Skip to content

Question Regarding PaintBG Portrait Mod

Reaper004Reaper004 Member Posts: 19
Hey all, I just started playing Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition and I discovered PaintBG by 'artastrophe + Lava Del'Vortel' and I love the portraits, however, simply extracting them to C:\Users\PCNAME\Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition\Portraits does NOT replace the NPC [Keldorn, Jaheira, Minsc, Anomen, etc.] in-game Portraits. Is there any way to do that? I tried doing it with EE Keeper but the new NPC Portraits don't show up for use when I select "Change Portrait," only the new PC Portraits show. Any advice?

Mod Link:

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/55677-paintbg-introduction-and-samples/

Comments

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    First, I think the folder has to be 'portraits' with a small p. Also are the .bmp files 'loose' or are they in folders of their own?

More to the point, I don't think the mod has been updated for BG2:EE yet, so the BG2 characters won't be appropriately sized. However v.2 has the BG2 NPCs large portraits in the BG2:EE sizes, so if you manually re-size them for the M and S versions they will work :)
  • AkuroAkuro Member Posts: 93
    If you want to replace the portraits of npcs, you have to put the portraits into the "override" folder of the game - at least this is how it has been working until now.
    You can find out the name of the npc portrait with the known modding tools, for example "dltc editor" or near infinity.

For example, Jaheira's BG1 portraits were named something like
    "JAHEIRS.bmp"
    "JAHEIRM.bmp" and
    "JAHEIRL.bmp"

The Baldurs Gate 2 portraits of Jaheira were named somethink like

"NJAHEIRS.bmp" and so on.

Now if you took some new portraits, named them according to that "system" and put them into the override folder, the portraits of the npcs were changed to your liking, without further need for editing the character-files or using the shadowkeeper.

However, since BG2 EE has the feature of - let's call it - "auto-resizing", I'm not sure if this is the way to go anymore. Maybe it would be enough to put just a new portrait called "NJAHEIRM.bmp" into the override folder, and the game might do the rest?

Anyway, I got to check that out asap - I hope my comment is still of any use to you :)
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Auto-resizing doesn't seem to work with overriding NPC portraits at the moment, so the old method is the best one to go with =)
  • leeowensoasleeowensoas Member Posts: 81
    If you copy the highest res portrait "NJAHEIRL" and rename two copies of it (still in 210x330 or whatever) to "NJAHEIRM" and "NJAHEIRS" and put em in your override, the game auto-scales the high-res image down, resulting in a clearer image than the original small image. See here:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/25607/portrait-resolution-inconsistency#latest
  • Reaper004Reaper004 Member Posts: 19
    Yeah thanks every one, I figured it out, thanks!