Skip to content

BG2:EE Review Thread

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited November 2013
    While we're still waiting for the Gamebanshee review here's another review that hardly mentions the enhancement but focuses on the game itself.

http://corruptedcartridge.com/baldurs-gate-ii-enhanced-edition-review-trip-memory-lane/

3.9 from 5

"... if you have never played Baldurs Gate II, and wants to see what it is all about – Baldurs Gate II: Enhanced Edition is the version of the game to get. It works perfectly, while it has some nice additions that was not present in the original. If you are a returning fan of the game, it will not bring as many surprises, but still give a nice trip down memory lane. And if you get hooked to it, you will find that it sports many hundred hours of gameplay giving great value for your bucks. It is not perfect, but it is a nice piece of history".
  • ChinookUTChinookUT Member Posts: 32
    http://stickskills.com/2013/11/18/baldurs-gate-ii-enhanced-edition-review-classic-returns/

"If you're looking for a reason to revisit the RPG classic, Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition is a well made, if not slightly expensive option."

Scored 8.5/10.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Here're the new finds:

1. http://www.examiner.com/review/baldur-s-gate-2-enhanced-edition-review

4 stars from 5

"Visually, Overhaul Games have once again done a great job bringing a classic PC game into the widescreen world. The original pre-rendered backgrounds look great, considering their age, and the cut scenes look decent as well. As far as performance goes, the load times and overall speed of the game have been greatly improved, which is a good thing since there can be a lot of loading screens."

2. http://justpressstart.net/baldurs-gate-ii-enhanced-edition-review/

This review gives no score but it covers the enhancement and I find it solid enough.

"The biggest difference between Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition and the original Baldur’s Gate II is the effects. What were colored bubbles are now proper gas effects. All of the effects have been overhauled to use the graphical capabilities of current systems while not improving so much that it looks out of place with the older style of game. The effects balance out to make for a wonderful effect that makes the environment give the player an appropriate feeling for the situation."

3. If you want to have a good laugh, see http://www.twinfinite.net/blog/2013/11/16/baldurs-gate-2-review/

I sometimes wonder if a journo really has any experience on the subject he writes about. In this case, the writer seems to be a complete dummy.

"The combat is also a complete mess. I don’t know if this version is more difficult than the original but I was unaware that RPG’s featured character’s standing there and constantly missing attacks on an enemy. There are plenty of encounters that boiled down to clicking on an opponent and just watching everyone miss each other for what felt like minutes. Trying to look through the stats of your character doesn’t mean anything to if you’re not familiar with the rule set. Why does the armor number go down? What the fuck does THACO mean?

Also, how the hell does magic work? I eventually figured out resting gives you your spells back, but it took far too long. This is just another instance of the game assuming that the player is coming into the game with prior knowledge."

Man, just read a manual before writing a review and especially before giving this game 2/5....
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    edited November 2013
    Heres a negative one, you should put in the OP so it can be named and shamed:

http://www.twinfinite.net/blog/2013/11/16/baldurs-gate-2-review/

Oh, its already written above.

You know I started playing BG1 when I was like 11 or 12, dived right in without reading the manual, and though I died a lot, I reloaded and kept playing and it was just amazing.

Then within a few weeks I could have recited the entire manual word by word because it became my bedtime reading book.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    edited November 2013
    Reviews of a game such as this, should only be made by people who have a clue to what Dungeons and Dragons is and the ruleset, this being 2nd Edition. Or at least do some damned research so you might have a clue.
    Mungri said:

Heres a negative one, you should put in the OP so it can be named and shamed:

http://www.twinfinite.net/blog/2013/11/16/baldurs-gate-2-review/

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    bengoshi said:

3. If you want to have a good laugh, see http://www.twinfinite.net/blog/2013/11/16/baldurs-gate-2-review/

I sometimes wonder if a journo really has any experience on the subject he writes about. In this case, the writer seems to be a complete dummy.

"The combat is also a complete mess. I don’t know if this version is more difficult than the original but I was unaware that RPG’s featured character’s standing there and constantly missing attacks on an enemy. There are plenty of encounters that boiled down to clicking on an opponent and just watching everyone miss each other for what felt like minutes. Trying to look through the stats of your character doesn’t mean anything to if you’re not familiar with the rule set. Why does the armor number go down? What the fuck does THACO mean?

Also, how the hell does magic work? I eventually figured out resting gives you your spells back, but it took far too long. This is just another instance of the game assuming that the player is coming into the game with prior knowledge."

Man, just read a manual before writing a review and especially before giving this game 2/5....

Yea that one was just...wow. Its funny because aren't a lot of these things (like resting to get back spells) explained in the tutorial? Dude just seems really angry and too lazy to read.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Thanks guys, updated now
  • AenorAenor Member Posts: 64
    elminster said:

bengoshi said:

Yea that one was just...wow. Its funny because aren't a lot of these things (like resting to get back spells) explained in the tutorial? Dude just seems really angry and too lazy to read.
    This is a pretty good example as to why game journalism is so bad. Can you imagine a film critic writing something like this about, let's say, Citizen Kane or some other revered old film? Just shameful.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I don't think it is necessarilly a dumb review even if I disagree with it.
    We need reviews from all perspectives, not just people who have played the original game.
  • AenorAenor Member Posts: 64
    edited November 2013
    As someone who reads a lot of art criticism, I'd say that review reads very much like a random IMDB post.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    You can't hide the fact that 2nd edition ruleset is anything but clear, and that it CAN be pretty troublesome to learn it when starting the game.
    The fact that the animation aren't really tied to real attacks is also something that's pretty weird when you're not used to the engine.

Those are legitimate complaints.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Aranthys The underlying issue are there, yes, but what's written in that review isn't (all) legitimate. It's obvious he hasn't spent any time with the manual or tutorials.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722

@Aranthys The underlying issue are there, yes, but what's written in that review isn't (all) legitimate. It's obvious he hasn't spent any time with the manual or tutorials.

Indeed :D
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    When I first saw the light up quest trail in the Neverwinter MMO, I think I had a stroke.
    The other problem with that 2/5 review is that the guy writing it claims to be a hardcore oldschool gamer and has never played BG before and finds it too hard today? Just what exactly has he been playing all this time, magical pony land and Barbie's fashion adventure?
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    This time a review on quite popular Polish site:
    http://www.gry-online.pl/S020.asp?ID=9375

Quite nice 8/10.
    edited November 2013
    Well, a new review - this time from a rather serious gaming site, but still very small in terms of usefulness.

http://terminalgamer.com/2013/11/19/review-baldurs-gate-ii-enhanced-edition/

6/10 - the site calls it "better than average"

"The graphics really didn’t change a whole lot and it still looks like a ten year old Dungeons and Dragons game, but if a journey to the past and a bowl full of Nostalgia is what you are looking for, then this is the game for you." Hmmm... I still think the graphics has changed a lot and the game looks far better.

Also, a very solid review (but in Italian): http://theshelternetwork.com/baldurs-gate2-enhanced-edition/

9/10

A quote (with Google translate): "Ultimately, a much better job than the previous , with content more appealing and more attractive a widescreen mode , so as not to feel the lack of mod of Gibberlings Three . Do not deny it : buy it for sure, but mine is a disease fanatic. Know that you find on Beamdog in complete and updated version (certainly more than that on Steam , which will require a step offices in more than Atari ) and I really hope that with this look passionate, you 're done a little ' if the idea is really what it does for you or if , instead , as good geeks , favorite lost among the thousands of additional mods created by the community . One thing is certain , Bhaal is satisfied by the effort made ​​by Trent and partners and I would reward the continuous support and improvement of revisions , changes that we are certain settle any other minor problems of this second Enhanced Edition"

And congrats to @ajwz , out new Mr. Insightful ;) Hooray!
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • PacManPolarBearPacManPolarBear Member Posts: 1
    Review: Baldur’s Gate I & II – Enhanced Editions
    BigRedBarrel.com
    4/5
    http://www.bigredbarrel.com/blog/2013/11/review-baldurs-gate-iii-enhanced-editions/
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Yea I guess I didn't realize they didn't keep the tutorial. Still, you are playing the second game. I'm not sure why there is that expectation today that you are expected to get everything spoon fed to you.

I guess its just the general direction of the industry. I started playing Hearts of Iron 3 a few months back and started a game and had no idea what I was doing. Then I took the time to read through the manual in the game (it also had a tutorial but it wasn't that great) and low and behold I began to understand it.
    I see @ajwz has added a review from multiplayer.it - good find;)

This is what I've found recently:

http://toppcgamereviews.wordpress.com/2013/11/20/baldurs-gate-2-enhanced-edition-review/

It has no score but gives the game a verdict of "Top Dog";) It's funny when we think about the developer company's name;)

The review is rather detailed.

"So, the million dollar question: is it any good? Well given that the main aim is to deliver what was already a truly fabulous game to a new audience, then yes, it’s good. It’s very good. Baldur’s Gate 2 (and its expansion ‘Throne of Bhaal’, generously included in this Enhanced Edition) is widely hailed as one of the best RPGs, if not one of the best games, ever created. The new content is engaging, and sensitively integrated with the original. Overhaul take pains to paint themselves as fans of the game, and it shows. Some of the additions are so good you can’t believe Black Isle missed the opportunity to include them in the original, back in 2000 (and I’m thinking of Hexxat’s plot twist here)."

I just couldn't agree more.

http://www.digitallydownloaded.net/2013/11/review-baldurs-gate-2-enhanced-edition.html

Their editor-in-chief has given the game unbelievable 5 stars! But what else can we expect from a real fan: "To this day I remember feeling rather conflicted over killing Noober... Actually, that's a lie. Noober deserved to die."

"Over the years it's been depressing to watch what has happened to the RPG genre. Once a beacon for player agency, RPGs have become increasingly linear and even when they supposedly allow players free choice, it's smokes and mirrors. People write endlessly about how open Skyrim is, but the main narrative will remain exactly the same regardless of what you do in your downtime, and the game's dungeons are "follow the single path to the boss" affairs. Mass Effect is a stock standard shooter with the occasional cut scene giving players a "yes or no" alternative. Even the Witcher is a largely linear affair."

"In terms of additions to this edition, there's a couple of new characters, each with their own backstories and quests. It's impressive how neatly these characters integrate into the overall narrative - if I didn't know that these weren't original characters I would have never have guessed. It might not seem like a big addition and considering there are already so many different characters to party up with perhaps it's not much of a reason to repurchase the game, but by the same token I appreciated that there was something different to jump into after having replayed the original game so very many times."
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    I kind of wonder if the person who wrote the review for twinfinite has found out about the community's response to his review...

I kind of doubt he was expecting nobody caring about him just reviewing a game based of what seem to first impressions on failing to learn how to play the game...
    Regarding that 6/10 review, just three short paragraphs that say next to nothing about the game other than 'theres no tutorial' is considered a valid review these days?

Did the writer even play the game for more than the opening cut scene?
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    zerckan said:

Current generation of gamers have been treated like morons by games which point everything with Big colorful arrows.

No they aren't.

• MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Ayiekie said:

zerckan said:

Current generation of gamers have been treated like morons by games which point everything with Big colorful arrows.

No they aren't.

I love how "In my youth we had to walk 10km in a blizzard to get school " has changed to "In my youth we had to find video game quest objectives with any help ".

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    @Messi - In the case of Icewind Dale, it was often through snow, as well.
    Finally I've managed to find spanish and dutch reviews. It's always interesting what non-english speaking reviewers think, so

http://www.3djuegos.com/juegos/analisis/13398/0/baldurs-gate-ii-enhanced-edition/

"Excelente" that is 8/10

(from google translate) "Baldur's Gate II is a masterpiece. It's that simple. An enduring classic that remains 13 years after the adventures true benchmark between Western-style RPG. A set of ten, come on. Is it worth done with this Enhanced Edition? That it is a very personal matter. Brings little new, and improvements it brings are not as marked as expected. So if you already have the original, little new you are getting. Do not you played in your day? So either way, grab Baldur's Gate and its sequel.

+ Strategic combat system full of play possibilities.

+ You can spend over a hundred hours with the game and keep surprising you.

- Few improvements over the original.

- The program presents certain technological errors, very annoying in the case of online."

http://www.gamer.nl/review/436160/baldurs-gate-ii-enhanced-edition

7/10

(again from google translate) "Another important addition to the original is the new content . Overhaul Games has created four unique characters, three of which were already in the Enhanced Edition of the first game : wild mage Neera , half- orc blackguard Dorn , monk Rasaad and the unknown thief Hexxat . Their quests are certainly entertaining and occasionally their dialogues with the protagonist or other characters sublime. Sometimes , however, calls and zijverhaallijnen toe-curling cliche , if it comes to moderate fanfiction . Here the ' hilariously sarcastic " tone of the protagonist in the new content was really too much attention from the writers . And we could not put us over the terrible voice acting of Neera , what a joyful hat.

Moreover, the interaction between characters is not always logical ( and currently rich in bugs ) . So you can afpraten the evil Dorn its destructive path and servile , but is initially extremely impossible to talk to. Mouth without him Let us together as many innocent people slaughtered muhaha that idea. Incidentally, we had Hexxat initially struggling , but we were surprised with how she developed during her quest . She is the most interesting figure that Overhaul has added to the colorful cast . Eventually we found the new characters to hit written to really close in our hearts, but that actually applies to a few original NPCs . For curious players all available additional content for all through and through Baldur's Gate 2 and want to see more, it's nice bonus material."
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    Oh Neera, you joyful hat, you.

That is delightful and I will now refuse to believe it is a mistranslation.
  • betablockerbetablocker Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    German review by PC Games just in: 67/100!
    http://www.pcgames.de/Baldurs-Gate-2-Enhanced-Edition-PC-257851/Tests/Baldurs-Gate-2-Enhanced-Edition-im-Test-1098459/

Pros and cons (Google translation):
    + Gigantic scope: Contains Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal
    + New characters with interesting quests (Neera, Rassad)
    + Very short loading times
    + Uncomplicated multiplayer
    + Unchanged brilliant original game (orders, story, dialogues, replay value, battles - all great)
    - Bugs and Crashes
    - Implausible development of new group members (Dorn, Hexxat)
    - Boring separate arena "The Black Pits"
    - New dialogue with crowbars Humor
    - Unchanged fummeliges inventory without comfort
    - Opaque, poorly stated rules
    - lousy pathfinding
    - No options for graphics and shortcuts
    - No German translation
    - Heavily outdated video with blocky characters
    Another day, another review©

http://www.invisioncommunity.co.uk/review/baldurs-gate-ii-enhanced-edition-review/

4/5

"Sure the game can feel quite impenetrable and draining at times but like master of the mighty eating crisps with your toes technique once you’ve got it all you have to do is find the sauce… err, I mean the most confortable way for you to play the game and truly make it your epic adventure. I would discourage people who aren’t up for investing time in the game as it isn’t a short game (as I’m sure you’ve noticed) and is like a dog, for a long time, before it dies of awkward circumstances or is let loose to escape .It’s not just for Christmas. As for those who have already played the game it may be interesting to pick it up to play and although I didn’t get to far in the black pits part two a mage who blows himself to bits, a drunk Swedish sounding warrior and snarky sarcastically mage stuck in a arena can only call for good things. Now I need to go and get some air before people think I’ve died till next time Faerun."

http://www.technologytell.com/gaming/120538/review-baldurs-gate-ii-enhanced-edition/

"B" score

"Overall, Baldur’s Gate II Enhanced Edition, while pretty good, is only worthwhile for fans of the original, especially those who lost their original copies of the game (or don’t have versions that run on modern computers). Newcomers to the series are much better of with the enhanced edition of the original, which also runs on Windows, iPad, and the Mac. As a sequels go, it’s solid B+ material for this day and age, but as a standalone, it is a little lacking."

http://dk.ign.com/review/2196/baldur-s-gate-ii-enhanced-edition-anmeldelse-?mobile=1

7/10

(from Google translate): "Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition is superior to its predecessor. Better updates compared to the original, fewer errors and a generally more interesting games make this release a should not be misses by either veterans or newcomers role-playing fans. If you are not into interactive novels you should probably stay away since Baldur's Gate has always been a heavy partner to dance with. If however you love to immerse yourself in a world that is here to be done in a long time yet.

I highly recommend investing in this Enhanced Edition rather than find the older CDs forward, or to invest in an older, cheaper version. Both because of the new content, but especially since the game experience will be much more accessible. Newer player will be frightened by the old-fashioned working interface and the aging gameplay, it does not live up to today's standards. Squire you up with a pinch of patience, however, and give the game a chance, so here you will find a loving memory for life."

http://www.virtualinn.it/site/baldurs-gate-ii-enhanced-edition-recensione/

8.2/10

(from Google translate): "Baldur's Gate 2, even then, marked a step forward compared to the first chapter, keeping the good being offered by the latter, in the face of an evolution that has made it a rewarding experience and fun in all and to all, able to easily forget its marginal defects. The work done by then Overhaul Games is commendable: Enhanced Edition can rejuvenate a title nearly 15 years old, original and not distorting anything by going to enrich with small elements that increase the overall value of the proposed offer. A title definitely not for everyone, challenging and deep, which will require a long time to be completed, but that I would recommend without reservation. Please note that the game is currently available only in English and that the amount of dialogues and their complexity could create some difficulties for non-English speakers: these will have to wait for the output force (very likely) the patch amateur, that for the version Enhanced the first chapter has solved the problem by going to translate all the dialogue in our beloved mother tongue."