Skip to content

New NPC's > Old NPC's? Here's my all-star NPC list

First, *spoiler alert*. Next, *wall of text alert*.

I think you could make the argument that the new NPC's are better characters than the majority of old ones. Props to Overhaul/Beamdog for making these NPC's come to life. I decided to make an all-star NPC team to see who makes the cut. Here's how I break it down, for those that who are interested in my rationale:

First, who are we getting rid of right off the bat? Every NPC that only appears in BG1. They really just can't even compete with the depth of the BG2 characters, so - sorry Tiax, et al (cameos catch them a couple of bonus points, but it's not enough).

In a similar vein, Sarevok is a really cool NPC... he's one of the best fighters in the game. It's cool that he's a former villain. His personal quest to change his alignment? Sweet. Huge points for being an integral character throughout the entire series. What holds him back? You only get him for the last 10% of the game. He just misses the cusp.

So who is a lock? Imoen, for one: one of the most useful/strong NPC's, totally key to the entire storyline, interesting banter/personality, she's the whole package. Next, Edwin. Easily involved in some of the funniest dialogue/quests, and also easily one of the best NPC casters. Next up, Aerie, Viconia, and Minsc. The two best romances, very useful NPC's, and they have great voice acting, personality, and dialogue. Minsc is iconic - I mean, he's still quoted a decade later in mass effect games - he's the reason why you can get a space hamster. You can't have an all-npc list without him.

Who is middle of the pack? Korgan/Keldorn/Mazzy/Haer'Daelis/Anomen/Valygar/Yoshimo. What do they all have in common? Solid utility on all of the characters, solid personal quests, solid acting, but nothing that makes them stand out. Also, they fail to attain any bonus points for showing up in BG1, and none of them (with the exception of Yoshimo, somewhat) are critical to the story.

So who is DEFINITELY out?

Jan- Annoying, and generally outclassed by a lot of the other NPC's in combat. His personality wears on you, and his personal quest is EXTREMELY lame.

Cernd - Terrible in combat, and that's enough to sink him. Boring on top of it all.

Nalia, Anomen, and Jaheira - The most obnoxious trio of personalities in the game. Anomen is the best of the three if you take his banter tongue-in-cheek. Still, who voluntarily keeps these NPC's on their squad?

And what about the new NPC's?

Arguably they all make the cut.*

*Withholding judgment on Hexxat until I try her.

Rasaad, Dorn, and Neera appear in all 3 titles, and they are very well voice-acted and very well-developed characters. A lot of time is devoted to making their personal quests special, and it pays off. Dorn is an absolute beast throughout, and Neera is a lot of fun as the only wild mage NPC. Rasaad is weak early, but he makes up for it by being a beast later on and having what is likely the best voice acting in the game. I'm throwing them on the all-star squad.

Final list:
-Imoen
-Edwin
-Aerie
-Viconia
-Minsc
-Neera
-Dorn
-Rasaad

Comments

• AkihikoAkihiko Member Posts: 213
    Take my like, if for no other reason than your opinion of Jaheira's personality. :)
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    I always thought Jaheira was quite popular, but going by polls it seems I overestimated that a bit (the opposite of Aerie, whose popularity tends to be greatly underestimated).
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    @Coutelier Jaheira is very popular.
    Personally I think her romance is the best in the game. Interesting and difficult. Not like Aerie's "Go sex. Ok. Wow! A baby. End."
    DarkDogg said:

@Coutelier Jaheira is very popular.
    Personally I think her romance is the best in the game. Interesting and difficult. Not like Aerie's "Go sex. Ok. Wow! A baby. End."

There's obviously a bit more to it than that; when you really look through all Aerie's banters it's amazing what a complex character really comes out... although, as I have said, I do feel the ToB part of her romance is a bit... ill conceived.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2013
    Also Imoen barely says anything to the old NPC's. At least not in the SoA portion of the game. Basically 70% of her interactions with either you or other party members is in ToB.
  • bersbachbersbach Member Posts: 14
    Coutelier said:

I do feel the ToB part of [Aerie's] romance is a bit... ill conceived.

FLAWLESS VICTORY.

On topic, Keldorn was always a personal favorite of mine, but I'm one of the weirdos who likes Jahiera and detests Aerie.

I'm using my first playthrough of BGIIEE to give a fair shake to some of the NPCs that I never really used back in the day: Mazzy, Haer'daelis, Valygar, Edwin (I know, but I always play goody-goody!), and of course the new NPCs.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    I would say any character with a romance is a top tier NPC simply because love em or hate em, they get the most character development.

Imoen too, because she's a main character and BG2 is almost as much about her as it is about charname.

Other than that the NPCs are mostly the same and its up to whose personality you like most and who works best in your party Although I have to question your sanity for liking Minsc of all people better than Jan. And Jaheira is awesome, if for nothing other than the fact that you get to kill Harpers.
  • ItstucktwiceItstucktwice Member Posts: 182
    My opinion on Minsc...

Iconic? Sure.
    Funny? Only on the first playthrough after not having played the game for years.

I don't really understand all of the love Minsc gets. I can only stand him for one playthrough(usually not even a full playthrough) and only after I have taken a long break from the game and forgotten how annoying he is to me.

I guess a lot of people like him because he is memorable, and I admit that as a kid he was one of my favorite characters, but I honestly find him to be more grating than 90% of the NPCs in the game.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    edited November 2013
    @mforww I was just about to hit agree until I saw your opinion of Jaheira ;)

Besides having the most complex romance, she's also the best-developed NPC in the entire game imho. I am totally with you on the new NPCs, though - they are very well written and are integrated almost seemlessly with the original game. There have been several banters where I've caught myself thinking, "If I didn't know this was EE content, I wouldn't know this was EE content." Er, you know what I mean.

Well-articulated post, OP :)
    Post edited by Purudaya on
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    Imoen is interesting and Jan is annoying?

lolk bro.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816

Purudaya said:

There have been several banters where I've caught myself thinking, "If I didn't know this was EE content, I wouldn't know this was EE content."

This is pretty much the highest compliment you can send in my general direction.
    You deserve it. I think a lot of people have been really, really impressed :)
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

Imoen is interesting and Jan is annoying?

lolk bro.

@Luigirules is a professional lurker. He's always been here, only occasionally stopping to make witty posts. And he makes them count.
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    All wrong!

All star list is:
    Aerie
    Keldorn
    Korgan
    Jan
    Minsc
    Viconia
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    Jan is amazing, Anomen is my favorite cleric and is also amazing, Keldorn doesn't stand out? He can wield Carsomyr for christ sake

Haer'Dalis is probably my overall favorite. Ah well, I respect your difference in opinion. But Imoen sucks and is more annoying than Neera. I don't get peoples attraction to her lol
  • marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
    mforww said:

First, *spoiler alert*. Next, *wall of text alert*.

I think you could make the argument that the new NPC's are better characters than the majority of old ones. Props to Overhaul/Beamdog for making these NPC's come to life. I decided to make an all-star NPC team to see who makes the cut. Here's how I break it down, for those that who are interested in my rationale:

First, who are we getting rid of right off the bat? Every NPC that only appears in BG1. They really just can't even compete with the depth of the BG2 characters, so - sorry Tiax, et al (cameos catch them a couple of bonus points, but it's not enough).

In a similar vein, Sarevok is a really cool NPC... he's one of the best fighters in the game. It's cool that he's a former villain. His personal quest to change his alignment? Sweet. Huge points for being an integral character throughout the entire series. What holds him back? You only get him for the last 10% of the game. He just misses the cusp.

So who is a lock? Imoen, for one: one of the most useful/strong NPC's, totally key to the entire storyline, interesting banter/personality, she's the whole package. Next, Edwin. Easily involved in some of the funniest dialogue/quests, and also easily one of the best NPC casters. Next up, Aerie, Viconia, and Minsc. The two best romances, very useful NPC's, and they have great voice acting, personality, and dialogue. Minsc is iconic - I mean, he's still quoted a decade later in mass effect games - he's the reason why you can get a space hamster. You can't have an all-npc list without him.

Who is middle of the pack? Korgan/Keldorn/Mazzy/Haer'Daelis/Anomen/Valygar/Yoshimo. What do they all have in common? Solid utility on all of the characters, solid personal quests, solid acting, but nothing that makes them stand out. Also, they fail to attain any bonus points for showing up in BG1, and none of them (with the exception of Yoshimo, somewhat) are critical to the story.

So who is DEFINITELY out?

Jan- Annoying, and generally outclassed by a lot of the other NPC's in combat. His personality wears on you, and his personal quest is EXTREMELY lame.

Cernd - Terrible in combat, and that's enough to sink him. Boring on top of it all.

Nalia, Anomen, and Jaheira - The most obnoxious trio of personalities in the game. Anomen is the best of the three if you take his banter tongue-in-cheek. Still, who voluntarily keeps these NPC's on their squad?

And what about the new NPC's?

Arguably they all make the cut.*

*Withholding judgment on Hexxat until I try her.

Rasaad, Dorn, and Neera appear in all 3 titles, and they are very well voice-acted and very well-developed characters. A lot of time is devoted to making their personal quests special, and it pays off. Dorn is an absolute beast throughout, and Neera is a lot of fun as the only wild mage NPC. Rasaad is weak early, but he makes up for it by being a beast later on and having what is likely the best voice acting in the game. I'm throwing them on the all-star squad.

Final list:
    -Imoen
    -Edwin
    -Aerie
    -Viconia
    -Minsc
    -Neera
    -Dorn
    -Rasaad

Why do you list Anomen as middle of the pack, but definitely out?
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470

. Ah well, I respect your difference in opinion. But Imoen sucks and is more annoying than Neera. I don't get peoples attraction to her lol

It's okay bro, I don't understand why you find her annoying.

@Coutelier
    I also prefer Jaheria over Aerie. Most playthroughs I take both of them into my party and Jaheria always seems to win me over when it comes to the romance. It like Aerie I get the fact that your wings been cut off, but can I just get a little empathy this way because I been stuck in a cage getting torture by a mad man and only been recently set free Geez.
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    Also, in response to OP, I think Nalia's great and the only reason I struggle to find a spot for her in my good party is with Neera being my love interest, wanting to continue Rasaad's storyline, Mazzy being too awesome not to use, and Aerie being needed for cleric duty, it's difficult to work Nalia in because her thieving skills are just too substandard and can't be improved. So I'd very much volunteer to keep her in my party, especially if she could scrape up another couple of levels of thief.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    mforww said:

I do. In fact, those 3 are among my most commonly used NPCs in BG2.

I also think their personalities/backgrounds are fairly interesting, contrary to what most other people will probably say.
    Consider: (**major spoilers!**)
    -Nalia, the rich girl who had it all, who could've easily lived a sheltered, pampered life in her castle, but instead risks her life battling evil in the slums and sewers of the city. Yes, she is annoying and obnoxious, but I find that there's something to be admired about her courage and independent-mindedness. Plus she's associated with a very memorable quest that leads to one of the best weapons in the game, and a possible stronghold for your character (depending on his or her class).
    -Anomen, probably the biggest jerk in the game, but also hounded by difficult life choices and family issues. His quest/subplot may be the most touching and profound in the game.
    -Jaheira, your dedicated longtime ally who has sacrificed everything on your behalf. You comfort her as she mourns the loss of her husband, you race against time to rescue her from Ployer's curse, and together you become the hunted after she takes your side against her former comrades the Harpers. And all the while she fends off lovestruck men who constantly hit on her!

• cervanntescervanntes Member Posts: 64
    mforww said:

I'm with SharGuidesMyHand on this one. I use Jaheira and Nalia in almost all my runs, although I'll usually only keep Nalia until I rescue Imoen. I'm not quite as fond of Anomen, but he's decent enough. Jaheira I rarely play without. She makes a great backup tank and a great backup healer, and I really don't find her personally any more annoying than most of the others, and a lot less annoying than some.

I'd also be inclined to shift Mazzy up to my final list. I actually find her to be extremely useful, both as an excellent archer and a solid tank, especially with her special abilities. But I'm a bit more fond of adaptable characters than the more specialized ones.
    Personally, I love everyone. It might just be the morphine the doctor's given me, but I think everyone's great and I love all the characters too.

I think when you look at all the NPC's, really understand all of their backstories and understand their quirks, you've got to like them really.

Everyone is great.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Thank you @SharGuidesMyHand for speaking my mind on those three.

Especially Anomen and Jaheira. I feel connected to those two, like I can never bring myself to kick them out, and when a game does that, it's definitely powerful writing.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Anyone else love Keldorn???
    Awesome character in terms of utility:dispel magic, no casting time, twice his level AND Carsomyr
    Also I love his story. It is interesting to have an older character along with you. His voice acting in my opinion is the most underrated in the game and he has some awesome lines ("I shall strike a blow deep into evils heart... there is no more worthy a cause")
    I find it hard not to take him, though I usually give him some time off with his family as I try out other npcs for their quests
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438

mforww said:

I do. In fact, those 3 are among my most commonly used NPCs in BG2.

I also think their personalities/backgrounds are fairly interesting, contrary to what most other people will probably say.
    Consider: (**major spoilers!**)
    -Nalia, the rich girl who had it all, who could've easily lived a sheltered, pampered life in her castle, but instead risks her life battling evil in the slums and sewers of the city. Yes, she is annoying and obnoxious, but I find that there's something to be admired about her courage and independent-mindedness. Plus she's associated with a very memorable quest that leads to one of the best weapons in the game, and a possible stronghold for your character (depending on his or her class).
    -Anomen, probably the biggest jerk in the game, but also hounded by difficult life choices and family issues. His quest/subplot may be the most touching and profound in the game.
    -Jaheira, your dedicated longtime ally who has sacrificed everything on your behalf. You comfort her as she mourns the loss of her husband, you race against time to rescue her from Ployer's curse, and together you become the hunted after she takes your side against her former comrades the Harpers. And all the while she fends off lovestruck men who constantly hit on her!

i liek you
    I voluntarily keep Nalia because I find her to be a Mage with benefits, and her voice actress is my fay-vo-right person in the world, right up there with Yanni. All based on Twitter posts.
    Coutelier said:

Personally, I love everyone. It might just be the morphine the doctor's given me, but I think everyone's great and I love all the characters too.

I think when you look at all the NPC's, really understand all of their backstories and understand their quirks, you've got to like them really.

Everyone is great.

It's not the cider, I love them, too. Aerie, I don't mean all of the terrible jokes I say about you. <3 You big old sweetie, you.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    elminster said:

Also Imoen barely says anything to the old NPC's. At least not in the SoA portion of the game. Basically 70% of her interactions with either you or other party members is in ToB.

It isn't all that bad since she's not in your party for about.... 40-70% of the game ? (Depending how much questing you do before going to SpellHold)
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Aranthys said:

elminster said:

It isn't all that bad since she's not in your party for about.... 40-70% of the game ? (Depending how much questing you do before going to SpellHold)
    Imho the BG1 NPC Project mod made Imoen the number one greatest NPC in the entire trilogy. They made her *feel* like your little sister, even though I already liked her and had great affection for her. That mod is outstanding.