Skip to content

Why does Nalia get such hate?

13»

Comments

• CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    edited November 2013

althor said:

Now that we have Hexxat and Neera, Imoen and Nalia both have lost some value.
    In fact, I took Yoshimo to spellhold with Hexxat. Imoen will be redundant in my group of Hex and Edwin. As soon as I make it back to Amn, I will be booting Imoen.

Unless you are concerned with quality writing. Hexxat is mechanically a joy, but is in my opinion a very poorly written character who relies on her race and class to have any kind of validity. Nalia is a much more nuanced critique of morality, naivety and intention, especially when you get to Throne of Bhaal and her personality seems to be turning in a troublingly cynical and Edwin-y direction! Every has their own preferences in writing of course, but from my point of view I find that Nalia has the most intellectual writing among the good-aligned female characters, with Mazzy coming in second. Aerie is painfully simplistic, overly-virginal and virtuous and for that reason much more irritating to be around than Nalia, I believe, because there is no substance to her writing.
    I'd have to disagree; Aerie is a remarkably well written character. Obviously she starts off as just a metaphor for abuse and then recovery. But when you look through her dialogue you start to notice little things, like her talking about her capture and saying it was her own fault which is a very real and believable way people cope with situations where they're trapped; they try to give themselves the illusion of having control of the situation. Telling yourself it's your own fault means there's a way you can change it. And inspite of, or to spite, all the things that have happened to her, she's determined not to be a beast.

But then I don't think there are any really badly written characters in the game.

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Coutelier said:

althor said:

Now that we have Hexxat and Neera, Imoen and Nalia both have lost some value.
    In fact, I took Yoshimo to spellhold with Hexxat. Imoen will be redundant in my group of Hex and Edwin. As soon as I make it back to Amn, I will be booting Imoen.

Unless you are concerned with quality writing. Hexxat is mechanically a joy, but is in my opinion a very poorly written character who relies on her race and class to have any kind of validity. Nalia is a much more nuanced critique of morality, naivety and intention, especially when you get to Throne of Bhaal and her personality seems to be turning in a troublingly cynical and Edwin-y direction! Every has their own preferences in writing of course, but from my point of view I find that Nalia has the most intellectual writing among the good-aligned female characters, with Mazzy coming in second. Aerie is painfully simplistic, overly-virginal and virtuous and for that reason much more irritating to be around than Nalia, I believe, because there is no substance to her writing.
    I'd have to disagree; Aerie is a remarkably well written character. Obviously she starts off as just a metaphor for abuse and then recovery. But when you look through her dialogue you start to notice little things, like her talking about her capture and saying it was her own fault which is a very real and believable way people cope with situations where they're trapped; they try to give themselves the illusion of having control of the situation. Telling yourself it's your own fault means there's a way you can change it. And inspite of, or to spite, all the things that have happened to her, she's determined not to be a beast.

But then I don't think there are any really badly written characters in the game.

I agree, like and find this comment insightful.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    the only bad thing about aeris is she cant wear armour, anomen is annoying me and i hear keldorn is a best of a melee dude so im thinking about getting him, however if i do i cant take viconia because of obvious drow hate, and i'd like to take viconia but she isnt that great in combat and her magic resistance means she can resist healing spells (or she did in BG1 ive not tried yet)...so allowing to put armor on aerie would be cool as she would be likeable, armored and a cleric. i didnt really need her for a mage so i would be fine for her spell casting to be disabled. but back on topic,

i do wish nalia had more to do, aside from the mission you meet her for and the funeral for her father (nothing really game changing so i don't count it as spoilers) and her other mini quest which only lasts for 10 minutes ish shes just.....there, she doesn't really talk to anyone in the party (that ive noticed and ive kept her since i did hexxat's quest) so she is just beginning to bore me
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Magic resistance in BG2 won't stop healing spells.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    elminster said:

Magic resistance in BG2 won't stop healing spells.

good that annoyed the hell out of me