Skip to content

I have never complained on board before, but....

PippaPPippaP Member Posts: 13
Like it or not, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 are the latest Windows OS's. This is not intended as a debate on whether or not Win 8& 8.1are game-worthy.

What I'm asking is that the game be fixed so it can be played by those of us who bought it and are using the newest OS. I for one do not care to spend hours trying to get a game to work that was intended to run on a modern PC. This series is one of my favorites and I did not anticipate a struggle. I was going to buy BG2, but not now. I have no "q's" and no "J's". I have to run in windowed mode which is annoying. I've disabled DPI scaling and all those other things that folks have suggested. If you were Jaheira, how would you like to be called "aheira".

Come on guys, it's not as though this newest OS was a surprise.

Comments

• laptopman666laptopman666 Member Posts: 283
    windows 8 is very buggy, and is probably difficult to code an older game for. Sort of like many people cannot play oblivion on windows 8 (who knows why) but that would probably explain less support for this game and windows 8. I am not trying to be a negative nectarine here though. Just giving my thoughts.
  • FFGFFG Member Posts: 52
    Playing this on Windows 8 works perfectly fine for me.
    PippaP said:

If you were Jaheira, how would you like to be called "aheira".

That's pretty funny.

• PippaPPippaP Member Posts: 13
    I don't like to be negative either, but if it won't play in 8.1, why don't they just say so. Anyhow, I played the game with new character, and thought I was home free because it it played in windowed mode okay up until the time I looked in my journal. All blank except for the multitude of commas on the screen-awful. I give up on this game and BG2 as well and it's just too bad.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Do you have any reason to think that your problems are due to a compatibility issue with Windows 8.1?
  • StoneSwordsStoneSwords Member Posts: 180
    I know it's the obvious question, but do you have any mods installed?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    You should post specific bug threads on each specific issue. Putting this thread in the feature request section isn't helping.
  • NybCRNybCR Member Posts: 27
    FFG said:

Playing this on Windows 8 works perfectly fine for me.

Ditto here.
  • PippaPPippaP Member Posts: 13
    First of all, it played in 8.0 for me with the video driver I was using which was only a couple of weeks old. I have no mods installed.

So either Win 8.1 broke the patch or the patch broke the game. I have the game, BGEE installed at home on my Win 7 desktop along with BG2, the old retail version all modded up. But we're travelling so when the patch came out as well as the new game, I thought I'd I be able to enjoy them both on the road.

Somebody smarter then me will figure it out. Maybe the download got corrupted, but I don't have the ability to redo it now. Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer.

Love,"aheira"