Skip to content

iPad really worth it?

happslapphappslapp Member Posts: 53
Just wondering the general view on the iPad version. i cant see how this game will be as efficient with out a spacebar and a mouse to help micromanage everybody and everything. could just be me but i feel the iPad will be a slower experience. Thoughts?

Comments

• SolyarisSolyaris Member Posts: 24
    Doesn't really matter, it's not like this is Bayonetta and you need split second spacebar reflexes to manage all those tough, tough encounters in BG. I'm getting it on PC, but depending on how the iOS version turns out, I might grab that, too. Baldur's Gate on the crapper, Baldur's Gate on the bus, it can be a beautiful thing.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    If you also have the option for PC/Laptop, I'd go for that. But I'm not one of those people who's married to his iPad (mostly due to lack of iPad). If you spend hours in trains or in the back of a car, it could be worth it.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I am actually waiting to see how the interface will work on an Ipad. If it works well, I will buy.

@happslapp You really should add the android version in this thread as well as they're both based on a touch interface.
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    iPads are a nice luxury to have...especially if you are out and about and face wait times, like at restaurants, doctors offices, trains, planes buses and etc. Personally I use mine as an expensive replacement for my Kindle Fire which I would use instead if it had the same screen size.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Personally I wouldn't settle for anything but a PC, excepting situations where I just didn't have access to one for an extended period of time. Also, when I do play I prefer to have an environment that allows me to focus fully on the game to maximize the immersion, so I'm not the kind of person to spend 15 minutes on the bus with it using subpar interface and controls.

Having said that, it's of course good that options exist so as many people as possible can play it how and when they want.
  • happslapphappslapp Member Posts: 53
    @mlnevese your right i was really asking touchscreen vs. computer. However, while i dont have a mac, i consider myself an apple fan and kinda forgot about the android. Oops.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Shin I agree diversity is great for the game and I'm all for as many versions as it's commercially sound to release.

It's just my personal choice to wait and see how the new touch interface will work before I'll buy it :)

Actually although I own a Mac I bought the Windows version just because I'm sure it'll be better supported by the mod community,
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    i dont own an ipad, but to answer a question logically (imho):

It SHOULd be just as effective, because instead of hitting a spacebar, you are tapping the clock.
    Your fingers are the mouse, so you simply poke and strike across the screen to do whatever a mouse can do.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    edited August 2012
    The BG interface is already suited to iPad integration. The only thing that MAY be a problem is the quick pausing from intense battles...hopefully auto-pausing can be set in advanced preferences. When playing on the ipad, it might actually be easier to auto-pause at the end of every round, or even at the end of every character action. It will change the pace of the game, but perhaps in a good way. It will make the turn-by-turn actions more meaningful, or at least it should, especially if the die rolls are displayed.

I'm also curious to see how the right-click, or command-click, secondary action is implemented on the ipad.

Regardless, I'm getting the iPad (retina) version first so I'll be the guinea pig...err hamster.
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    You could do all the pausing and stuff by clicking on graphic icons on the interface window frame...mouse clicks would be replaced by finger touches...no muss no fuss.
  • DreamDream Member Posts: 52
    Solyaris said:

Doesn't really matter, it's not like this is Bayonetta and you need split second spacebar reflexes to manage all those tough, tough encounters in BG. I'm getting it on PC, but depending on how the iOS version turns out, I might grab that, too. Baldur's Gate on the crapper, Baldur's Gate on the bus, it can be a beautiful thing.

Bayonetta as a companion DLC. I'd buy 5.

• Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Exploring the Baldur's Gate sewers while on the crapper...odd experience?
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Dream said:

Solyaris said:

Bayonetta as a companion DLC. I'd buy 5.

I was just about to say this!

Also, romance option in BG2. Do want.