Skip to content

Jester Pickpocket Went Down Permanently?

When I imported my human jester, I had 19 Dex and a pickpocket score of 100.

At level 11 it increased to 105. I assume this is normal.

I loaded my game where I recently hit level 12 after rescuing Haer'Dalis, and I noticed my pickpocket was 90. This might not sound very important, but I have been using pickpocket constantly and I was looking forward to further increases making it easier to rob shops. A 20 point loss is very disheartening to me at this stage of gameplay (I can only assume it was supposed to increase to 110 rather than suddenly drop to 90).

Can anyone offer insight on this? If this isn't going to be fixed soon, are game editors easy to use and functional with BG2:EE? Because I really feel strongly about getting my pickpocket score back.

Comments

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @LordRumfish, I don't suppose you could upload your affected save game (either attach it here, or upload using a file host and then send me the link via PM)?
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    It says the upload file type is not allowed here on the forum. No, I'm not wearing or using items that affect Dex, are there any enemies that drain Dex? I know I've fought some that drained Str.

@Troodon80 What's a good file host that isn't going to flood me with spam and viruses?
    I didn't have any thiefy items adding Pickpocket.

Ok, zip eh? Let's see...

Here we are, that should be the game. It should have Veraka at level 12 with 90 Pickpocket.
    OK, so I figured out how to use EE Keeper and when I went in to my most recent game, her Pickpocket base score was 80 (I'm guessing the extra +10 comes from Dex bonus). I set it to 100 and her Pickpocket shows in-game as 110. Hopefully that fixes it, but I would like to know why it happened in the first place.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited November 2013
    According the tables in the game files (SKILLBRD.2DA), having a base pickpocket value at level 12 is actually correct. From there you get +15 from 19 DEX, and I believe humans have a base pickpocket value of 15, so there's your 110 pickpocket value.

I just loaded up your save. It's the Melodic Chain you're wearing. I guess it gives the same penalties as generic elven chain (-20 to pickpockets, as well as penalties to several other thief skills), but the penalties didn't make it into the item description.
    JuliusBorisovTroodon80
    edited November 2013
    Aha!

Now this all makes sense. I know armor is supposed to give bonuses/penalties in 2nd edition but the only armor I was aware of (in Baldur's Gate games) that had modifiers was Hide.

Thank you kindly, I'll just have to keep taking my armor off to use Pickpocket then. Time to go back to the unedited game. Whew, not a bug after all. Although... please add skill mod descriptions to armor! This confused me a lot.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110

Although... please add skill mod descriptions to armor! This confused me a lot.

@Jalily. :)
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Added.