Skip to content

Will you please pass the cheese?

This is a thread to discuss your favorite cheese in the game and some cheesy things in the past that you miss (or are glad to see go). I noticed that it is no longer possible for drink a potion and switch in a scroll, for example. Crowning moment of Overhaul awesome or are you sad that your Paladin can no longer have his pseudodragon familiar?

Comments

• FFGFFG Member Posts: 52
    Robe of Vecna.
    Equipping and unequipping the Staff of the Magi.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    I guess I would consider Azuredge and Mace of Disruption my personal cheese. I've since stopped using them altogether because it's just silly to poof a Lich at level 8 just because of a lucky hit. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if so many of the game's most powerful enemies weren't all undead...
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Killing Firkraag with a huge pile of traps and a couple of cloud kills.

Also Robe of Vecna offers serious cheese. Open door, insta-cloud kill, shut door.
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520

It's not tactics when you use OOC information to know what's hidden in the fog of war, thus casting spells such as Cloudkill, Web and Fireball to destroy hostile creatures one hasn't seen yet.

Well.. not that it's really necessary to get the info from such sources.. one can easily get it with near-cheese spells like "Farsight" or "Wizard Eye".. or even your standard scouting char :)
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    Using Simulcrum/Project Image to summon multiple celestials. Although to be fair, I've never summoned more than 2.

Using Neera's NRD to cast Cloudkill to instantly wipe out sirines. Reload if fail.
  • ZarakinthishZarakinthish Member Posts: 214
    Wow, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Shield of Balduran yet. I know it is cheap, but it tastes so good!
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Mislead is my favorite. Cheesy, but fun to use. Leave the image out of sight and go nuts backstabbing or run in and sunfire. The cheese part is not necessary even, most enemies only pack a few detection spells and they're easily wasted by sending a scout first.
  • I haven't really been a big fan of ammo stacking cheese with Firetooth/Gesen, but since they apparently nerfed the damage on the other bows and crossbows I've been coming around. I'm curious as to whether the new Sling of Everard/Seeking has the same cheese, though.
  • setsunaluvrsetsunaluvr Member Posts: 29
    Cloak of mirroring + death ward + spell immunity abjuration. Total invulnerability to almost every spell worth mentioning.
  • AcridSyphilisAcridSyphilis Member Posts: 129
    Kangaxx with spell immunity: abjuration and melf's minute meteors and sunray
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    Clone stacking with vhailor is ludicrous cheese. Also, using clones to use powerful one-shots, like wish scrolls (pre-ToB). Clone abuse generally, like refilling your spellbook with spell trap and clones. Project Image in particular is open to all kinds of abuse. Lesser restoration on warrior simulacra, etc.
  • One bit of cheese I'm sad to see go: They extended the attack range of big golems so that you can no longer safely poke them to death with two-handed weapons. Gone are the days of Minsc and Lilarcor killing the Iron Golem in De'Arnise Keep with impunity.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 877
    Casting "Feeblemind" on Firkraag or the Shadow Dragon repeatedly until it is successful. And then beating them to death as they just sit there oblivious...
  • DanrilorDanrilor Member Posts: 26
    Thrasymachus the feeblemind cheese is one is one of my favorites, but it gets even cheesier when you put it in a spell sequencer and put it behind something that gives a huge penalty to saving throws (like Doom or Spook) and if he fails that save then he fails the save of everything in the sequencer. I killed Firkraag once by shooting him with a three spell sequence of doom, spook, and that death chromatic orb. I basically killed a red dragon with a sequence of three first level spells.
  • SliceofhellSliceofhell Member Posts: 85
    Prebuffs.
  • DashivaDashiva Member Posts: 35
    edited November 2013
    mjs said:

doors are the cheesiest thing in bg2. open it cast cloud kill close it. leave an area to avoid enemy spells.

doors are like magic barriers man, they offer immunity, teleportation and invisibility

Hahah the doors just crack me up every time. The game could have the most powerful mage in the history of Faerun conjuring demons from all sorts of planes, but he's not smart enough to turn a doorknob.
    Post edited by Dashiva on
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    Here is the cheese good sir.
    Equip the Shield of Balduran.
    Enter Beholder Caverns in the Underdark.
    When the Elder Orb charms itself, have it imprison itself.
    Voila! Quest items drop for a free win!
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    Kurumi said:

It's not tactics when you use OOC information to know what's hidden in the fog of war, thus casting spells such as Cloudkill, Web and Fireball to destroy hostile creatures one hasn't seen yet.

Well.. not that it's really necessary to get the info from such sources.. one can easily get it with near-cheese spells like "Farsight" or "Wizard Eye".. or even your standard scouting char :)
    Obviously I'm doing this wrong somehow but I wasn't aware you could cast those spells without having at least one hostile target sighted even though they're area effect spells?
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Dragons: Traps ERRYWHERE. Provoke. Slap it really hard when it's full of bricks. Go to Cromwell, Cleric gets a neat new jacket!
    Dashiva said:

mjs said:

doors are the cheesiest thing in bg2. open it cast cloud kill close it. leave an area to avoid enemy spells.

doors are like magic barriers man, they offer immunity, teleportation and invisibility

Hahah the doors just crack me up every time. The game could have the most powerful mage in the history of Faerun conjuring demon's from all sorts of planes, but he's not smart enough to turn a doorknob.
    Jerrod found that getting stuck in a door is also an option!
  • DanrilorDanrilor Member Posts: 26
    There was also that bug with Ottiluke's resilient sphere that allowed punch damage to get through. Did they ever fix that? So much cheese, so little time.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Stealing the items in de'arnses golem keep with some oil of speed.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199

Dragons: Traps ERRYWHERE. Provoke. Slap it really hard when it's full of bricks. Go to Cromwell, Cleric gets a neat new jacket!

The only dragon I feel its quasi-legitimate to do the trap tactic with is the Shadow Dragon, since you actually have a wardstone that stops it noticing you. The others are just painful exploitation.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438

The only dragon I feel its quasi-legitimate to do the trap tactic with is the Shadow Dragon, since you actually have a wardstone that stops it noticing you. The others are just painful exploitation.
    "No, Firkraag, go back to sleep."
    "But I hear clicking. Are there mice? I'm afraid of mice. OH GOD, MOUS--"
    *whk fblblbl*
    "*gargle* *DROP*"
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    edited November 2013
    The infamous "Cloudkill then close the door" trick comes to mind. Classic.

EDIT: Ninja'd? Wow.

How about the Restoration on Simulacrum trick? Fully powered doppelganger eh?
    And some more..

"Endless Spells" strategies and the smart use of "Improved Invisibility" to negate enemy Minor Spell Turnings.

Obviously I'm doing this wrong somehow but I wasn't aware you could cast those spells without having at least one hostile target sighted even though they're area effect spells?

Yup.. try them.. they are fun :) you can cast Farsight to any point on the (Mini)-Map and the Wizard Eye is just like an invisible summon (it can't open doors or go down stairs) and some creatures can see the invisible.. well, still better to have those go after your Wizard Eye than your fragile Thief.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    "Drinking" two rogue stones, then selling the remaining 65,535 for enough cash to buy the Realm of Amn lock, stock and barrel!

Fake-talking Firkraag.

Planting three spike traps, asking Saladrex if it's true that dragon meat tastes like chicken, and then leading him on a merry chase right over the traps.

Speaking of spike traps, did you know that four of these babies planted in the location where Mellisan appears when you cut off her sources of Bhaal essence will insta-kill her?

Mmmmm... cheese! :-)