed in some things so far, and the many bugs I've stumbled on, but if those can be resolved, you have yourselves a very solid and history making game right here. I will be telling all of my friends (oh wait, I already have :P). I will be singing Beamdog's praise to everyone I know (...wait, already doing that too...).

Well, kudos to you, my hat's off to the lot of you! I look forward to the rest of the story and cannot wait to see what else you have in store for me :)

Comments

• AlparonAlparon Member Posts: 58
    umm but we do have a thiefling: Haer'dalis?

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Haer'Dalis
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    Alparon said:

umm but we do have a thiefling: Haer'dalis?

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Haer'Dalis

That is probably why I said we have a tiefling :)
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    My knowledge of D&D totally ruined me. I first got her in my party and immediately figured "Hm, her head hurts, she speaks monotonely and says she NEEDS to go someplace, sounds like mind control".
    Then I got into the tomb, concluded that tombs = undead and the prime undead mind controller is a vampire. Having the Journal say that Dragomir was a vampire (despite faux-Hexxat never telling you this) sealed the deal for me.
    That she was a sexy black lady was unfamiliar to me though and something I liked very much.
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    Drugar said:

My knowledge of D&D totally ruined me. I first got her in my party and immediately figured "Hm, her head hurts, she speaks monotonely and says she NEEDS to go someplace, sounds like mind control".
    Then I got into the tomb, concluded that tombs = undead and the prime undead mind controller is a vampire. Having the Journal say that Dragomir was a vampire (despite faux-Hexxat never telling you this) sealed the deal for me.
    That she was a sexy black lady was unfamiliar to me though and something I liked very much.
    Yeah, I am surprised I didn't pick up on the MC as well, really, I think the
    monotone voice
    probably reduced my ability to think clearly as I was in so much shock and bewilderment xD

I do agree though that
    not-faux Hexxat
    physical qualities were unexpected and a nice touch :)