Skip to content

Who's Your Favorite NPC?

QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
Simply what the title says. Which is your favorite Baldur's Gate NPC and why, whether it be for stats and/or personality traits?

This includes BG1 and BG2. Some of us might have a favorite in BG1 and a different favorite in BG2, and if that is the case feel free to share both.

--------------------------
I'll start off.

In BG1 -
Kivan is my favorite because of many things. For one, he is a badass but he doesn't seem like a forced badass. I've seen too many franchises that had a character who was supposedly a "badass" but it seemed completely forced so it didn't work. (e.g. Shadow from Sonic the Hedgehog)

His badass isn't forced because he is a very capable character, and he isn't overly rude (except to Viconia!). He seems like the "strong silent type" but without being unbelievable. I mean, his wife got killed, and he's a vengeance-monger. Of course he's gonna be a little quiet.

It's also funny that, despite his Charisma of 8, nearly everyone seems to be impressed with his capability. Even Xan. Oh, and Safana hits on him, which is good fun.

I like how versatile his stats are. With his strength being the third-best in the game, he is obviously far from weak. Slap a Strength tome on him and he is a legendary killing machine. His Dexterity is 17, which means he gets a good bonus, though not perfect. Hand that bro a Dexterity tome and you can rest easy knowing he has the full bonus. His Constitution seems frustrating as he is 1 point short of a hit point bonus, but thankfully, with that 14 Con you can either give him a tomb and he gets a HP bonus, or you can slip on the Claw of Kazgaroth without having to worry about any penalties.

In BG2 -
Viconia! With a Wisdom of 18 she is a fantastic cleric, and that 19 Dexterity is always appreciated.

Past statistics, her personality really shines in this game. BG2 had a good habit of doing that. For me, romancing her was a blast. She is such a babe, but also makes you feel kind of threatened whilst seducing her ... or is she seducing you? Hmm. Things to ponder.

--------------------------

Comments

• Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I'm really fond of Imoen and always have her in my party. But apart from her it is definitely Alora. I love her voice and the way she tries to cheer everybody up. Anyone who is that happy to be in my company is alright with me.
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    Tiax for funny lines in BG1
    Jan in BG2 for funny lines and useful special abilities/thieving skills and some spells.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    BG1 - Alora, she's just so likeable.
    BG2 - Viconia, I was fascinated by her tales of the underdark (the first I'd heard of it).
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

I'm really fond of Imoen and always have her in my party. But apart from her it is definitely Alora. I love her voice and the way she tries to cheer everybody up. Anyone who is that happy to be in my company is alright with me.

I love Imoen in BG1, she's super happy and non-caring but she also senses dread at times, which makes her believable as she is a kid.

I never much cared for her personality in BG2, though. How about you?
  • odeeodee Member Posts: 87
    Bg1 - khalid
    Bg2 - mazzy
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited August 2012
    @Quartz

Yes I agree. She's great in BG1 but I really didn't like what they did to her in BG2. I like her so much I find it quite hard seeing her miserable and actually try to get out of Irenicus's dungeon without resting so she doesn't get more freaked out.

I think the reason I will never love SoA the way I did Baldur's Gate is because first they changed Imoen's personality and then they took her away from me. And made it so it was impossible to get her back without doing a whole load of sidequests. You seem to spend half the game without her. And it irritates me that having taken her away they feel the need to provide you with Nalia, who is essentially a cut price copy of Imoen, to tide you over until you get her back.

Funnily enough, I'm really not keen on either of the official Imoen portraits. In BG1 she looks far too grown up and sophisticated and in BG2 she just looks so sad. I usually replace her with an IWD portrait (which isn't ideal because she's got the wrong colour clothes and hair).

I think it is fair to say that I am a little bit obsessed about Imoen.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    I don't want to pick just one name. I love Minsc, Valygar, Imoen, Aerie, Jaheira, Cernd, Keldorn very much.

Minsc - He is always positive, strong and above all good. He is true friend, and Boo... Boo is the bravest hamster I know.
    Valygar - He is such a trustworthy companion and friend. I like his loyalthy and moral.
    Imoen - Well, she is my(protagonist) sister so she is dear to my(protagonist) heart.
    Aerie - She is very versatile with both mage and cleric spells and that combined with her charm makes her lovely.
    Jaheira - Old friends are always the dearest ones...
    Cernd - There is something tragic about this character. He is the strong and silent type in my opinion. His ending cinematic is somehow tragically beautiful to me.
    Keldorn - Who doesn't love Keldorn, with his iron will and devotion.

There are other charecters that are awesome, too. I'll leave to you to mention them. :)
    @Permidion_Stark Yeah, I hear ya.
    Keldorn - Who doesn't love Keldorn, with his iron will and devotion.
    *Raises hand* I don't! :D I prefer Ajantis by a long shot, he's just a kid trying to be a perfect little boy and it's a fun personality. Keldorn annoys me, and his stats just aren't anywhere near good enough to keep him around. I have him in the party for two seconds and he flips about me daring to "harbor a drow."

As for what you say on Cernd; I really need to pick that guy up and experiment with him more. I wish his rolls weren't so awful, which discourages me using him, but... Yeah. I should do it.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Something about bg1 makes me play through with the ingame npcs much less often than I do in bg2
    Something about bg1 makes me play through with the ingame npcs much less often than I do in bg2
    Funny, I'm the exact opposite. Sure in BG2 each character has more depth, but there are just so few of them that I don't exactly get to mix it up as much as I can (and do) in BG1.
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    BG1 - Viconia 10/10, but edwin, kagain, xzar, montaron are 9/10
    BG2 - Viconia 10/10, but edwin, korgan, sarevok, imoen are 9/10
  • KenKen Member Posts: 226
    BG1 - Korgan, I like the fact that he is just a stereotypical greedy dwarf without any epic story behind him
    BG2 - Keldorn, love how he struggles to be "good and rightius"

Overall, very hard to decide, they are all rather nice.. But I dislike Cernd, Mazzy and Imoen. A shame so many of the NPC's in BG1 come so late in the game..
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    BG1 - Minsc, Viconia
    BG2 - Minsc, Jan Jansen, Viconia, Jaheira (she is better without Khalid)
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    BG1 - Xzar and Montaron, they're such an awesome dysfunctional duo. Xan is great for morale (I'm a sucker for people who tell me that I'm getting everyone killed).
    BG2 - Viconia is very well done, especially the romance. Keldorn is an awesome paladin, upholding his virtue while not rubbing it in your face. 'Lead by example'. Plus, very few games feature an elderly chap as an NPC.

Honourable Mention: Jaheira. I almost always have her in the group, I feel so bad sending her away, it's like I'd send away an intregal game part.
    Imoen was chipper and awesome in BG1, despite having no dialogues. A shame BG2 mistreated her so, it could've done with a little less grim doooom.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I'm shaking my head at all of those who forgot the ultimate NPC. Boo!
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    For BG1 i cant decide. Bioware really did a good job there. The major factor deciding who i like the most is the acquiring time. Sure Alora is very cute, but by the time i get to her, the party is already full and complete. So i never actually took her in the party for real. For BG2 strangely i like much less NPC, and can name a crear winner there.

My top3 would be
    BG1: Dynaheir the mythical power, Minsc the wild barbarian, Yeslick the cool guy
    BG2: Viconia the awesome
    Oh god, how I could forget Yeslick?
    I shall drink ten pints of ale in repentance!

Fifteen pints of ale maybe, I have erred most horribly.
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    By Clangeddin's beard! But seriously he is almost in the pain zone of late recruitments already so no wonder people dont mention him often. They really should have just switch him with Khalid. :D
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    I have several, but I will list one of them.

Baldur's Gate II: Lord Jierdan Firkraag

I admit that I knew something was amiss when he offered me 10,000 gold pieces for what seemed like fairly mundane work. I completed my task, got into some serious short-term trouble with the Order of the Radiant Heart, and then "stumbled" upon his manor.

Fighting my way through, I knew that he was far beyond some simple Lord. Once I got past the terror of opening a door and seeing multiple metal golems standing in a row, I thought that Jierdan was a very powerful Wizard...and then I come upon the final chamber.

The final chamber that opened up into a huge cavern with very tall ceilings. I've been gaming long enough to know what this meant. A dragon.

Lo and behold, Firkraag initiates conversation with me before I even see him. Unfortunately for him I had some equipment to deal with dragons, but the fight was not easy.
    Coupling Jaheira and Yeslick may be the best thing ever thought up in the history of ever.

In my head, these two are now unfortunate lovers, kept apart by a political marriage with Khalid. Alas, poor Yeslick heard of his passing too late to seize his chance.
  • AtlanticAtlantic Member Posts: 44
    edited August 2012
    Eldoth- He's a chauvinistic, abusive pig-slob with little going for him other then an unusual (and random) fletching ability and the fact he knows the name of stuff who somehow helps save the Sword Coast from mass genocide... come to think of it, many of the BG1 NPC's are not 'typical' heroes (Kagain, Skie, Qualye, etc.) which is probably why I like them so much :D

As for BG2, its got to be Korgan- even if I'm playing as a good party- he's just awesome
  • CentoparCentopar Member Posts: 17
    BG1 - Quayle was wonderfully aggravating. And it is impossible not to love Minsc.
    BG2 - Mazzy's story was so sad, and her voice was lovely. And I know that I'm going to come in for abuse over this, but I actually crushed quite hard on Anomen.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2012
    Viconia. She is great with command word die and hold person in bg1, and even better with turn undead and lots of anti-undead spells in soa.

For general NPC's I'm going to say Elminster. Mostly because when I first played the game I never knew of his power.
  • MooseChangerPatMooseChangerPat Member Posts: 148
    edited August 2012
    Dradeel. I freaking love Dradeel that poor mad elf cleirc mage. God I wish they hadn't knocked him off in BG2, he had the best recipes ever. I always wondered if you collected them all if it would make you a special cook book or something, or... I don't know, but it seemed like it secretly wanted you to collect all his cooking recipes.

Now if we're talking party members,

Haer'Dalis
    Xan
    Keldorn
    Minsc
    Imoen
    Jaheria
    Jan Jansen
    Mazzy
    Khalid

Huh... that's weird... I would have expected there to be more females on this list for some reason. o_O
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    I really enjoyed having Sarevok in my party during ToB, especially since the "Ascension" mod gives him extra interactions with Imoen after she gives him part of her soul... :)
    Edwin is starting to grown on me. Climbing the ranks quickly.
    edited August 2012
    Ken said:

BG1 - Korgan, I like the fact that he is just a stereotypical greedy dwarf without any epic story behind him
    BG2 - Keldorn, love how he struggles to be "good and rightius"

Overall, very hard to decide, they are all rather nice.. But I dislike Cernd, Mazzy and Imoen. A shame so many of the NPC's in BG1 come so late in the game..

Lol, I think you meant BG1 - Kagain. Everyone makes that mistake and I can hardly blame them, their names are so similar.

I love Kagain as well, although on a related note I despise Korgan. He feels like a try-hard.

And for all you mentioning Yeslick, yesss, Yeslick is awesome! Love that guy.
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    BG1: Tiax, Edwin, Viccy, Xan, Monty and Xzar. Does that make me evil? I also love Kivan and Minsc. Wow that is a long list for the first game, probably the amount of npcs in the second :p

BG2: Viccy and Edwin. (Bring back Xan for BG2, we need some serious pessimism surrounding the Bhaalspawn)
    IchigoRXC said:

BG2: Viccy and Edwin. (Bring back Xan for BG2, we need some serious pessimism surrounding the Bhaalspawn)

http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=164&Itemid=113
    A mod for you then!
    Though really, throw out the new soundset and use the BG1 version. The new one does NOT do him justice.
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    @Drugar I often use that mod, and will continue to do so after BG2EE (if compatible, if not I will have a little cry)