Skip to content

Will you please pass the cheese?

2»

Comments

• BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    Thanks @Kurumi, it's stupid really, I've been using one the old spell guide that suggests a few spells that aren't much use in BGI/II and Farsight was one of them. Obviously that guide is very subjective.

The infamous "Cloudkill then close the door" trick comes to mind. Classic.

Ah, my favourite, I especially enjoy using that against mind flayers. To be completely honest I think the doors are genuinely the only things that are cheesy, perhaps if you could lock them up again that'd make it less so; the rest? Well, if you playing anything other than a lawful stupid good pure paladin who'll only ever attack enemies in plain sight then I see nothing wrong in bending the rules and using 'any means necessary' to stay in one piece. If a DM would accept it as a tactic in a PnP game then it's all good. Also, what would MacGyver do? That's right, use the tools as his disposal to save the day, so what if he doesn't use the tool for it's original purpose, nothing wrong with a little, uh, ingenuity I say. ;)

• MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    edited November 2013

EDIT: Ninja'd? Wow.

How about the Restoration on Simulacrum trick? Fully powered doppelganger eh?

OMG I never knew this worked! But it doesnt restore spells on the doppleganger, but it let my 13 kensai / Mage's doppleganger clear waves in black pits all by itself lol.

Post edited by Mungri on
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520

Thanks @Kurumi, it's stupid really, I've been using one the old spell guide that suggests a few spells that aren't much use in BGI/II and Farsight was one of them. Obviously that guide is very subjective.

Yeah.. that's the thing with many guides.. but on the other hand it's just fun in how many different and sometimes hilarious ways you can beat the obstacles in the IE games and I love them so much for that reason already.
  • karl_maulderkarl_maulder Member Posts: 133
    edited November 2013
    Faketalked 'em to death since 2000! That trick never gets old and it's just so much more satisfying then killing them fair :) Cloudkill/doors and placing traps right in front of bosses(demogorgon) is also rewarding ;)

I remember trying to beath Kangaxx and Draconis the first time using faketalking and they seemed to have billions of HP. I've beaten all bosses without cheese, so it seems a waste of time not using this hilarious exploit whenever i can.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I confess I Protection-from-Undead-scrolled Kangaxx on my latest game. My god, the cheese.

I admit, though, that you have ample warning that Kangaxx is probably going to kill you (from the other Liches), and I used the scroll once he turned hostile (I only had one, everyone else hid fast), so its perfectly reasonable to do without that much metagaming (and obviously if you have 6 scrolls, that's even better).
  • RazaDelromRazaDelrom Member Posts: 149
    What if you don't have a door nearby? Use hide in plain sight with scouting script, backstab to get them casting spells, and back to the shadows. Rinse and repeat.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037

I confess I Protection-from-Undead-scrolled Kangaxx on my latest game. My god, the cheese.

I admit, though, that you have ample warning that Kangaxx is probably going to kill you (from the other Liches), and I used the scroll once he turned hostile (I only had one, everyone else hid fast), so its perfectly reasonable to do without that much metagaming (and obviously if you have 6 scrolls, that's even better).

This doesn't count as cheese, metagaming, or cheating. The scrolls are available for sale in-game and tell you quite plainly that they give you complete protection from the undead; hence, only the unwise do not use this tactic. I think there are two scrolls of protection from magic, as well, the use of which put a damper on Irenicus' day--all that power to no avail.
    Well it certainly felt like cheese. Admittedly, it was partly his fault. Standing on the raised sarcophagus platform he was able to see my party and target them, but he tried to move down the stairs for some reason, at which point they ducked around a corner so he couldn't see them anymore.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    I always used the Ring of the Ram to push him into the far corner. That ring is simply too much fun.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    If an enemy just spams the same instant death move over and over, it's cheese. You fight cheese with Flaming Cheese, it's only reasonable ;)
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    @Montresor_SP
    Talking-to-death has been fixed, "drinking" gems/scrolls/etc too.
  • DanrilorDanrilor Member Posts: 26
    Well, it is good that EE fixed the cheese in some cases, but it at least we will always have our memories. Iw always remember the time that I cheesed the "drink a potion and then switch in a scroll" to give my thief a familiar that could pickpocket, had the familiar pickpocket the wave device, and then blasted Irenicus in his ugly face with it. Chhhheeeeeesssseee!
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438

That is soooo what I did to Aran Linvail on my first playthrough...
    CHARNAME launched one, Nalia and Aerie launched one...closed the door, let them gag to death. Jaheira dropped an entangle, and I think I threw some webs in for good measure. All that I had to actually fight was a summoned Nabassu! :D! And that was a simple case of just slapping it around because we had protection from evil 10' radius on us.

My favorite recipe is from Icewind Dale, without Heart of Winter installed: What I did, was load up on buffs -- mirror images, stoneskins, stuff from the Wand of Armory...wade into the thick of undead in Severed Hand, backstab the meanest, toughest-looking ************ in sight, and drop an AoE spell on myself. :D I took no damage, and the undead got the beating of an unlifetime.
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432

CHARNAME launched one, Nalia and Aerie launched one...closed the door, let them gag to death. Jaheira dropped an entangle, and I think I threw some webs in for good measure. All that I had to actually fight was a summoned Nabassu! :D! And that was a simple case of just slapping it around because we had protection from evil 10' radius on us.
    You killed Aran Linvail? Renal Bloodscalp I can understand, but Aran?
    edited November 2013
    I discovered a new cheese for mages. Works best for Fighter / Mages.

Shapechange x 1, Improved Haste x 2, Time Stop x several scrolls on your quick slots.

Cast Simulacrum. You get all your quick slot stuff on your doppleganger. Cast Time Stop > any buffs from the regular spells, Shape Change > Iron Golem > Improved Haste.

Go on a time stopping hasted iron golem rampage. Maybe even improved invisibility scrolls instead of haste.

You killed Aran Linvail? Renal Bloodscalp I can understand, but Aran?
    If you side with Bodhi, you have to. XD
  • blackmamuthblackmamuth Member Posts: 19

This doesn't count as cheese, metagaming, or cheating. The scrolls are available for sale in-game and tell you quite plainly that they give you complete protection from the undead; hence, only the unwise do not use this tactic. I think there are two scrolls of protection from magic, as well, the use of which put a damper on Irenicus' day--all that power to no avail.
    yes, you have to graduate to the evil side.

Protection from magic on kangaxx... Or any mage, really. It shuts down their spellcasting!!! so your fighters can deal with them at your leisure. Use vhailor's helm silmalucrum to conserve them.
  • DisgruntlerDisgruntler Member Posts: 100
    In my last playthrough I traveled with Hexxat. You all know the efficiency of traps, right? Turns out Hexxats 4 traps are enough to one-hit every single lich up to Kangaxx.

Neeras quest in ToB also prompted some cheese on my part. By that point my CHARNAME was a massive tank with great saves and regeneration. The enemy couldn't kill her fast enough to stop her from regenerating.
  • athakathak Member Posts: 31
    Cast Shapechange.
    Cast Chain Contingency set to trigger while helpless, containing 3x Project Image.
    Cast Project Image.
    Now you have 4 Project Images which can shapechange into MindFlayers and preform melee attacks and 4x the spells of your spellbook.
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    Ah yes.. and some other mega cheese.. the B. M. U. .. don't you forget to keep the pantaloons ;) !!!
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    edited November 2013
    Mungri said:

I discovered a new cheese for mages. Works best for Fighter / Mages.

Shapechange x 1, Improved Haste x 2, Time Stop x several scrolls on your quick slots.

Cast Simulacrum. You get all your quick slot stuff on your doppleganger. Cast Time Stop > any buffs from the regular spells, Shape Change > Iron Golem > Improved Haste.

Go on a time stopping hasted iron golem rampage. Maybe even improved invisibility scrolls instead of haste.

lol dude... At that point just transform into a Mindflyer and kill anything, since under Time Stop all your attacks will automatically hit.
    athak said:

Cast Shapechange.
    Cast Chain Contingency set to trigger while helpless, containing 3x Project Image.
    Cast Project Image.
    Now you have 4 Project Images which can shapechange into MindFlayers and preform melee attacks and 4x the spells of your spellbook.

It has been fixed.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Danrilor said:

are you sad that your Paladin can no longer have his pseudodragon familiar?

How did you get a familiar for a paladin????? I want this!

Danrilor said:

are you sad that your Paladin can no longer have his pseudodragon familiar?

How did you get a familiar for a paladin????? I want this!
    I never actually got the glitch to work. I think it worked by drinking a potion and then swapping it for a scroll so that you 'drank' the scroll and thus cast it (finding a familiar). They've fixed it now, though.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Fake-Talking seems to still work on dragons. Cheese away my fellow cheese lovers.
    On the note of scrolls, there's a few potions of magic blocking in BG1. They make you immune to everything that Aec'letec does (hence he is easier to solo than he is with a full party, because there's only about 3 of the potions you can fond I think).
    @mungri that's the truth. Tales of the Sword Coast encounters have no damn mercy and you have to use the cheese you are given. The last time I fought Aec'letec I think that I had to sacrifice my entire party except for CHARNAME, who I used the scroll on (I found two, so I still had one to save for Saravok's crew). Another time my Wild Mage inadvertently summoned a Pit Fiend on a wild surge, and a couple protection from evil spells later, I let those two settle things like men... er... fiends. The Pit Fiend won. Protection from Evil can be pretty cheesy itself.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    @Danrilor Haha, I bet the cultists were pissed. They went to all that trouble, sacrificing everything to summon Aec'letec... and your wild mage gates in a stronger demon without even trying.
    Another cheese I'be been thinking about is casting the mage spell Strength on really strong creatures like Ogres and Dragons, setting their strength to 18 and effectively nerfing them. I did it once to Yaga Shura and his magic resistance failed, he failed his save, and he was a real wuss. CHHEEESSSEEE!!!