Skip to content

Is BG2:EE Accessible to New Players?

Comments

• MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    edited November 2013
    You're given advice on how to beat the mage you're having difficulty with, and yet you complain about that too.

You seem completely unwilling to want to figure out how to beat them then, so what is the purpose of your posts or this thread then?

Do you need an ingame tooltip that hovers over every mage and reads 'you should probably cast spell thrust / spell strike at this before chromatic orb'?

Or do you want to accept that you should be casting a defense stripping spell before your chromatic orb and go ahead and try it out and be absolutely amazed when it actually works?

I wonder if you've ever even memorised spell thrust, secret word or breach on any of your casters at lower levels. If you havnt then you absolutely should, they are the exact three spells that seem to be missing from your spellbook for dealing with enemy mages.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Oh wow check out these pro tips, guys.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    edited November 2013
    Mungri said:

You're given advice on how to beat the mage you're having difficulty with, and yet you complain about that too.

You seem completely unwilling to want to figure out how to beat them then, so what is the purpose of your posts or this thread then?

Do you need an ingame tooltip that hovers over every mage and reads 'you should probably cast spell thrust / spell strike at this before chromatic orb'?

Or do you want to accept that you should be casting a defense stripping spell before your chromatic orb and go ahead and try it out and be absolutely amazed when it actually works?

The suggested mechanic would inform players why their tactic didn't work: eg "Chromatic Orb blocked by Spell Deflection." This was made patently obvious in the post, there is no hypothetical mage that we "need help with."

I know this is the internet and you don't actually *have* to be decent to people, but there's no reason to continue your abuse in this thread. You've already conveyed your point.

We both know what you're doing - please cut it out.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Mungri
    You've already been warned once for your behavior in this thread; I don't wish to have to tell you again. If you can't be respectful or civil, then perhaps you should find another thread.

Incidentally, the purpose of this thread has never been to ask for help in @Purudaya's game; they seem to understand the rules pretty well. This thread is about brainstorming ways that the game could be made more accessible to new players without making it easier (which is to say, offering better resources in game to provide information necessary to succeed, rather than simply offering cheat codes).
    Dee said:

@Mungri
    You've already been warned once for your behavior in this thread; I don't wish to have to tell you again. If you can't be respectful or civil, then perhaps you should find another thread.

Incidentally, the purpose of this thread has never been to ask for help in @Purudaya's game; they seem to understand the rules pretty well. This thread is about brainstorming ways that the game could be made more accessible to new players without making it easier (which is to say, offering better resources in game to provide information necessary to succeed, rather than simply offering cheat codes).

Maybe if I had worded it that well it wouldn't have been so hard for some people to understand. Thanks
    edited November 2013
    Why should the developers waste so much time and effort implementing such pointless features? Don't you think they should be spending that time fixing the bugs in the game first?

Almost everything you've proposed in the OP about making such in game changes would be wasteful to implement, and tbh if the game always told you what defenses the enemies have, it would entirely ruin the strategic importance of having to deal with those defenses without being spoon fed every bit of info.

Such proposed changes would be dumbing the game down and ruining it for people that enjoy the current battle mechanics in the game.

The posts I've made since that warning are respectful and civil, I'm discussing why such changes don't appeal to me and why I wouldn't want them implemented.
  • AkihikoAkihiko Member Posts: 213
    To get back on topic, I really like what @OcculusX suggested. As someone who was a walking, talking tutorial on the DnD system for my friends that had never played any DnD games (crpg or pnp) way back when BG first came out, I think tutorial videos like he described would be perfect for people completely unfamiliar with BG and DnD.
    edited November 2013
    Akihiko said:

To get back on topic, I really like what @OcculusX suggested. As someone who was a walking, talking tutorial on the DnD system for my friends that had never played any DnD games (crpg or pnp) way back when BG first came out, I think tutorial videos like he described would be perfect for people completely unfamiliar with BG and DnD.

Agreed. The in-game info is a fun idea, but even a handful of voiced videos (similar to the ones already in the game, which were a great step) would help to illustrate some key scenarios. A battle that tips the player on identifying spell protections and gives a list of spells to bring them down (without recommending one specifically) is basically what the manual already does, but in a more accessible format.
    edited November 2013
    Tutorial videos outside of the game are fine and already exist in their hundreds on youtube, but then what's with the whole 'this isn't about people asking for help' replies if they are asking for tutorial videos?

And isn't this something that can easily be handled by the community and not by the developers?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I think it's safe to assume that if we do something like some of the suggestions in this thread, it will either be after BGII:EE is bug-free and stable, or it will be handled by people who aren't needed for bug-fixing. So if it's a question of priority, I wouldn't worry so much about it.
  • marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
    edited November 2013
    Here's the deal (and sorry if some of this has already been said)... if you're new to Baldur's Gate and 2nd Edition D&D this game is going to be challenging at first. Period.

* Starting with BGEE first is highly advised.
    * Playing the tutorials is highly advised.
    * Coming to these message boards to ask dozens, nay, hundreds of questions is highly advised, and this community will be more than happy to answer.

The reward of soldiering through that learning curve is well worth it. And you will look forward to your second runthrough all the more having gained such a vast amount of knowledge during your first!
    edited November 2013
    marceror said:

Here's the deal (and sorry if some of this has already been said)... if you're new to Baldur's Gate and 2nd Edition D&D this game is going to be challenging at first. Period.

* Starting with BGEE first is highly advised.
    * Playing the tutorials is highly advised.
    * Coming to these message boards to ask dozens, nay, hundreds of questions is highly advised, and this community will be more than happy to answer.

The reward of soldiering through that learning curve is well worth it.

And I agree with that - I'm not talking about holding players' hands, I'm talking about providing them with necessary game information that they might not seek out by downloading manuals, visiting forums, etc. The vast majority of gamers (casual and hardcore) only play a game once, so asking that they learn the game via multiple playthroughs (as has been suggested elsewhere in this thread) doesn't really provide any solutions.

We're proposing providing information about the game - as presented in the manuals - within the game itself. Whether that be via more in-depth videos, tips (which were included in the original but NOT in BG2:EE), or other means, it wouldn't be anything to unbalance the game or make it "easier." This is just about conveying game information to new players who probably aren't as involved as you or I.

Thanks for the post, though :)
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited November 2013
    @marceror

Yea that's pretty much exactly what I did.

I think the point of this thread is to offer suggestions to provide alternative options for gamers who maybe aren't as patient/proactive as me, but who would still take great enjoyment from the game if they were given a better chance to learn about it as they played.
    Remember too that every suggested feature would/should be completely optional - new players who need the help could enable/view them, veteran players could ignore them. nbd
  • marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
    And the other part to this is there are plenty of folks who simply aren't going to be up for that level of committment.
  • OcculusXOcculusX Member Posts: 99
    edited November 2013
    Non-sequitur: If you haven't tried Warsteiner Dunkel... it's really tasty! I just bought some tonight... it's fantastic!

Back on topic: To be honest... I don't really remember all of the details behind how arrows and bows damage are computed (BGII does it for me, and I turn on all statistics to see what happens; ++ these days I confuse second edition ranged handling rules with Angband rules; it's probably nethack's fault)... if I care too much (because I become obsessive over my OP gaming habits) I'll default to RTFM. Issues like... how do you take out a dragon? How do you face a well-equipped drow party? How do you take out an Adamantite Golem? How do you debuff a powerful wizard?

Usually I "spoil" myself to the gills to find new ways to do things. Memorizing and trying new spells is a good way to learn what you're doing. Another interesting thing to do is to take 2 wizards in your own party like (Neera, Edwin) and fill one of them completely with debuff spells (note: not feeblemind!), and the other completely with buff spells and just spend 30 minutes to an hour throwing stuff at each other, paying close attention to what spell was cast, and what it stripped.

Once you start getting into these kinds of issues... you can do all sorts of cool stuff. Theorizing about the behaviors of spell triggers, contingencies and testing them on tough to pop critters. Oh that's the good stuff.
    They only play a game once because they've never played a game that was good enough to make them want to play again.

The way BG2 already is, you will want to play it over and over and over again, as people have been doing for the last 14 or so years.

If everything is over explained, given away or spoiled on the first play through, then where is the replay value? The first time you get to the De Arnise Stronghold, you actually aren't meant to know until the very last minute that you will be facing trolls that need to be killed with acid or fire. You are plunged in deep end and have to adapt on the spot. This very type of on edge gameplay is crucial to the enjoyment of a first play though of BG2, if they remove that and tell you in advance 'soon there will be trolls, load up on acid or fire damage now' then the entire suspense and surprise is ruined.

Also this applies to the secret Golem room there. You are ABSOLUTELY NOT supposed to know ahead of time that there are golems there, or how to kill them to get their loot / EXP. Its meant to surprise you and catch you flat footed until you either reload, or leave the area to find better gear, or even better, learn how it is so you are better suited to handle it on your next play through.

By this very nature, a creature compendium would be a massive spolier if you can check ahead of time everything you need to beat every enemy. You are meant to die. You are meant to lose. You are meant to have to reload the game again and again. This game was always meant to be difficult and challenging on its first time played, and giving advice on how to circumvent that difficulty absolutely is spoiling the game.

One thing new players could try to do is simply to play the game and not look up tutorials, advice or help on how to play. 14 years ago when this game first came out and we didn't have access to the internet, that's exactly what everyone had to do, figure the game out for themselves.
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    Nobody said to tell them the golems or trolls were there ahead of time, you ridiculous caricature. What would be helpful would be clarification as to why their attacks don't work on/don't kill them, instead of having to look it up on the internet, which is not exactly some kind of hardcorz alternative. And both the internet and strategy guides existed 14 years ago.

People who want that kind of difficulty and to die repeatedly can just turn off the tutorial elements, the same way veteran players do. I realise that having more people enjoy the game is anathema to you, but you've made that point loud and clear and louder and clearer and I think everyone gets that you hate any and all help for new players.
    edited November 2013
    Mungri said:

They only play a game once because they've never played a game that was good enough to make them want to play again.

The way BG2 already is, you will want to play it over and over and over again, as people have been doing for the last 14 or so years.

If everything is over explained, given away or spoiled on the first play through, then where is the replay value? The first time you get to the De Arnise Stronghold, you actually aren't meant to know until the very last minute that you will be facing trolls that need to be killed with acid or fire. You are plunged in deep end and have to adapt on the spot. This very type of on edge gameplay is crucial to the enjoyment of a first play though of BG2, if they remove that and tell you in advance 'soon there will be trolls, load up on acid or fire damage now' then the entire suspense and surprise is ruined.

Also this applies to the secret Golem room there. You are ABSOLUTELY NOT supposed to know ahead of time that there are golems there, or how to kill them to get their loot / EXP. Its meant to surprise you and catch you flat footed until you either reload, or leave the area to find better gear, or even better, learn how it is so you are better suited to handle it on your next play through.

By this very nature, a creature compendium would be a massive spolier if you can check ahead of time everything you need to beat every enemy. You are meant to die. You are meant to lose. You are meant to have to reload the game again and again. This game was always meant to be difficult and challenging on its first time played, and giving advice on how to circumvent that difficulty absolutely is spoiling the game.

One thing new players could try to do is simply to play the game and not look up tutorials, advice or help on how to play. 14 years ago when this game first came out and we didn't have access to the internet, that's exactly what everyone had to do, figure the game out for themselves.

14 years ago we didn't have mobile devices with hundreds of highly-accessible games readily available. Times change - players are used to being able to learn how to play a game *within* the game and don't expect to have to do online research just to be able to play effectively (which is what you have been advocating).

Your hypothetical is another straw man - no one has proposed any mechanics that would advise players how to beat specific encounters or tip them off on creatures in the next room. Even the bestiary idea was followed by a suggestion that it only be populated *after* you have already encountered specific creatures. Stop making things up.

You have already made your case; it's not helpful to try and turn every single post into an argument.
    Also regarding what someone said that they had no idea how to kill the golems in Irenicus Dungeon, and this being the reason behind wanting a creature compendium, firstly you are not in that dungeon to kill golems, your only purpose at that point is to escape.

The purpose of the golems is to kill you if you enter the optional secret room and trigger the alarm, they are not meant to be an easy fight and they are an extreme encounter far above your current level and gear. If you find yourself beating on them unable to cause any damage until they have killed you, then they have done exactly what they were designed to do, and you can always reload and stay the hell out of that room.

If somehow, by sheer luck, or realizing and adapting on the spot and thinking 'OMFG MY WEAPON DOESNT WORK AND THEY ARE DESTROYING ME .... CHANGE WEAPON, PLEASE WORK NOW' ... And you manage to kill them and escape a narrow death, you are handsomely rewarded with great EXP. The EXP those golems give is, at least on a first play through with no prior knowledge, supposed to be incredibly difficult.

Again, knowing beforehand how to kill those golems absolutely is a spoiler and a cheat. What you can even do in future playthroughs is

kill them one at a time while they are dormant and before you activate the alarm

Stuff like this is why this game has so much replay value, you learn more by playing it without prior knowledge, and feel far more rewarded and motivated to play it again to master the game.

Mungri said:

Also regarding what someone said that they had no idea how to kill the golems in Irenicus Dungeon, and this being the reason behind wanting a creature compendium, firstly you are not in that dungeon to kill golems, your only purpose at that point is to escape.

The purpose of the golems is to kill you if you enter the optional secret room and trigger the alarm, they are not meant to be an easy fight and they are an extreme encounter far above your current level and gear. If you find yourself beating on them unable to cause any damage until they have killed you, then they have done exactly what they were designed to do, and you can always reload and stay the hell out of that room.

If somehow, by sheer luck, or realizing and adapting on the spot and thinking 'OMFG MY WEAPON DOESNT WORK AND THEY ARE DESTROYING ME .... CHANGE WEAPON, PLEASE WORK NOW' ... And you manage to kill them and escape a narrow death, you are handsomely rewarded with great EXP. The EXP those golems give is, at least on a first play through with no prior knowledge, supposed to be incredibly difficult.

Again, knowing beforehand how to kill those golems absolutely is a spoiler and a cheat. What you can even do in future playthroughs is

kill them one at a time while they are dormant and before you activate the alarm

Stuff like this is why this game has so much replay value, you learn more by playing it without prior knowledge, and feel far more rewarded and motivated to play it again to master the game.

Nobody has suggested telling players how to beat the frigging golems, as was already addressed in my previous post. Stop it.

Another strange thing about AI:

The monsters don't know what to do with doors. The overgrown frog-lizards in Jurassic park could figure out what to do with them... but BGII mindflayers and high level mages can be completely shutdown by an intelligently applied door.
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    Not only did nobody say you should have a compendium that tells you how to beat every monster before you encounter it, it was just reiterated to you in the post DIRECTLY BEFORE YOURS that this was the case. If you want people to respect your opinion, you might want to try being respectful enough to actually read and comprehend the posts you're responding to.

Please, go replay BG again, maybe blindfolded or something, and leave the thread in peace.
    OcculusX said:

Back on topic: To be honest... I don't really remember all of the details behind how arrows and bows damage are computed (BGII does it for me, and I turn on all statistics to see what happens; ++ these days I confuse second edition ranged handling rules with Angband rules; it's probably nethack's fault)... if I care too much (because I become obsessive over my OP gaming habits) I'll default to RTFM. Issues like... how do you take out a dragon? How do you face a well-equipped drow party? How do you take out an Adamantite Golem? How do you debuff a powerful wizard?

Awesome, a fellow Nethack/Angband player! Old roguelikes are the worst in this respect... they really do tell you nothing and you have to figure out everything for yourself or spoil yourself extensively. They were enjoyable in their own way but modern roguelike design is drifting away from this and for good reason.

BG is pretty good in this respect because once the rules are made clear you can figure out for yourself how to win without resorting to brute force trial and error. But in some cases the game is just like "nope, doesn't work, keep trying" without giving you any hints as to what might be the problem. An experienced or spoiled player either knows the answer already or can go look it up but a new player will think "well, this is stupid. I guess I'll keep reloading until I get lucky." Providing feedback means a player can identify the problem and come up with their own solution without resorting to guessing, cheese or going outside of the game.
    To be honest, it would be "nice" to have the the spells debuffed from enemy wizards listed on the menu when you cast the debuff. If the menu is written in lua, then it should be pretty easy to implement, I should think...
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited November 2013
    Mungri said:

You are clearly not bothering to read other people's points properly. I was the one who brought up golems, but I didn't say anything about Irenicus' dungeon.

I actually recorded my first encounter with a Clay Golem... and I pretty much did what you said.

But still I give thanks for teaching me how I should be enjoying the game. Next time I play BG 2, I'm gonna undergo electro-shock therapy to erase my memory, so I won't remember about that Golem and be surprised all over again. If I got trapped in the sphere with a low level party and no magical blunt weapons, and be forced to reload, I will remember not to be frustrated and instead be happy that I am enjoying the game in the way it was intended.
    edited November 2013
    Both my posts were made on my end directly one after the other with no others in between. The way this forum works you cannot see new posts made in a thread until after you finish posting and click refresh, so stop assuming that I was aware of your replies in between mine.

Telling people exactly what weapon they need to kill certain enemies ahead of encountering them absolutely is spoiling the game, this is exactly what you have asked. The same as telling people what defensive spells an enemy mage has cast. Nowhere did you initially state that such ideas were proposed as optional and toggleable ideas, it seems like you want to cram the game full of spoilers at every turn for every encounter because a vocal minority of new age gamers want everything to be made easy.

And if you actually don't want to die or reload in this game then seriously stop playing it. I cant understand how anyone expects to beat BG2 easily on a first play through without losing in a single battle.

Regarding the spoilers, this section of the forum comes with a spoiler warning. I repeat that you should not be reading forums like these or looking up anything to do with the game until you have played through it at least once because there will be spoilers everywhere.
    @Mungri You're clearly doing more typing than reading or thinking so unless you're just here for the finger exercise I suggest you leave the thread.
    edited November 2013
    I would absolutely hate for so many of these proposed ideas to be put into and completely ruin BG2EE. I am thinking clearly enough.

When that review was first posted, no one here or on the comments section of the review liked it. Now suddenly you all want to start changing the game just because one random person on the internet wrote a review which essentially read 'I found this game too hard, had no idea what to do, never played the first part nor read the manual, therefore 2/5'. Now you think the game should be changed to cater to such players. I oppose that.

Additionally, if such a player is playing this game, I will assume that they have paid for it. Catering to and changing the game for them isn't going to make the developers more income because the game has already been sold in the first place. New players will want to play this game due to word of mouth alone, not because they are aware that the game is full of tutorials and walkthroughs while they are playing.

Basically it makes no sense to add such things to this game from a financial perspective. People will buy it regardless and complain if they find it too hard. This happens with every single game out there, and every single game is totally ruined when the developers listen to such complaints.
    edited November 2013
    Mungri said:

Both my posts were made on my end directly one after the other with no others in between. The way this forum works you cannot see new posts made in a thread until after you finish posting and click refresh, so stop assuming that I was aware of your replies in between mine.

Telling people exactly what weapon they need to kill certain enemies ahead of encountering them absolutely is spoiling the game, this is exactly what you have asked. The same as telling people what defensive spells an enemy mage has cast. Nowhere did you initially state that such ideas were proposed as optional and toggleable ideas, it seems like you want to cram the game full of spoilers at every turn for every encounter because a vocal minority of new age gamers want everything to be made easy.

And if you actually don't want to die or reload in this game then seriously stop playing it. I cant understand how anyone expects to beat BG2 easily on a first play through without losing in a single battle.

Regarding the spoilers, this section of the forum comes with a spoiler warning. I repeat that you should not be reading forums like these or looking up anything to do with the game until you have played through it at least once because there will be spoilers everywhere.

The game ALREADY tells players what defensive spells enemy mages cast in most cases, just check the text log. Nobody wants to give players prior knowledge of how to beat fights, nobody is suggesting spoilers or making the game easier. Most suggestions are simply to implement information already found in the manuals into the game itself, whether by video or tip. THAT'S IT.

We have said again and again that any features we are suggesting would be optional, yet you continue to take an oppositional/defiant approach with each and every post. I'm not an idiot, and as I said before - we both know what you're doing. Please stop trying to intentionally derail/impede this thread.