Skip to content

Wish you liked a class?

2»

Comments

• atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,157
    Broadly speaking, I like all the classes and the variety of abilities.

Monk, and most of the newer kits for all the classes don't do much for me though. But then, I don't particularly "want" to like them either, I'm just not interested.

Which is all a long intro to say I sometimes wish I was MORE into mages and all their various off-shoots and subclasses. Especially from mid SoA on when those classes become the real power classes in the game. So even though I understand that, and I really am happy to always have a mage or two in my party, I just don't get excited over them. Warriors and clerics are the classes that really get my motor running. That's what I relate to and get excited about.
  • sffrrromsffrrrom Member Posts: 60
    Smaug said:

sffrrrom said:

I just can't figure out a way that RP'ing a Cleric makes sense when you're the Spawn of Bhaal, especially given the various endings to ToB. Especially not an evil cleric. Maybe a good one, I guess, but that bores me for different reasons.

Can you explain what you mean? Why doesn't RP'ing an evil cleric make sense? I've done it during a few playthroughs.
    I guess to me it's that a cleric is supposed to draw power from his god, right? I have a hard time imagining most evil deitys supporting you towards the end result of ToB - at least at ToB levels you would assume they'd be aware of your actions and might decide it'd be a good idea to pull the plug. Plus something about the Bhaalspawn pulling his power from an external rather than internal source bothers me just in general.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    sffrrrom said:

I guess to me it's that a cleric is supposed to draw power from his god, right? I have a hard time imagining most evil deitys supporting you towards the end result of ToB - at least at ToB levels you would assume they'd be aware of your actions and might decide it'd be a good idea to pull the plug. Plus something about the Bhaalspawn pulling his power from an external rather than internal source bothers me just in general.

Deities are selfish, in a way. Belief gives them power, and if they find a way to gain more belief, they're often willing to overlook some of the details. Or, in the case of the more righteous deities, they will offer their aid to anyone sincere enough, Bhaalspawn or not. The gods are forbidden from directly intervening, but if a Bhaalspawn chooses to worship them out of their own volition that's fine, and they are allowed to offer them all they'd offer any other cleric.

As for the power, it doesn't contradict the nature of Bhaalspawn. They draw their power from "within", i.e. their heritage, but that's not ALL their power. Fighter Bhaalspawn for example gain strength from training and physical disposition; mages from learning and magical prowess; and clerics from worship and their connection to their deity. It's supplementary to their innate Bhaalspawn power, not a substitute.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    I just pretend that clerics can channel the energy from the positive/negative energy planes to their own ends and worship of a god is optional. Perhaps this ability is a consequence of your godly nature. You don't lose your cleric powers if your reputation goes too low, unlike a paladin, right? So either you've found a very lenient god or their assistance is not necessary.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    Paladins.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Definitely shapeshifter Druids because being a werewolf seemed so cool. I even found an awesome avatar for them too.

Too bad they turned out to be pure suckage.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Smaug said:

The bard. I like it in theory, but I found it to be a completely useless class. For my money, there are much better classes to flesh out my party.

I agree, sort of, but in opposite. I want to like Bard, but can't get my head around the concept of a traveling Minstrel being any kind of an adventurer. Yeah, I know all about Volo and really kind of think he is a bit of a jerk.

I get that the skill/magic set is nice and is almost like playing a dual class Fighter/Wizard. I just have some sort of mental block wherein I can't bring myself to play one. I don't even want one in my party; even though I recognize their power and potential.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    I like PnP monks, but not BG ones. I know it's been discussed to death in other threads, but taking away their ability to open locks and remove traps (not just finding them!) and not being able to use two-handed weapons really did them in for me. I really want to like them in BG, but they just don't do anything for me.
  • FouneFoune Member Posts: 53
    Ranger, there is no reason I can see to pick this over a fighter, Archer is very unique and powerful so I'd play that, but for a Stalker I'd rather play fighter/thief
  • Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    I almost always play some sort of cleric combo just as in real life there are true priests and swindlers. I love religion and morality more so than any other thing, but I choose to honor all gods rather than warship one.

You can say rational things for irrational reasons and irrational things for rational reasons, but it is up to you to make the distinction between the two. - Shawn Farthing
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November 2013
    RnRClown said:

It is not so much wishing that I liked the class, because I do like the Cleric as a class. It is rather wishing that I could put aside real world prejudice towards religion and its many conflicting orders. I managed to do so for the Paladin, as I was able to envision a backstory without the prerequisite of conformity to such an order, but rather a deity (without the middle man - religion) granting divine favor based on an individuals actions, and moral principles.

Mmm, that is actually really awesome! Personal relationship > Religion, 'nuff said! I reckon your PC would make for a very enjoyable character.
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    Barbarian and monk. Mostly because I just have a hard time seeing a kid in Candlekeep growing up to become a barb and monks are sort of... un-swordcoasty.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    @TheElf - that is a common concern, that of being able to explain the origin/back story of certain classes. I have seen people have issues with Druids and Barbies, though never Monks. I'd think that Monks would fit in quite easily with the cloisters of Candlekeep. but...

I once crafted a backstory for a Barbi wherein, growing up, Charname was always the wild child. he was a ferocious warrior, but was always very raw and un-polished. He was the terror of Martial training, usually breaking down and using his hands and fists over the various martial weapons being trained on. Then one day, a guard, who had traveled from the northern wastes up by the spine of the world, took Charname aside. he told stories of his tribe in the north and how they survived the cold wastes. He described fierce battles and great victories of his ancestors. He described the traditions of his people and Charname was enchanted. As the years progressed, the guard took Charname under his wing and tought him the traditions and the ways of the Wolf Clan (or whatever clan you want). They followed the rites of passage and learned the ways of the beasts and the land. They went on vision quests like the old shamen taught, and they talked to the ancestors.

The story went on from there, but basically it explained why there was a Barbarian in the fold. Imagine Worf from ST:TNG as he progressed and learned the ways of the Klingons. It can be done. it just takes someone with too much time on their hands to dream this crap up.