Skip to content

xzar special dialogue?

A long time ago, 1998, a friend told me that Xzar and Montaron had their own quest if you krot themas around until baldur's gate. I have never tried it. Is it worth the effort? What happens?

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    They don't have their own quest. However, Xzar has some special dialogue if you take him to the second floor of Sorcerous Sundries in Baldur's Gate.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    It took me forever to realize that "Smiles, everyone, smiles! This is like some great fantasy." was a Fantasy Island reference.
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    I'm curious, does anyone know is Xzar has any special dialogue with the new companions? I remember I was surprised when Branwen stood up to Dorn for being a ruthless brute during one of his conversations; I wonder if Xzar has anything similar.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    All old NPCs have extra dialogue in Dorn's accussation conversation(s). In one, it depends on you to accuse someone of talking behind his back - the accused NPC will react, then Dorn will (most likely) kill them. Some stand a chance against him, most don't. So it's extra dialogue for losing the NPC. In the other conversation, Dorn will give you reasons why you can't trust your party members and all will react, but there won't be a fight. Xzar is... slightly out of character, in my opinion.
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    edited November 2013
    Out of character? If you didn't like Xzar's blank incomprehension at being accused of talking behind Dorn's back, then shrug and deciding to roll with it and declare he regrets nothing (before being eviscerated), then you are an objectively bad person. Or beholder. Objectively bad beholder. Which is pretty common, admittedly.

(I also think it's touching that Monty leaps to his defence, and also hilarious that Dorn doesn't turn hostile or otherwise even react to Monty futilely trying to stab him into not ripping Xzar limb from limb.)
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I told Dorn it was Imoen:
    "What? Wait, tell him you're kidding!!"
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Ayiekie said:

Out of character? If you didn't like Xzar's blank incomprehension at being accused of talking behind Dorn's back, then shrug and deciding to roll with it and declare he regrets nothing (before being eviscerated), then you are an objectively bad person. Or beholder. Objectively bad beholder. Which is pretty common, admittedly.

(I also think it's touching that Monty leaps to his defence, and also hilarious that Dorn doesn't turn hostile or otherwise even react to Monty futilely trying to stab him into not ripping Xzar limb from limb.)

KidCarnival is talking about Xzar's response when Dorn selects him as the one in your party you shouldn't trust, not the 'talking behind your back' dialogue. And to be honest I'd probably agree. Not that you necessarily shouldn't not trust Xzar, but Xzar's response to the accusation is a bit, well, un-Xzarish.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

KidCarnival is talking about Xzar's response when Dorn selects him as the one in your party you shouldn't trust, not the 'talking behind your back' dialogue. And to be honest I'd probably agree. Not that you necessarily shouldn't not trust Xzar, but Xzar's response to the accusation is a bit, well, un-Xzarish.

Seriously yeah that line was garbage.

But then, his appearance in BGII is rather un-Xzarish as well IMO. He's too rude in BGII. He's usually pretty nice despite being schizophrenic.
  • lDanielHolmlDanielHolm Member Posts: 225
    edited November 2013
    Xzar, nice?

I must say, I never noticed him being "nice."

"Montaron, you are so AGGRAVATING! 'Tis disturbing to my demeanor!"
    "I wanted infravision like the elves, but 'tis more than just stealing their eyes."
    "Must we be so insufferable charitable?!"

Yeah... still not seeing it. Perhaps in comparison to Montaron, but that doesn't say much...
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    He gives you free healing potions when you first meet him! Who else does that? And he's crazy. You picked a few "mean" lines (and they aren't really that mean) but there are plenty others that are friendly or just wacky.
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    He's both, it depends on his mood. The problem with him in BG2 was that he was just being nasty, and not really funny or insane or anything like BG1 Xzar. Well, and also the problem that it's completely lame how the quest turns out and that the game actively tries to prevent you from doing anything about it.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747

Ayiekie said:

Yes, I mean the "wait, how did I even get the first part right?" That's not Xzar-ish. He's insane, but he doesn't doubt his stories. Just listen how eager and convinced he sounds when telling you about the rabbits.