Skip to content

BG 2: Magical Resistance and Spell Protection

HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
edited November 2013 in New Players (NO SPOILERS!)
My approach so far to deal with anything like a Lich or Elder Orb, is to throw a barrage of Breach, Dispel, Remove Magic and basically unload my spellbook at the problem, until I could take it down in melee or with Minute Meteors. That was fine, until I returned from the Underdark, and started running into unnamed Liches around every corner, presumably because the game is scaling up as my party levels up, so where there might once have been a Yuanti-Mage, now there's a Lich with a few Greater Mummies and Skelly Warrior buddies.

So I think I should learn some method to this higher level magical combat, so I can use my spellbook more efficiently, cos I don't like resting after every battle.

My party consists of F/M Charname, Anomen, Aerie, Jaheira, Minsc and Imoen. Highest Mage level is 13, Highest Cleric Level is 16. Highest Druid Level is 13.

So some questions...

1) Am I right in thinking that Magic Resistance is a proportional effect that influences how much damage spells can do? Does it have an effect on saves vs spells? (I assume that depends on Saving Throws, which is something different and affected by Greater Mallison). I know I can lower it with Lower Resistance, is there anything else I can do to reduce an enemy's Magic Resistance.

2) If an enemy has innate immunity to weapons of a certain level of enchantment, like say a Lesser Demon Lord is immune to +4 or lower, is there anything you can do about that? Is it related to his Magic Resistance?

3) Instead of throwing Breach, Dispel and Remove Magic in a fairly random order, what is 'proper' order I should use such spells? Would it help if I used Greater Mallison and/or Lower Resistance first?

Any other advice or tips on how to combat Liches, Dragons or other such nasties, and specifically how to strip them of their defences, is much appreciated! :)

ps:

4) Oh yeah, is there any way to get around having to manually cast all ur protection spells after each 'rest'. It gets a bit tedious to have to cast Chaotic Commands, Resist Fear, Prot from Evil, Spirit Armor and Stone Skin at the start of every session, and that's just the long term protection spells! At the start of battles I usually do Chant, Defensive Harmony, Mirror Image and Draw Upon Holy Might... these things are so routine I wish they could be programmed automatically!

Post edited by Heindrich on

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    @ryuken87

Thanks for all that!

1) So I totally misunderstood that... thanks for clearing it up.

2) I wish the game gave a bit more information on why an attack isn't working. For a newbie like me, it's not always clear if it is because of a spell protection (I guess most commonly PfMW) or innate immunity to weapon enchantment level.

I usually try to kill enemy mages with Charname's Celestial Fury and/or Anomen's Flail of Ages. I guess all those Dispels I've been flinging at liches and demons have only succeeded in stripping my party of buffs lol

I've seen people say that Liches have immunity to Breach because they got immunity to level 5 spells and lower... but I swear I've managed to strip protections like PfMW from liches using exactly that. How else have I managed to kill them? I don't have access to higher level penetration spells like Pierce Magic, and most lich battles involve me starting off unable to hurt a lich, and then slowly degrading his defences, killing the Mislead copy and eventually hacking/bludgeoning him to death with Celestial Fury and/or FoA. I'm kinda confused... is my game bugged? If so... how else are u supposed to take down a Lich relatively early in the game?!
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

@ryuken87

I usually try to kill enemy mages with Charname's Celestial Fury and/or Anomen's Flail of Ages. I guess all those Dispels I've been flinging at liches and demons have only succeeded in stripping my party of buffs lol

There is a lvl3 spell specifically for removing effects the only affects enemies. Can't remember it name.
    @CrevsDaak
    It's called Remove Magic. I use that too, but I guess that also does nothing vs high level enemies like Liches.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Secret Word? Off the top of my head.

@CrevsDaak
    It's called Remove Magic. I use that too, but I guess that also does nothing vs high level enemies like Liches.

I do not know if the chances are similar or not.
    @Decado No, that is useless in BG1, too :P
    And, Ruby Ray of Reversal + Breach are a lot more convincing than Spellstrike.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    There are numerous ways of being "protected", starting with the most basic and getting more complex.

1) Magic resistance and Saves.
    Magic resistance is a flat % chance that harmful spells will fail to work on this character. It can be lowered with lower resistance. Saves reduce or negate certain effects of a spell, and can be reduced with Doom and Greater Malison, spells may also have bonuses or penalties built it. While good saves and MR are bloody annoying they're still a % chance, and you're better off getting rid of spell and combat protections.

2) Combat protections.
    Mirror Image, Stoneskin, Protection from Magical Weapons and so on all fit in here. Combat protections are why your melee are swinging and having no effect. Breach can get rid of these.

3) Spell protections.
    Spell deflection, Spell turning, Spell trap, Spell shield, Globe of Invulnerability and various minor versions are all in this category. They stop you (or the enemy) being Breached, and are a way to ensure you (or your enemy) can't lose their combat protections. You'll need a Removal spell to get through half of these, something like Ruby Ray of Reversal, Khelben's Warding Whip etc.

4) Invisibility.
    There are numerous ways of becoming invisible, including Mislead and Improved Invisibility. If an enemy is not *fully visibile* (i.e. no being half-transparent) then you cannot target them with any single-target spell. You need True Seeing, Detect Illusions or some other way to get around this.

The best approach is to start by getting rid of invisibility & illusions, then spell protections, then cast Breach, then melee them. Each layer prevents the removal of the one below it, and combat protections are the ones you really want gone.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563

I've seen people say that Liches have immunity to Breach because they got immunity to level 5 spells and lower... but I swear I've managed to strip protections like PfMW from liches using exactly that. How else have I managed to kill them? I don't have access to higher level penetration spells like Pierce Magic, and most lich battles involve me starting off unable to hurt a lich, and then slowly degrading his defences, killing the Mislead copy and eventually hacking/bludgeoning him to death with Celestial Fury and/or FoA. I'm kinda confused... is my game bugged? If so... how else are u supposed to take down a Lich relatively early in the game?!

Like I said it's some liches, it's been too long and don't remember which ones.
    edited November 2013
    @Corvino

Thanks! That's really clear and illuminating!

Also, does Breach work on a % basis? I'm just wondering on occasions where I've had to use multiple Breaches before I could hurt something, whether it was because I got lucky, or if his spell protections simply ran out, seeing as I haven't had the ability to do anything about spell protections up to now.

By the way, could you possibly shed some light on the Lich immunity to Breach uncertainty? Are they supposed to be immune to all lv5 spells and lower at least?
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438

Dispel Magic/Remove Magic are %-based, with that % starting at 50% and decreasing for every level that the caster of the spell you're trying to dispel is higher than the caster trying to dispel it. Seeing as how most tough spell casting enemies (like liches) will usually be a much higher level than you, you're better off using specific protection-removing spells (which work automatically) when fighting them, unless you have no choice.

@Corvino

Also, does Breach work on a % basis? I'm just wondering on occasions where I've had to use multiple Breaches before I could hurt something, whether it was because I got lucky, or if his spell protections simply ran out, seeing as I haven't had the ability to do anything about spell protections up to now.

Well there's a spell called Spell Shield which negates the first protection-removing spell (e.g. breach) that is cast. So if you had to cast 2 Breaches, maybe the first one was absorbed by a spell shield.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited November 2013
    Breach is not % based. It removes all the spells listed in its spell description if they're active in one shot.

Some spell protections absorb or reflect a total number of spell levels. For example Spell Deflection absorbs 10 levels of spells, but only if the caster is single-targeted. So it could absorb 10 Chromatic orbs or 2 Breaches before expiring, but fireball or dispel wouldn't be deflected as they're AOE. So if an enemy had Spell Deflection in place and you cast Breach 3 times then the first two would be absorbed but the third would be effective.

Liches are indeed immune to Breach in BG2 vanilla. I'm not sure about BG2:EE yet. So you just need to wallop them enough times to get through the stoneskin.

*Edit* As for Dispel/Remove Magic and Liches, I have a bad feeling that they may well be immune to the Arcane and Divine spell versions as they cast as a level 3 spell. Inquisitors cast their special dispel as a level 0 spell which bypasses Lich and Demilich immunity though, which makes them very valuable indeed.
  • NoonNoon Member Posts: 202

@ryuken87

PfMW (and others like mantle etc...) only lasts 4 rounds which is very short (but can be long enough to be slaughtered). If you can survive long enough, a lich can't do a lot against a fury of blows.
    Try to find a high level spell (7-8) with AOE to disturb their casting, and you will find them easy.
    Liches > Turn Undead.
    Vampires > Turn Undead.
    Shadows >Turn Undead.
    Skeletons >Turn Undead.
    Then...
    Final bosses > Thief traps, lots of them.
    ToB hordes > Greater Deathblow with Frag Grenade and Big Metal Rod.
    Noon said:

Try to find a high level spell (7-8) with AOE to disturb their casting, and you will find them easy.

Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting, MANY of them, like many Cloudkills for SoA mages.
    Then, Greater Mallison and then Chromatic Orb when you're past mage lvl12.
    Just search for "cheese guides". :P
  • NoonNoon Member Posts: 202
    If liches are immune to level 1-5, "Greater Mallison and then Chromatic Orb" shouldn't even make them blink an eye.
    Anyway, if he is past chapter 6, he shouldn't need cheese tactics.
    The other thing you'll notice about liches is that they usually follow one of two patterns following a Timestop. They either use Pf Evil, Gate and Meteor Swarm or they use the three Symbol spells. This makes them easier to defend against if you can't disrupt them.
  • SilvarenSilvaren Member Posts: 178
    If I'm correct, Liches may be hurt by weapons which add elemental damages (Stonefire Battleaxe can buy in Cooper Coronet for example or excellent Flail of Ages from Darnise Stronghold), even if they are protect by Protection from Magic Weapons, Stone Skin etc., elemental damages still passed through (in opose to spells dealing elemental damages). At least, it was in original BG2.

In case of spells, clerics have Storm of Vengeance which affects only enemies it seems to passed through a lot types of protection. Mages and sorcerers have Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting which is probably the best AoE in game, second one is Dragon's Breath. Both works well in battle against liches.

I also recommend Karsomir (along with Keldorn, who has incredibly usefull quick cast true sight at will).
    @Silvaren Elemental damage from a weapon will go through a Stoneskin but PFMW will outright block the weapon (unless it happens to be non-magical, I think the level 1/2 druid spell to summon a flaming sword is non-magical, but liches are immune to non-magical weapons anyway).
  • SilvarenSilvaren Member Posts: 178
    I don't remember how it works in game, but can remember many situations when I've used weapons (such Firstone Battleaxe) and I could actualy harm liches - in fact only with additional elemental damages, but still. It affect also on adamantine golems and even clay golems (without using blunt weapons for clay golems).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2013
    As someone mentioned, liches are immune to all spells below level 6, which includes Breach and is one of the worst design elements in high-level caster combat. There is simply no point to spending the time taking a lich's spell defenses down. To make matters worse, liches are innately immune to normal weapons, so Protection from Magic Weapons makes them immune to ALL weapons. Edit: Note that this includes all special effects from weapon hits, such as the dispel from Carsomyr/Staff of the Magi/Ir'revrykal, and elemental damage from Spectral Brand/Club of Detonation/what-have-you. This is different from Stoneskin, which only protects from physical damage (which is why you can dispel Stoneskin with Carsomyr, and break the caster's concentration through Stoneskin with the Flail of Ages and so on).

Typical fight flow:

1) Lich becomes hostile; instantly triggers Mislead, Protection from Magical Weapons, Spell Shield (or Spell Trap)

2) You wait for True Seeing to trigger (assuming you had it pre-buffed), then try to use a Ruby Ray, Warding Whip or Spellstrike to take down the magical protection. Note Secret Word does not work, as it's a level 4 spell. Even if you manage to get its spell protection off, your melee and archers still can't hit it and it's still immune to almost all of the 'direct damage' spells (Magic Missile, Flame Arrow, etc).

3) Lich casts Time Stop, and then goes with Meteor Swarm/Protection from Evil/Gate, or possibly Death Spell/Symbol:Stun/Symbol:Fear

4) Lich's Protection from Magical Weapons expires, and its Contingency trigger another one.

5) Lich starts casting Abi-Dalzim's, Finger of Death, Wail of the Banshee, etc. Eventually you die or the lich runs out of spells.

Now, that can get aggravating. The best way to avoid this mess is to wait until you've got a mage that can cast level 8 spells and hammer him with Abi-Dalzim's. Later on Comet is a faster alternative, although some of the liches (specifically elemental ones) will put up a Fireshield:Red which prevents most of Comet's fire damage. Either way, this bypasses all of his combat defenses and interrupts his casting to boot. Alternatively, it's a lot easier for solo folks - just use a Protection from Undead scroll; he won't notice you're there, and you can melee him to death without him casting a single spell.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on