Skip to content

Baldur's Gate I and II will not start

Hello everyone,

I have emailed my issues to beamdog support but I thought I would post them here as well to see if I can get a quicker response or find someone who is experiencing similar problems. Whenever I attempt to start Baldur's Gate 1 or 2 I immediately receive an error message with the crash/dump line and some numbers afterwards. The game never starts. Baldur's Gate 1 worked fine for me until this last June - so I assume one of the newer patches made it incompatible or something. Here are my system specs:

Asus N61J
4 GB Memory
Windows 7
Intel Core i7
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 (I suspect the issue may be related to this card....)

I have tried multiple troubleshooting tactics with no positive results. Updated my graphics drivers - nothing. Tried to run the program in all the compatibility modes and as an administrator - nothing. Added the "openGL" graphics line to my baldur.ini file - nothing. Reinstalled the game - nothing. Installed OAL - nothing. At this point I am not sure what else to do. I bought BG 2 on Sunday thinking it might work even though BG 1 does not, and I am having the exact same issue with BG 2. If anyone has any ideas or solutions please let me know!

Comments

• Harald_HardradaHarald_Hardrada Member Posts: 6
    Hi Sylvus,

I went into my windows command prompt and disabled DEP there - no result. Is there something I need to do specifically on the Baldur.exe file to disable DEP? Also here is a copy of my crash file if anyone is interested.
    edited November 2013
    Hi Sylvus,

Windows 7 won't let me edit DEP that way, but when I did turn it off in the command prompt I set it to "always off" so I am guessing that should have covered it. When I try to access the DEP page in "computer" it says I must be an administrator (I am) and I have to use the program bcdedit.exe. In any case I am thinking turning it off completely would have worked...

My error message reads as follows: "There was an error. A crash report was saved to: C:\Users\Ryan\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\crash\dump.1.2.000.0031.dmp". It is always the same error with some variation of different numbers at the end. The error is the same for BG 2 as well.

I checked to see if I could find the OpenAL32.dll file and it is on my system under Windows\system32 - modified on November 17th when I reinstalled it to be sure. Is it possible it did not install correctly or the file is not being read?
    To disable DEP I did the following:

"Open an elevated command prompt by clicking the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories and right-click Command Prompt, then ‘Run as Administrator’. Type bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff (note the four spaces) and press Enter."
    Hi Sylvus,

I checked my color depth and it's at 32 bits. I sent Dee an email on Sunday and I haven't heard back yet, but I will wait awhile before I bug the help desk again. It's almost like they just released another game or something! :)

In any case, thanks for your help! I appreciate the troubleshooting advice.

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I believe I just sent you a message a few minutes ago; check your inbox. :)
    Got it. Thanks!