Skip to content

Toughest Bonus Boss in All of Faerun

shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
Let's widen our perspective a bit - who's the toughest optional boss fight in the Forgotten Realms games?
  1. Toughest Bonus Boss in All of Faerun277 votes
    1. Drizzt (Baldur's Gate 1)
        6.14%
    2. Aec'Letec (Baldur's Gate 1: Tales of the Sword Coast)
      13.72%
    3. Karoug the Wolfwere (Baldur's Gate 1: Tales of the Sword Coast)
      14.08%
    4. Kangaxx (Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn)
      19.86%
    5. Demogorgon (Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal)
      24.91%
    6. Telthor Badger (Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer)
        3.61%
    7. One of Many (Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir)
        1.08%
    8. The Lost Followers (Icewind Dale 2)
        4.33%
    9. The Box Fiend (Planescape Torment)
        1.81%
    10. Other (Please Specify)
      10.47%

Comments

• Aron740Aron740 Member Posts: 153
    Hated that damn werewolf...
    Also I only had two silver/gold weapons and no one proficient in them..........
  • onanonan Member Posts: 223
    Back in the days of the original BG2, I don't think I even managed to kill the Demogorgon.
  • davendaven Member Posts: 112
    Had the most trouble with this guy.
  • MaconaMacona Member Posts: 70
    edited November 2013
    Aec'Letec always takes me a few reloads.

I've only fought Demogorgon once and I didn't have any problems. I probably won't be so lucky next time round though.
  • TaevikTaevik Member Posts: 38
    One of Many is probably one of my favorite characters of all time. Pretty unforgiving if it gets in your face, but you can just kite it to death if you know what you're doing. There's actually a boss fight against him in Mask of the Betrayer too, which only occurs under certain conditions. But that's only the second hardest boss fight in that game.

I think Telthor Badger is probably the hardest out of all the options listed. It's got 30 levels of barbarian, 30+ points in each stat, and every strategy for fighting it is based on using spells to hit its will save (which is still pretty high). It's just a really frustrating boss to play against because its damage is so insane.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I say Karoug because he requires the most specific "strategy", if you can call it that. If you don't use the weapons meant specifically to kill him, you won't hit him. All others allow different approaches, depending on the amount of cheese you're ok with.
    If you happen to have no-one using bastard swords/daggers, you have a gimped/non proficient frontliner (or a class with terrible damage/THAC0 like mage) trying to kill Karoug before he kills you. He regenerates, you - possibly, if you brought Potions of Regeneration - but certainly not that quick.

Though, I might mistake this with "most frustrating"; strategy-wise, it's really not that challenging.
    TsyrithCalmarCoryNewbQuartz
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Unlike most of these bosses, there's no way to cheese the Telthor Badger. It deals multiple hits for an absurd amount of damage each. The best defense against it is a good offense. Spam your most powerful spells and abilities and just pray.
    Taeviklolien
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Lord Ao
    DragonspearelminsterCrevsDaak
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Drizzt because he's almost impossible to beat straight up in a fair fight. All the others (well the BG ones, I don't know about the other games) are meant to be killed and the devs give you a sporting chance but you have to be really strong to take out Drizzt without using tricks like fire shield.
    Alkalurops
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I'm kind of surprised how many people list Karoug. He is a tough opponent, it's true. But once you know the trick to killing him, he isn't really that much harder than anyone else.

for me, I never defeated Demogorgon, so he would be up there. I'd also give a nod to Aec'lectec and Kangaxx as among the toughest.

For me, Draconis (sp?) from TOB would be the top of my list. Unlimited invisibility, area effect attacks, protections against same, knock back and that @#$% unlimited invisibility so you can't target him. That's also the farthest I ever got in TOB, so...
    FinaLfrontDragonspearTethorilofLathanderCrevsDaak
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265

I'm kind of surprised how many people list Karoug. He is a tough opponent, it's true. But once you know the trick to killing him, he isn't really that much harder than anyone else.

That's the problem, you need to have a trick. There are I think only 4 weapons that can hurt him, and only two are available on the island, so you're kind of screwed if you didn't bring the right ones along. It also sucks when you don't even have any characters with those proficiencies (at least in the EE. In the original, the weapons were grouped together, so you weren't nearly as screwed over with proficiencies), and you have to rely on really high rolls. You need to get a lot of high rolls in a short time, however, because that little ***** has regeneration to go with his near weapon immunity. You also encounter him with a bunch of his friends.

He's so much tougher than any other BG1 boss in my experience. Doom Guard, Sarevok, and Aec'Letec were all so much easier for me to deal with. Karoug took me around 10 tries because of my party composition (no one had bastard swords or daggers). I didn't know ahead of time (I never did TotSC back in the day), and I didn't want to look up guides to spoil the adventure. Gah, I'm starting to wish I had.
    KidCarnival
  • VetrilVetril Member Posts: 22
    I'd say Kangaxx. Anyone who walks into the fight without knowing what to expect is going to be obliterated in seconds. I've never heard of anyone that could defeat him on the first try without metagaming.
    jackjackEmmiBrude
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    The arena in the ice palace in IWD2 was pretty tough, if that can be considered an optional boss fight.
    Also, the flaming fist guards/amnish guards that will hunt you down if you kill too many people are pretty scary.

From the list above, probably Aec'Letec is the toughest.

Any fight where your party level is somewhere in the region of 18+ in any D&D game can hardly be considered challenging.
    Neonfisk
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    Hmm, hardest "boss fight" in all of Faerun? I guess I'll limit this to non-deities. Tchazzar perhaps before he ascended to divinity (he was a level 12 Dragon Ascendant Half-Fiend Elder Wyrm possessed by a Warlord)... or Larloch level 32 Lich Wizard.

If you mean solely from a video game it's probably Aec'letec or Kangaxx. Those two really stand out as a challenege for their respective level.
  • AmardarialAmardarial Member Posts: 270

That's the problem, you need to have a trick. There are I think only 4 weapons that can hurt him, and only two are available on the island, so you're kind of screwed if you didn't bring the right ones along. It also sucks when you don't even have any characters with those proficiencies (at least in the EE. In the original, the weapons were grouped together, so you weren't nearly as screwed over with proficiencies), and you have to rely on really high rolls. You need to get a lot of high rolls in a short time, however, because that little ***** has regeneration to go with his near weapon immunity. You also encounter him with a bunch of his friends.

He's so much tougher than any other BG1 boss in my experience. Doom Guard, Sarevok, and Aec'Letec were all so much easier for me to deal with. Karoug took me around 10 tries because of my party composition (no one had bastard swords or daggers). I didn't know ahead of time (I never did TotSC back in the day), and I didn't want to look up guides to spoil the adventure. Gah, I'm starting to wish I had.
    WHich is weird, he went down in 3-4 hits, and magic worked just fine, didn't even use the special weapons...

He was and always has been stupid easy for me.
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    I only managed to get him because Dorn got a crit for 40 (using a bastard sword he wasn't proficient with), while my character got a crit for 30 right afterward (with a dagger he wasn't roficient with).

As far as I'm aware you have to use the special weapons, otherwise he can't be hurt. Not even my +3 weapons had any effect against him >_> Regular magic works okay, but I only had one spell caster whose damage potential was about as fast as his regeneration.

It's not that he's incredibly difficult, exactly, it's just that if you have a bad set-up, you're in a zone where you can't change that, and the fight will be extremely frustrating. All the others allow you to go shopping at the very least, or change your party members before the fight. Compared to every single boss in BG, he was by far the toughest for me, personally, to defeat.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563

for me, I never defeated Demogorgon, so he would be up there. I'd also give a nod to Aec'lectec and Kangaxx as among the toughest.

You can apply that same logic to Kangaxx. He's pretty much a one trick pony since once you block Imprisonment and Wail of the Banshee there's nothing he can do.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Most of these can be killed with a simple trick (Kangaxx can be solo'd by the Slayer, or anyone with Protection from Abjuration or Protection from magic, or one-shotted by a Mace of Disruption).
    I had Demogorgon down before I even seriously got into the fight (three beefed up fighters attacking him was apparently more than he could bear) and Aec'letec isn't that dangerous if everyone's outfitted with Potions of Mirrored Eyes.

The Followers of Bane though...daaaang. That took me a solid two hours (most of it on reloads), all the power my characters could pump out, every summoning spell in the book and in the end, only my Gnome Illusionist was still standing. I was literally sweating at my PC after that.
    So my vote's on them.
  • VikingRVikingR Member Posts: 88
    Gaelan Bayle before you've paid him.

• DashivaDashiva Member Posts: 35
    Oh, I'd almost like to change my vote to the Twisted Rune. That fight is a proper poop.
    syllog
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    VikingR said:

Gaelan Bayle before you've paid someone.

@VikingR Fixed.
    jackjack
  • NachtiNachti Member Posts: 89
    Balthazar. His stances kicked my arse quite often.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    Personally I don't find any of the listed bosses particularly difficult, Demogorgon for example usually lasts a grand total of 5 seconds against my party.

The most difficult bosses can be found when you install the Ascension mod, which is almost an official mod considering who developed it. Now those bosses are worthy of the name. Abazigal in particular is just insanely hard.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    edited November 2013
    I don't think any of the optional bosses really stand out but if I had to say one I'd go for one of the demon/devil (I forget which one) bosses on Watcher's Keep level 3. The area previous is a dead magic zone so you can't prebuff and you are immediately beset by enemies which can level drain as well as demons. It's quite hard to come through that one 'clean' so I'll go with that.
    EvilSchmevil
  • GoldenEggGoldenEgg Member Posts: 23
    I will never forget the first time I beat him, dead party members scattered all around, spells spent, weapons broken, patience exhausted. Just my archer and one NPC left standing ... Jan Jansen ... turnip hating scum indeed!
    BasillicumEudaemoniumKidCarnivalQuartz
  • Big_MurrayBig_Murray Member Posts: 69
    KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXX!!!!!!

*echos* gaaaaaaaaax kangaaaaaaaaax ...
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    The Reaver, and Melissan. Grimgnaw and his party from Hordes of the Underdark.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    Hmmm, I wonder why Aec'Letec is so low, it is the only side boss I have not been able to beat as of yet. I am also curious as to why Demogorgon is so high, since you can take him out very fast.