Skip to content

Change numbers system in Attack per round

EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
edited November 2013 in Archive (Feature Requests)
This is very old thing, but even in this days many peoples does´t understand how this numbers system work.

If your character have 5/2 APR it is not five and half APR, but it is five halfs APR.
So 5/2 APR is actualy 2,5 APR.

I find this system useless confused and it will be VERY confusing for all new players.

Why we can´t have just 1,5 APR and 2,5 APR or 1½ and 2½ ( like in original game! ) instead 3/2 APR and 5/2 APR ?
Post edited by Edvin on

Comments

• ginger_hammerginger_hammer Member Posts: 160
    yeah its always confused me too. Decimal all the way thanks!
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Honestly, the whole "half-attacks per round" system is wonky in a real-time battle system, because you don't decide when those attacks happen (nor can you elect to choose a different target for each attack), and there's no clear delineation between when one round ends and another begins.

It would make more sense to list your attacks at 1, 2, or 3 for 1, 3/2, or 2 (respectively).

Not advocating a change, here; just stating a personal opinion. ;)
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited October 2012
    It's not that complicated. If you have 3/2 you get 1 attack the first round, 2 the next, then 1, then 2 ... I think. 5/2 would be 5 attacks every 2 rounds, or 2.5 attacks per round average. 2 attacks first round, 3 next, 2 next, 3 next etc. ... right?

I think you should get the higher number of attacks the first though, so if you have 5/2 it should be 3 attacks first round, 2 attacks second, 3 attacks 3rd, 2 attacks 4th, etc.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited October 2012

I think you should get the higher number of attacks the first though, so if you have 5/2 it should be 3 attacks first round, 2 attacks second, 3 attacks 3rd, 2 attacks 4th, etc.

I disagree. I consider that attacks per round are an "adding" function.

If you have 3/2 attacks per round: in the first round, you get one full attack, but the 1/2 attack is not enough to give you the second attack and so it gets carried over to the next round.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    APR and THAC0 are the two reasons why AD&D didn't do as well as third edition. Oddly, they're also the reasons why a lot of "hardcore" gamers prefer AD&D.
  • RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
    Aosaw said:

APR and THAC0 are the two reasons why AD&D didn't do as well as third edition. Oddly, they're also the reasons why a lot of "hardcore" gamers prefer AD&D.

Totally! Though, the reason why I like the awkward rules better is for a strange reason.

Back in the old days, people sometimes avoided basing games purely on the rules because they were strange and clumsy. They were merely a medium to carry the story and the roleplaying.

Nowadays, the rules are simpler, allowing them to become easily bloated with options. Players are defining their characters so much on the rules that roleplaying are often taking a backseat.

Of course, that has nothing to do with videogames! I guess they could change the APR system to "attack every X seconds" without actually changing anything beside the stat dialog screen. It would work something like this:

1 attack / round --> 1 attack every 6 seconds
    3/2 attacks / round --> 1 attack every 4 seconds
    2 attacks / round --> 1 attack every 3 seconds
    5/2 attacks / round --> 1 attack every 2.4 seconds
    3 attacks / round --> 1 attack every 2 seconds
    ETC.
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    I like these things. It's one of the reasons why I did so damn well in math when I was in high school. :D
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    TJ_Hooker said:

Well it doesn't actually list it as "5 1/2" APR, it lists it as "5/2" APR.

Thank you for that, my typing error, it is fixed now.
    ( I do not know why i was wrote 1/2, i was probably to much think on " half attack " )

It's not that complicated. If you have 3/2 you get 1 attack the first round, 2 the next, then 1, then 2 ... I think. 5/2 would be 5 attacks every 2 rounds, or 2.5 attacks per round average. 2 attacks first round, 3 next, 2 next, 3 next etc. ... right?

Yes you are right, but this is not about that.
    WE know how this system work because WE are BG veterans.
    But what new players ?

This little change in numbers can make all that numbers system much more clearly for them.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    The original game listed APR using the ½ symbol on the character sheet, so: 1½, 2½, etc.

I always assumed BG2 listed it as "5/2" because the half symbol or decimals would display badly in the new UI, for whatever reason.

@Aosaw Isn't there an option to auto-pause the game after every round? Not sure how that would really effect APR, but at least it would be a way of demarcating time between rounds.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    @Edvin

Keep in mind the game is coming with an enhanced manual, so you may reserve caution until after we see how detailed it is about attacks per round.
  • TalarashaTalarasha Member Posts: 62
    edited November 2012
    Edvin said:

Yes you are right, but this is not about that.
    WE know how this system work because WE are BG veterans.
    But what new players ?

I suppose that it is not a big deal, considering that people learn rations in what, 8-9 years old? So "5/2 APR is actualy 2,5 APR" looks pretty obviously.

Brude said:

The original game listed APR using the ½ symbol on the character sheet, so: 1½, 2½, etc.

Hah ! I know i saw it somewhere !
    ( Last ten years i was play only tutu or BGT so i was forgot few things from original game )
    Talarasha said:

So "5/2 APR is actualy 2,5 APR" looks pretty obviously.

Exactly my point !!!
    So why we must do it hard way if is there easy way ?
    It is like:

""" Your THACO is = 8 x [ (15 - 7 ) + ( 9 - 16 ) ] """
  • jameskerjamesker Member Posts: 99
    My attacks on my ranger has gone from 3 attacks to 9/2 can someone explain what that means? so I have less than 3 attacks now?
    @jamesker
    With 9/2 you have 4½ ( or 4,5 ) attacks per round.
    I still think that we should change numbers system.

BTW: Thank you for revival my old suggestion.
    thanks for the prompt answer! :) yeah your right its confusing glad my character isn't nerfed then :)
    Think I get it so, you divide the front bracket by the latter bracket, and include halfs so 2 goes into 9 4 and a half times, is that right?