Skip to content

Keeping your reputation below 20?

I've got Hexxat in my party. I wouldn't want to lose her. Is there any reasonably sane way of keeping my reputation from reaching 20? Doing the quests will almost inevitably raise it all the way, and I wouldn't want that to happen.

No mods, please. Also, I don't want to start slaughtering random orphans in the slums, for instance. Taking Dorn or Viconia into my group is also not an option. Is there anything left?

Comments

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    If you kill Boo your rep goes down to 1
    I know you said no mods but there is a really good one that makes a lot of sense, and requires some tradeoff.

It adds a bard who, for a hefty sum of gold, will spread stories about how dangerous your character is, thus decreasing your reputation without you actually doing anything villainous.

I think its a great idea, and the fee makes it have a real trade-off rather than make it feel like a "cheat"
  • AkihikoAkihiko Member Posts: 213
    If you have access to the harper stronghold in the docks district for the quest to find Monty, you can slaughter the harpers within for a -1 rep hit each. Of course, you gotta be okay with killing Jaheira, because she'll turn on you.
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    I like killing Nalia's aunt when I want a rep drop.
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    There are also some quests involving negative rep.. such as taking the ransom from Welther.. no bloodshed involved :) !!
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    @Kurumi: Darn, I already missed that one. I mean, I did it the nice way. Oh dear. Lost those pantalettes (or whatever) as well.
    edited November 2013
    enqenq said:

I like killing Nalia's aunt when I want a rep drop.

True (I know from experience)
    I can't explain why though...
    Kurumi said:

There are also some quests involving negative rep.. such as taking the ransom from Welther.. no bloodshed involved :) !!

Good catch! I think it was a bit easier in baldur's gate I. like that silly dryad in the forest with her tree. is it really evil to defend two dimwitted lumberjacks trying to cut down a tree from a person who would attack them? I mean dude... its a tree... in a forest.
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    edited November 2013

@Kurumi: Darn, I already missed that one. I mean, I did it the nice way. Oh dear. Lost those pantalettes (or whatever) as well.

Oh.. then perhaps you could try shoplifting. Remember to get a merchant that you don't want to shop from later ;) - Fences work well in that regard !!

Ah yes.. and of course after Spellhold it's pretty simple.. a 'certain' transformation will give you neg. rep. every time..
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    basically you are going to have to kill one innocent person to keep it down, although if I recall correctly, one of the quests you do for Bodhi ( if you take her side) has an evil option ( it might be quest 2, don't remember) and your rep will drop from doing it I believe
    I'm playing a neutral character, but the game is built in such a way that unless you actually go out and do overly evil things (such as the ones mentioned above), you're going to end up a frigging do-gooder with a reputation of 20. A bit of a pity, that.

I've sometimes had evil characters in my party before, but because one of them was always Viconia, my reputation never went above 18. I thought that was a funny (and nice) detail: once you take the drow into your party, you lose 2 reputation points in a unique way: your reputation maximum becomes 18. At least that's how I remember it, from way back, when I traveled with Viconia.

No need for Viccy this time, I'm the main cleric myself.
  • MillardkillmooreMillardkillmoore Member Posts: 150
    Turn into the slayer. It drops your rep by 2. Slayer form is also a great way to beat Kangaxx, so you'll be killing two birds with one stone.
  • RyofuRyofu Member Posts: 268
    i just kill a random peon somewhere and drop my rep by alot :p
  • MorrandirrMorrandirr Member Posts: 60

once you take the drow into your party, you lose 2 reputation points in a unique way: your reputation maximum becomes 18. At least that's how I remember it, from way back, when I traveled with Viconia.

Does this mean that Viconia will never leave the party due to high repuation?

• KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    No mods, no slaughter, no rep dropping characters... Hmmmm...

I don't really remember that many ways in BG2 to actually DROP your reputation... Other than turning into the Slayer and while in the Underdark in the drow city if you want to watch slaves getting killed off that costs some reputation too...
    @Morrandir:

Does this mean that Viconia will never leave the party due to high repuation?

As far as I know, yes. My memory may be faulty, though.
  • althoralthor Member Posts: 67
    Your memory is faulty.
    If you have 20 rep, Vic will join and drop your rep down to 18, but that isn't max.
    As soon as you get another +1 rep, you go up to 19 and Viconia bails.
    That is the reason you want to keep your rep below 19. Dorn drops your rep as well.

I get my rep to 18, then go kill an innocent locked inside a house. Drops my rep down to 10. That gives me plenty of room to build it back up without breaking 18.

Back 7-8 years ago, I knew several (non-violent) ways to drop rep. Unfortunately over the years of not playing, I have forgotten.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    edited November 2013
    Go to the Graveyard District, get the Buried Alive quest, kill the thugs who abducted Tirdir, and then keep Lady Elgea prisoner until you get the Silver Pantaloons as her ransom. This will drop your reputation by 2 points.

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/Walkthrough2/SoA/chapter-2/quests/buried-alive.php

From chapter 4 onwards, become the Slayer for a -2 to reputation per time.

In Ust Natha, go to the second floor of the tavern and pay to watch slaves getting killed for 100gp and -1 to reputation each time.
  • MorrandirrMorrandirr Member Posts: 60
    edited November 2013
    Will Viconia even leave if she's charname's romance?

Generally I think that the concept of companions leaving the party due to low/high reputation is one of BGs few weaknesses. Imho it's oversimplified.

Think I will help myself with the Keeper if I run into this problem.
  • hansolohansolo Member Posts: 136

I know you said no mods but there is a really good one that makes a lot of sense, and requires some tradeoff.

It adds a bard who, for a hefty sum of gold, will spread stories about how dangerous your character is, thus decreasing your reputation without you actually doing anything villainous.

I think its a great idea, and the fee makes it have a real trade-off rather than make it feel like a "cheat"

Sounds nice. Would you mind to post a link to above mod?

• althoralthor Member Posts: 67

Generally I think that the concept of companions leaving the party due to low/high reputation is one of BGs few weaknesses. Imho it's oversimplified.

Think I will help myself with the Keeper if I run into this problem.

Yes, romance does not stop her from leaving.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208

Yes, your romantic interests leave if reputation becomes too high/low.

I agree - I don't know why a reasonably intelligent evil character would want a bad reputation.

There is a mod called the Virtue Mod which changes how reputation works but I don't know if it has been ported to the Enhanced Editions.

http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=content&task=blogcategory&id=107&Itemid=82/