Skip to content

Party members that fight each other?

Comments

• KastianKastian Member Posts: 30
    Spoiler:
    Edwin and Valygar can escalate to violence.
    Haer'Dalis only really attacks you under specific circumstances, effectively he needs to be ahead in the romancing Aerie department, if she has already fallen for Charname, she tells him that, and he says he is disappointed, but says its nice when friends find love, then comments about maybe one day he will perform at her wedding. So having Haer'Dalis and Aerie in your party is fine, if you recruited Aerie first and had her around for any real length of time it probably won't happen.
    Anomen and Jan also argue alot, i've not personally played a Chaotic Neutral Anomen with Jan, but it certainly seems possible that he would attack Jan after being mocked and attacking anyone else.
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    Kastian said:

Spoiler:
    Haer'Dalis only really attacks you under specific circumstances, effectively he needs to be ahead in the romancing Aerie department, if she has already fallen for Charname, she tells him that, and he says he is disappointed, but says its nice when friends find love, then comments about maybe one day he will perform at her wedding. So having Haer'Dalis and Aerie in your party is fine, if you recruited Aerie first and had her around for any real length of time it probably won't happen.
    Anomen and Jan also argue alot, i've not personally played a Chaotic Neutral Anomen with Jan, but it certainly seems possible that he would attack Jan after being mocked and attacking anyone else.

Or right, forgot about those two, okay added Edwin and Valygar.

Yeah, I'll take Haer'Dalis off the list, it seems like that doesn't come up often, and it's not really two different party members fighting eachother.
  • KastianKastian Member Posts: 30
    Although even if it does eventually escalate to violence, as i said im not sure. Anomen and Jan are worth having together, honestly i've never liked Anomen, and Jan responds pretty much in the way I would wish to respond, with hilarious mockery.
    jackjack
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    Korgan and Keldorn don't fight.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I had planned on taking Sarevok along with Rasaad in my Good run. Is it possible to avoid hostilities between them? I'd be disappointed if it isn't.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Madhax said:

I had planned on taking Sarevok along with Rasaad in my Good run. Is it possible to avoid hostilities between them? I'd be disappointed if it isn't.

Apparently it depends on Sarevok's alignment. If you out him on the road to redemption and turn him CG then they won't fight.

• SylphSylph Member Posts: 210
    Huh.
    I've had Rasaad and evil-Sarevok in my group throughout all of ToB and they never so much as acknowledged that the other exists, let alone tried to kill each other
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Aerie and Korgan won't fight as such. But Korgan keeps teasing her until she gives you 24 hours to choose which one of them you want to keep in your party. 24 hours later, Korgan will gleefully remind Aerie of her threat, and she walks out.
    booinyoureyes
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    edited November 2013

Kastian said:

Spoiler:

Or right, forgot about those two, okay added Edwin and Valygar.

Yeah, I'll take Haer'Dalis off the list, it seems like that doesn't come up often, and it's not really two different party members fighting eachother.
    Aerie will usually stop you from actually fighting anyway, but in some circumstances one or both them might leave, depending on what you say.
    Sylph said:

Huh.

I've had Rasaad and evil-Sarevok in my group throughout all of ToB and they never so much as acknowledged that the other exists, let alone tried to kill each other
    Don't know about those two, but a lot of these things are random, and won't necessarily happen every time. And if they do, you can sometimes just reload and they won't.
  • MorrandirrMorrandirr Member Posts: 60
    Doesn't this mechanics take Charnames charisma into accout? Thought I heard about this somewhere...
    ThacoBell
    I haven't had it happen. But one of the devs said it could happen depending on the alignment issue. It's possible it just never triggered, though, since other than immediate conflicts like Kel/Dorn and Edwin/Neera where the presence of one can break the quest of another the conflicts tend to be a bit random.
  • althoralthor Member Posts: 67
    edited November 2013
    I actually loved the interaction between Hex and Minsc.

I also like that Hex is trying really hard to fit in with the group.
    uglyducklynn
    By telling them that she sneaks out at night and kills people... a curiously badly calculated move on her part. I mean, Nalia, for example, considers it her responsibility to look after the lower classes, so she might have a tiny problem with their random murder.
    ThacoBell
    Coutelier said:

By telling them that she sneaks out at night and kills people... a curiously badly calculated move on her part. I mean, Nalia, for example, considers it her responsibility to look after the lower classes, so she might have a tiny problem with their random murder.

It's not random. She needs to do it to survive (remember, she never wanted to become a vampire). I don't think there are "vegetarian" vampires in FR, so I think she actually needs to kill people to continue living. Still evil, yeah, but a bit more understandable.

Coutelier said:

It's not random. She needs to do it to survive (remember, she never wanted to become a vampire). I don't think there are "vegetarian" vampires in FR, so I think she actually needs to kill people to continue living. Still evil, yeah, but a bit more understandable.
    Unfortunately, that doesn't mean that any good aligned characters are going to be alright with it, even if she is only killing some unnamed commoners.
    elementThacoBell
  • TenreccTenrecc Member Posts: 265
    Great thread, I was curious about the same. Was actually planning on having Neera and Edwin in the same group (since there are most new evil chars I'll be all evil, and Edwin is the treat that usually comes with that decision... also he's fun and interesting ^^) but I guess that's quite obviously not going to happen. Hah, so bad of me. :D
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited November 2013
    pretty much all of the good npcs should want to kill Hexxat, certainly the two druids and propably the blade and Neera . she is after all a monster that will all ways kill others

personally i don't think they thought her out very well

CoutelierThacoBellleeux
    Tenrecc said:

Great thread, I was curious about the same. Was actually planning on having Neera and Edwin in the same group (since there are most new evil chars I'll be all evil, and Edwin is the treat that usually comes with that decision... also he's fun and interesting ^^) but I guess that's quite obviously not going to happen. Hah, so bad of me. :D

I just dropped Edwin while I did Neera's quests. They aren't that long, and you don;t even have to use Neera for most of them, to be honest. Though a lot of the side quests might be part to justify RP-wise as an evil character (like 'collect this guy's 8 missing cats').
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Coutelier said:

My Player Character always seems to attack SAERELITH'S FACE. I don't know why, but you can't prevent it, even if he's Lawful Good.

Is that one of those mod NPC's? Is it the fifteen year old you can romance, or is that someone else? I don't really play with mod NPC's... that's probably why.
    Yes... yes she is. Pedo Bhaalspawn mode activated

Coutelier said:

My Player Character always seems to attack SAERELITH'S FACE. I don't know why, but you can't prevent it, even if he's Lawful Good.

Is that one of those mod NPC's? Is it the fifteen year old you can romance, or is that someone else? I don't really play with mod NPC's... that's probably why.
    'Twas verily the truest of loves the moment she laid her eyes upon thee. 'Twas foretold to her in prophecies most glorious in the temples of Mount Celestia itself.

She also has a transdimensional stalker who dimension-doors in while you rest to put flowers on her pillow.

I got these from a Let's Play I read some of. I should note I have never played this mod, but what i saw was the most golden of unintended comedy.
    CoutelierDinsdalePiranhabooinyoureyesThacoBell
    edited November 2013
    element said:

pretty much all of the good npcs should want to kill Hexxat, certainly the two druids and propably the blade and Neera . she is after all a monster that will all ways kill others

For me anyway (I've not been through every NPC's banter yet), a lot of the problem comes from her just admitting to Aerie that she sneaks out and kills. If Aerie knows, other characters are going to know, either because she's going to chat or have chatted to them as well or because they're also bright enough to figure it out themselves (like Nalia and Imoen). If that banter hadn't been there, then maybe all the rest could more easily be forgiven, and we could have just imagined whatever we wanted, like maybe Hex just took the chance to feed off all the many bad guys you have to fight all the time anyway.

Or, I don't know if there are 'vegetarian' vampires either, or if FR vampires can survive off just animal blood (or if avariel are vegetarian either, but in the circus Aerie would obviously be used to living close to livestock and they'd be feeding meat to animals all the time), but if there's any sort of vaguely plausible sounding lie she could concoct, Hex should do that. Don't just go telling everyone that you're a serial killer and then acting surprised when that doesn't go down too well; even the average psychopath has a better grasp of people's emotions than that. And in Aerie's case, it doesn't matter if she really believes it or not, so long as she has a little bit of doubt she'll give anyone the benefit of it.

Coutelier said:

Oh, dear god... I mean, what, does the mod include a timer in the corner of the screen so that you're counting down the hours until she's sixteen? No, I don't really want to know...
    Post edited by Coutelier on
    elementThacoBell
  • IIRC, Keldorn and Edwin will fight, but the dialogue that leads to it will only trigger if they're standing very close to each other, which means it may never happen if they're spaced apart in your party formation (quite likely).
  • althoralthor Member Posts: 67
    I play a chaotic good character because their decisions fit my real life morals the closest.
    Other than just standing there and watching someone in my group get drained, I have had no problem with Hexxat in my group. I like her in my group, even as a vampire. Yes, I understand she has to feed. She does it when I am unaware of her activities and we can keep it like that.

In the big picture, I am hoping her quest leads to her being turned back. Keeping her alive until then is a necessary evil. She didn't choose it, and from her quest we see that not having babies is something that hits her deep.
    By the way, can someone confirm that the new characters doesn't fight each other? (Rasaad/Hexxat or Rasaad/Dorn are the one's I'm thinking about mainly). Would love to see all the new things in a single playthrough... both BG1 and BG2 (ee)
  • DisgruntlerDisgruntler Member Posts: 100
    But aren't the arguments and the following fight not also entertaining new content?

Rasaad cautions CHARNAME against romantic involvement with Hexxat. Don't know if they fight.
    It can definitely be entertaining - that's one of the reasons why I want to mix the alignments. But it's also quite a nuisance if you have bothered with gearing and getting to know two characters quite a bit, and then they decide to fight to the death. I love them to bicker and take shots at each other, not go all berzerk combat mode.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    element said:

I sincerely doubt Haer'Dalis would have a problem with Hexxat, honestly. Why? For one, she's beautiful. Even if she swings the other way, Haer'Dalis is a pretty big flirt. For two, being a Tiefling, I'm sure he of all people could relate to presumptions of the masses regarding *what* he is. For three, he's Chaotic Neutral; he by alignment decree shouldn't give a damn at all.

Cernd and Jaheira would consider her an unbalance to nature, but one to be watched before being killed. Neera? Would she even care? Probably not at all unless Hexxat started flirting with her.
    JuliusBorisov
    Maybe we should make a new topic if anyone feels the party's reactions are inconsistent with Hexxat? As it is, she makes a lot of NPCs uncomfortable, but she will only end up fighting with Mazzy, Anomen, and Keldorn.

Maybe we should make a new topic if anyone feels the party's reactions are inconsistent with Hexxat? As it is, she makes a lot of NPCs uncomfortable, but she will only end up fighting with Mazzy, Anomen, and Keldorn.

It seems like she was designed exclusively for evil parties, and a number of her remaining interactions with other NPC's don't seem fully thought through as to whether they're really believable or in character, and some just raise a lot of problems and questions. Although she also has potential conflicts with Valygar and with Aerie in ToB. Although if the later goes ahead she should definitely have to fight Minsc as well (realistically most of the others as well of course, although I can actually see Haer'Dalis leaving it alone; she does dump him). Imoen's reaction to her should also be very different
    booinyoureyeskcwiseThacoBell
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I have yet to see a convincing argument as to why a good player character would even take Hexxat in their party after she basically slaughters someone they were trying to help
    kcwiseButtercheeseThacoBell