Skip to content

Least feasible party for bg2

Having played BG2 since it came out(on and off, naturally), I've gotten into the habit of choosing mostly the same sets of characters over and over... I do try to mix it up a bit, but I rarely do more than introduce a "wild card"-npc, the rest will usually stay more or less the same. Until EE, I always included Jan unless charname was a thief, and Viconia, Edwin and Haer'dalis were almost always present.

So, I was thinking of doing a run with the least feasible combination of NPC's, mostly for fun. Do any of you have some thoughts of what that could be? I'm not looking for "no thief"-party or similar though, so the party should contain at least a fighter, a thief, a healer and a spellcaster(doesn't matter if they're good at it, ie. anomen would fit both the fighter and healer role). And obviously, I can't combine NPC's who will eventually hack each other to bits...

But other than that, what would be the most wildly unbalanced party, in your opinion?

Comments

• mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    hmmm, i think any party that has at least one tank/healer/thief/spellcaster won't have too much trouble, but let's see

charname: dragon disciple
    fighter: valygar
    healer: cernd
    thief: hexxat

this covers your roles (terribly inadequately), but i can't see it doing well. your only arcane caster is a DD, pure thieves aren't great, stalkers aren't good fronliners and cernd is cernd.

the only thing is, with a reduced party they'll level quicker which might make things easier, but i can't think of any other npc that you could add that wouldn't then make team the really strong. maybe minsc and viconia?
  • DetectiveMittensDetectiveMittens Member Posts: 235
    edited November 2013
    The problem is all characters have their Merits so it's not a case of making the least feasible. You could take the NPCs with the lowest Dice Rolls and thus being the least feasible in that regard.

I often put every single NPC into a group generator (http://aschool.us/random/random-pair.php) and then let it list off 5 at a time. There are 20 NPC (If you count Yoshimo And Imoen as interchangeable) And using Sarevok as a filler spot until TOB.

And thus generate groups like this: However some may not work.
    Jaheira, Jan, Valygar, Minsc, Sarevok(filler)

Anomen, Dorn, Kelldorn, Nalia, Aerie

Cernd, Edwin, Neera, Korgan, Rasaad

Viconia, Imoen/Yosimo, Hexxat, Mazzy, Haer'Dalis

And you can do this multiple times and store all the groups on a .txt
    And then make how you think would best fit your party.

Generally find you would have to either choose a Fighter, Thief Or Spellcaster to best fit the group. If you get a balanced group you can try something crazy :P
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    edited November 2013
    mjs said:

hmmm, i think any party that has at least one tank/healer/thief/spellcaster won't have too much trouble, but let's see

this covers your roles (terribly inadequately), but i can't see it doing well. your only arcane caster is a DD, pure thieves aren't great, stalkers aren't good fronliners and cernd is cernd.

the only thing is, with a reduced party they'll level quicker which might make things easier, but i can't think of any other npc that you could add that wouldn't then make team the really strong. maybe minsc and viconia?

Nonononono, Nalia for thief, except then you have a mage ... so wait no, hmmmm.

Oh yea, Nalia in studded leather armour as a thief with a shortsword.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    edited November 2013
    mjs said:

Uh, how is a pure Thief not great at being a thief???
    Cernd is a single-class Druid, that means lots of druid spells really fast.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    @mjs I think a bard would be even worse for the arcane caster role because you can't get the high circle spells.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Any party with Cernd

Any party with Cernd

Single. Class. Druid.

Any party with Cernd

Single. Class. Druid.
    It's not like he can't do anything but I'd take... any other divine caster over him.
    Aerie ... in plate mail armour.
    Also heres a good idea for charname:

Extra challenge - can only wield clubs or staffs, and with only 1 point in each.
    Barbarian is good though, how about beastmaster?
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    The game (at least vanilla) is easily playable with any possible combination of NPC and classes. The game can be finished by solo single class thief, druid, monk... (And some people can do it even with SCS, Ascension and without any reload). I think that it will be quite difficult for a group of paladins (but no Inquisitor), rangers, priests and druids with SCS and Ascension. Without mages, bards and thieves (or you can use thieves but without UAI and abusing of traps).
    So: Minsc, Valygar, Viconia, Anomen, Hexxat (without UAI)/Cernd/Dorn + SCS and Ascension. At first you should have no problems but during later stages of game it will be more difficult without any mage.
    Ok, beastmaster, or wizard slayer. I picked barbarian for RP reasons with the unwashed peasant name.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    mjs said:

I agree that's a pretty awful party.

I'm wondering if Neera could be worked in somehow - personally I find wild mages to be a liability rather than an asset.

Also could consider F/M/T or F/M/C to cover the mage role. Mainly because they level up so slowly and can't even reach level 9 mage spells at the cap.

• 17651765 Member Posts: 71
    edited November 2013
    pc: pure fighter
    Mazzy
    Yoshimo
    Korgan
    Minsc
    Valgyar

no healers, no mages, no spells, no nothing

Its not what you want, but its still cool, I enjoyled playing this

mjs said:

Uh, how is a pure Thief not great at being a thief???
    Cernd is a single-class Druid, that means lots of druid spells really fast.
    thieves obviously make great thieves, but pure thieves make great very little else. assassins are better backstabbers and super useful with poison weapon. swashbucklers can end up dealing great amounts of damage. bounty hunter are cheesy as hell, especially with their thrown special traps restored. therefore to make a weak party, hexxat is the worst NPC to choose to fulfil the thief role

also i don't rate druids in bg2 and you don't get lots of druids spells fast, because to get one lvl 7 spell you need 1.5m XP, a cleric needs 1.35m XP AND THEN to get achieve more lvl 7 spells a druid needs another 1.5m XP to hit lvl 15 by which time a cleric will be lvl 21

also clerics get full plate and spells like holy power, righteous magic and DuHM which turn them into pretty effective frontliners. priest of helm/lathander kits give great attacking abilities.
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    mjs said:

hexxat is the worst NPC to choose to fulfil the thief role

SOMEbody hasn't run with only Nalia in the thief role. :)

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    jaheira, cernd, haer'dalis,jan and aerie, I've played with that party a few times ( and my charname was a totemic druid) I played this team just in spite to see if I could beat the game, and I did it twice on insane ( this also includes ToB), so try that combination out, challenging but fun
    nano said:

It's not like he can't do anything but I'd take... any other divine caster over him.

Uh, why? Jaheira doesn't get as many spells as he does, and Clerics can't cast Druid spells.

• GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639

nano said:

Uh, why? Jaheira doesn't get as many spells as he does, and Clerics can't cast Druid spells.

Except Jaheira gets plenty of spells regardless. And can specialize in weapons. And can wear plate armor. And use nice shields for extra AC. And bonus points for being do-able.

nano said:

I don't think having extra Druid spells is all that great. Despite having less spells Jaheira can beat the crap out of things so much better and if I had to choose between Cleric and Druid I find Cleric spells more useful overall.
    Haerdalis, Jaheira and Aerie are all OP characters.

Actually for the PC , you could try playing an enchanter with just 14 intelligence. You have a caster, but he cant use many damage spells.
    Ayiekie said:

mjs said:

hexxat is the worst NPC to choose to fulfil the thief role

SOMEbody hasn't run with only Nalia in the thief role. :)

i haven't, but i bet it wouldn't be difficult, she has 85% for find traps (one potion off 100%) and 60% open locks (again on potion off 100%) or use lvl 2 spell knock. plenty of ways to go invisible and backstab (if you wanted to)

i'm gonna draft up a team with her as my sole thief and restore Nalia's good thieving name!
  • InfiltratorInfiltrator Member Posts: 121

Any party with Cernd

Ahahahaha THIS :D
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    edited November 2013
    You want a "Least feasible party for BG2?"
    Least.
    Feasible.
    Party.

I have one for you mate.

Keldorn, Viconia, Edwin, Minsc + Charname Jester.

It will eventually turn into a party of 3 when half of your NPCs kill each other.
    For extra challenge.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    @Southpaw
    Or add Aerie and CN Anomen, hurr hurr.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    @Buttercheese - and then Korgan + Aerie...and in the end just make them all fight it out in one big free-for-all and dance on their corpses...
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    @Southpaw
    Yes please xD
    This reminds me a lot of Neverwinter Nights 2 where basically every companion has their counterpart they just won't get along with for good (Casavir/ Bishop, Sand/ Qara, Neeshka/ Khelgar, Zhjaeve/ Ammon, Shandra/ You. The only ones not fighting all the time are Grobnar and Elanee). OLD OWL WELL.
  • ParoniParoni Member Posts: 10
    I'm currently running a party where I took all my least favorite NPC's, the ones I thought most useless.

The Hippie group:
    Me (Ranger/Cleric, fresh start in BG2)
    Minsc (used to be useless cause I used him with two-handed weapons and compared to Keldorn)
    Valygar (those Celestial Fury backstabs)
    Jaheira (compulsory romance, also kicks ass with club & sling)
    Cernd (This guy kicks ass with a strength belt, dex gloves & defense spells)
    Jan (for the thief & mage skills)

And this team kicks ass. All those insect plagues and iron skins make every battle a cakewalk. Jan is just tagging along to throw anti-mage spells around.

Guess it goes to show pretty much all combinations are viable as long as CHARNAME is decent.