Skip to content

What is the Best armor a Barbarian can wear in BG2 and in ToB?

For some reason I was under the impression they could wear any of the dragon scale armors but it seems not, currently im using the shadow dragon scale armor and its not bad but i was wondering if there was better options to pursue? thank you!

Comments

• ghostowlghostowl Member Posts: 171
    If you went with an evil barbarian, there is a human flesh armor you can make with the blood of the silver dragon, and it has decent AC but a whooping 25% magic resistance and bonus to saves I believe.

Since Barbarian depends less on AC and more on physical resistance, and because AC doesn't really matter late game where enemies will have enough thaco to overcome it, resistances > AC

Magic resistance is probably one of the most important stats in the game.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Just to note, Human Flesh+5 has 20% magic resistance, not 25, and it gives +4 to all saving throws. Its Evil only, though.
  • DetroitRedWings25DetroitRedWings25 Member Posts: 244
    I fortunately did roll an evil Barbarian, i never really thought of that as an option but good call!
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    Pretty sure that Barbarians can wear the White Dragon Scale Armor, which is one of the best (if not *the* best) armors in the game.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    I seem to remember using something called the "Jester armor" at some point. Not sure if that's the best, but it was as good as I can remember.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Jester's Chain+4 is from the token machine in Spellhold. It costs 20 tokens, though, and the Boots of Speed (15 tokens) are probably a better prize. Getting the BoS also means you can spend the last 5 tokens to get some extra Boots of the North (there are 21 tokens in full, so you end up with a spare 1 for unfathomable reasons).
  • XerxesVXerxesV Member Posts: 187
    There is some armor in TOB that might work, but @ghostowl is right about the human flesh. These are less impressive just because they don't have magic resistance:

Grandmaster armor- AC 1, increases speed like boots. I guess that opens a boot slot that might be useful, but not as good as MR20% with human flesh.

Armor of thornes- AC 1, and does a whopping 1d4 damage to melee attackers (fire damage). That has to be pretty friggin useless in TOB.

• SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Someone a while ago said that the Bardic Chain was pretty good for them... Stuff you get in Spellhold, from the mithril coin vending machine.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Unfortunately, Jester's Chain is utterly useless on my Jester.
  • MillardkillmooreMillardkillmoore Member Posts: 150
    edited November 2013
    I think that the Crimson Chain (buyable from the post-Underdark Adventurer's Mart) has the best AC for non-evil Barbarians in SoA. Until then, you can go with the Shadow Dragon Armor. In ToB, I believe the best is the White Dragon armor.
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    jackjack said:

Unfortunately, Jester's Chain is utterly useless on my Jester.

I was hoping that they'd change it into an elven chain.

• MaranMaran Member Posts: 42

Pretty sure that Barbarians can wear the White Dragon Scale Armor, which is one of the best (if not *the* best) armors in the game.

I think even MONKS could wear that from a bug. I can't remember for sure though.

A monk with 18 DEX and -2AC Armor? OH HELL NO XD
  • _Connacht__Connacht_ Member Posts: 169
    Use the shadow dragon armor until you get the crimson armor. In ToB go for the white dragon armor as soon as possible (IIRC it's also the best armor of all the game after the full plate drow armor, or at least it has -2 AC, resistance to cold and the ability to cast cone of ice once per day).